Tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Do I have to do anything if I use a DAT tape from one drive and put it in another drive? Thanks...

  1. Tapes

    Do I have to do anything if I use a DAT tape from one drive and put it in
    another drive? Thanks

  2. Re: Tapes

    If you have used only softwate compression, you should be OK, assuming the
    drives are compatible, IE you can't read a DDS-3 tape on a DDS-2 drive, but
    should be able to go the other way). If you have used hardware compression,
    you're probably out of luck.

    andre wrote:

    > Do I have to do anything if I use a DAT tape from one drive and put it in
    > another drive? Thanks

  3. Re: Tapes

    Ken,

    Even if it is the same type of drive?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you have used only softwate compression, you should be OK, assuming the
    >drives are compatible, IE you can't read a DDS-3 tape on a DDS-2 drive,

    but
    >should be able to go the other way). If you have used hardware compression,
    >you're probably out of luck.
    >
    >andre wrote:
    >
    >> Do I have to do anything if I use a DAT tape from one drive and put it

    in
    >> another drive? Thanks

  4. Re: Tapes

    You should be OK. But sometimes different firmware levels of the
    same model drive will have different Hardware compression algoriths.

    Are you getting any specific error messages?

    andre wrote:

    > Ken,
    >
    > Even if it is the same type of drive?
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >If you have used only softwate compression, you should be OK, assuming the
    > >drives are compatible, IE you can't read a DDS-3 tape on a DDS-2 drive,

    > but
    > >should be able to go the other way). If you have used hardware compression,
    > >you're probably out of luck.
    > >
    > >andre wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do I have to do anything if I use a DAT tape from one drive and put it

    > in
    > >> another drive? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread