Tape Alert error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape Alert error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I get this error message even with a brand new tape: ----- TapeAlert Events ----- Warning Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1) The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost, but there has been a reduction in ...

  1. Tape Alert error

    I get this error message even with a brand new tape:

    ----- TapeAlert Events -----

    Warning
    Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost, but
    there has been a reduction in the capacity of the tape.

    Critical
    Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    Your data is at risk:
    1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    2. Do not use this tape again.
    3. Restart the operation with a different tape.

    I am just trying to figure out if this is a hardware and/or tape error.
    Any insights is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Tape Alert error

    No specific hits on the Knowledge Base, but here are a few thoughts:

    Try running a cleaning tape a couple of times

    Is this just one tape, or every new tape?

    Are the tapes the correct type for your drive (ie are you trying to
    use DDS-3 tapes in a DDS-2 drive?

    andre wrote:

    > I get this error message even with a brand new tape:
    >
    > ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >
    > Warning
    > Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    > The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost, but
    > there has been a reduction in the capacity of the tape.
    >
    > Critical
    > Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    > Your data is at risk:
    > 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    > 2. Do not use this tape again.
    > 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    >
    > I am just trying to figure out if this is a hardware and/or tape error.
    > Any insights is greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: Tape Alert error

    Cleaned the drive more than a few times.

    A few different tapes.

    Performance on one of my drive is greatly reduced. Only 8Mb or less.

    Trying to figure out if it's hardware or software or both.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >No specific hits on the Knowledge Base, but here are a few thoughts:
    >
    >Try running a cleaning tape a couple of times
    >
    >Is this just one tape, or every new tape?
    >
    >Are the tapes the correct type for your drive (ie are you trying to
    >use DDS-3 tapes in a DDS-2 drive?
    >
    >andre wrote:
    >
    >> I get this error message even with a brand new tape:
    >>
    >> ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >>
    >> Warning
    >> Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    >> The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost,

    but
    >> there has been a reduction in the capacity of the tape.
    >>
    >> Critical
    >> Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    >> Your data is at risk:
    >> 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    >> 2. Do not use this tape again.
    >> 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    >>
    >> I am just trying to figure out if this is a hardware and/or tape error.
    >> Any insights is greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: Tape Alert error

    Its a hardware alert, ECC-code repair is at an eccessive rate, lots of dead
    bits on the tape.
    Do not use the tape anymore also in its possibly a dirty head.
    The Tape Alert feature inside the tape drive is sending the alert to BENT.
    Run the cleaning tape, 5 times or so, if the cleaning finishes in "seconds"
    note that the cleaning tape is finished.
    HPs recommendations on head cleaning:
    DDS-3.....every 25h of running tape
    DDS-4.....every 50h of running tape

    Hope this helps
    jk

    "andre" wrote in message news:387e3d92@hronntp01....

    > Cleaned the drive more than a few times.
    > A few different tapes.
    > Performance on one of my drive is greatly reduced. Only 8Mb or less.
    > Trying to figure out if it's hardware or software or both.
    > Any insights is greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >No specific hits on the Knowledge Base, but here are a few thoughts:
    > >Try running a cleaning tape a couple of times
    > >Is this just one tape, or every new tape?
    > >
    > >Are the tapes the correct type for your drive (ie are you trying to
    > >use DDS-3 tapes in a DDS-2 drive?
    > >
    > >andre wrote:
    > >
    > >> I get this error message even with a brand new tape:
    > >>
    > >> ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    > >>
    > >> Warning
    > >> Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    > >> The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost,

    > but
    > >> there has been a reduction in the capacity of the tape.
    > >>
    > >> Critical
    > >> Device: COMPAQ 0 (MS1)
    > >> Your data is at risk:
    > >> 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    > >> 2. Do not use this tape again.
    > >> 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    > >>
    > >> I am just trying to figure out if this is a hardware and/or tape

    error.
    > >> Any insights is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread