Excluding Temporary Internet Files - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Excluding Temporary Internet Files - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575 I have a large user disk which has the following structure:- \\servername\p$\users\Username. What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files within the users home directories. I have tried various ...

  1. Excluding Temporary Internet Files

    Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575

    I have a large user disk which has the following structure:-

    \\servername\p$\users\Username.

    What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files
    within the users home directories.

    I have tried various combinations in the exclude list but I just cannot
    exclude the temporary internet files.

    I have tried the following to exclude the Temporary Internet Files:

    \\*\*\Temporary Internet Files\

    \\Servername\P$\users\*.*\Temporary Internet Files

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    John Harris

  2. Re: Excluding Temporary Internet Files

    I have the same problem!!

    "John" wrote:
    >Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575
    >
    >I have a large user disk which has the following structure:-
    >
    >\\servername\p$\users\Username.
    >
    >What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files
    >within the users home directories.
    >
    >I have tried various combinations in the exclude list but I just cannot
    >exclude the temporary internet files.
    >
    >I have tried the following to exclude the Temporary Internet Files:
    >
    >\\*\*\Temporary Internet Files\
    >
    >\\Servername\P$\users\*.*\Temporary Internet Files
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >John Harris

  3. Re: Excluding Temporary Internet Files

    John wrote:

    > Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575
    >
    > I have a large user disk which has the following structure:-
    >
    > \\servername\p$\users\Username.
    >
    > What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files
    > within the users home directories.
    >
    > I have tried various combinations in the exclude list but I just cannot
    > exclude the temporary internet files.
    >
    > I have tried the following to exclude the Temporary Internet Files:
    >
    > \\*\*\Temporary Internet Files\
    >
    > \\Servername\P$\users\*.*\Temporary Internet Files

    John,

    I'm having the same problems. After contacting Veritas via e-mail,
    they suggested using the underscore character ("_") instead of spaces in
    the path names. It didn't work for me, and they haven't replied to
    further questions on the subject. Perhaps it will work better for you?

    --
    Bruce K
    (Please fix return address if responding directly via e-mail.)

  4. Re: Excluding Temporary Internet Files

    Replies inline

    John wrote:

    > Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575
    >
    > I have a large user disk which has the following structure:-
    >
    > \\servername\p$\users\Username.
    >
    > What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files
    > within the users home directories.
    >
    > I have tried various combinations in the exclude list but I just cannot
    > exclude the temporary internet files.
    >
    > I have tried the following to exclude the Temporary Internet Files:
    >
    > \\*\*\Temporary Internet Files\

    That will ignore a directory called Temporary Internet Files in the root of
    any drive on any server

    As I understand, what you want is

    \\*\*\users\*\Temporary Internet Files in the path box. If the spaces are
    a problem, try including the
    complete path in double quotes <">. Works in an NT command prompt to
    overcome spaces in file and directory nbames, may work here.

    > \\Servername\P$\users\*.*\Temporary Internet Files
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Harris

  5. Re: Excluding Temporary Internet Files

    I have tried both suggestions.

    Unfortunately they did not work.

    Thanks for your help.

    John

    Ken Putnam wrote in message
    > Replies inline
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > Backupexec Ver 7.3 Build 2575
    > >
    > > I have a large user disk which has the following structure:-
    > >
    > > \\servername\p$\users\Username.
    > >
    > > What I need to do is to exclude all of the temporary internet files
    > > within the users home directories.
    > >
    > > I have tried various combinations in the exclude list but I just cannot
    > > exclude the temporary internet files.
    > >
    > > I have tried the following to exclude the Temporary Internet Files:
    > >
    > > \\*\*\Temporary Internet Files\
    > >

    > That will ignore a directory called Temporary Internet Files in the root

    of
    > any drive on any server
    >
    > As I understand, what you want is
    >
    > \\*\*\users\*\Temporary Internet Files in the path box. If the spaces are
    > a problem, try including the
    > complete path in double quotes <">. Works in an NT command prompt to
    > overcome spaces in file and directory nbames, may work here.
    >

    > > \\Servername\P$\users\*.*\Temporary Internet Files
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John Harris

+ Reply to Thread