OFO: A WIN32 error has occurred - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on OFO: A WIN32 error has occurred - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have just installed the 'real' version of 7.3 over a trial version, but am now getting an OFO: WIN32 error on only one of the two drives on the server (drive d I'm doing an Exchange backup and then ...

  1. OFO: A WIN32 error has occurred

    I have just installed the 'real' version of 7.3 over a trial version, but am
    now getting an OFO: WIN32 error on only one of the two drives on the server
    (drive d

    I'm doing an Exchange backup and then a file backup of the C: and D: drives
    of my server in the same job. BackupExec and the tape drives are installed
    locally. OFO has no problems on the C: drive, but will get the following
    error message when starting D:

    OFO: A WIN32 error has occurred.
    OFO: Initialization failure on:" error message. "D:"

    I've HAVE checked Veritas' web support site for this error and have ended up
    with the following document:
    http://seer.support.Veritas.com/tnot...10--102838.htm.

    However, this doesn't fix my problem. My registry entry is blank, meaning
    that OFO will use the root of the D: drive. The BackupExec service account
    has Full rights to the root of the D: drive (the default by the registry)
    and EVERY directory for that matter since it's a Domain Admin account and
    I've set permissions so Domain Admins have Full access. Yet, it doesn't
    work. I've even deleted and readded the account to no avail.

    Because of the error (even if the backup continued and finished), the backup
    job will be placed "On Hold" and will not process the next night's backups
    until I manually abort/delete the job. This is not a very ideal
    situation...

    Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bret M. Thomas
    Bowhead Support Services, Inc.
    Department of Transportation
    Office of the CIO, OST (S-80)
    400 Seventh St., SW; Room 6104
    Washington, DC 20590
    Phone: (202)493-2187

  2. Re: A WIN32 error has occurred

    In the OFO wizard, make sure you have adjusted the incremental and initial

    size of static volume, try 100 and 300 instead of 10 and 30.

    Sometimes, the problem is related to permissions on the drive that static

    volume is being created on, when in doubt try giving everyone, full control

    to troubleshoot.

    The last possibility, is a 3rd party application conflict- a call to tech

    support would be the only way to determine that, however.

    Also, make sure 10% of

    the capacity of the disk is free space. In control panel/services, of each

    machine you want OFO to protect, make sure that VNC Snapshot service is

    present and either automatic or manual in startup type.

    "Bret Thomas" wrote in message
    > I have just installed the 'real' version of 7.3 over a trial version, but

    am
    > now getting an OFO: WIN32 error on only one of the two drives on the

    server
    > (drive d
    >
    > I'm doing an Exchange backup and then a file backup of the C: and D:

    drives
    > of my server in the same job. BackupExec and the tape drives are

    installed
    > locally. OFO has no problems on the C: drive, but will get the following
    > error message when starting D:
    >
    > OFO: A WIN32 error has occurred.
    > OFO: Initialization failure on:" error message. "D:"
    >
    > I've HAVE checked Veritas' web support site for this error and have ended

    up
    > with the following document:
    > http://seer.support.Veritas.com/tnot...10--102838.htm.
    >
    > However, this doesn't fix my problem. My registry entry is blank, meaning
    > that OFO will use the root of the D: drive. The BackupExec service

    account
    > has Full rights to the root of the D: drive (the default by the registry)
    > and EVERY directory for that matter since it's a Domain Admin account and
    > I've set permissions so Domain Admins have Full access. Yet, it doesn't
    > work. I've even deleted and readded the account to no avail.
    >
    > Because of the error (even if the backup continued and finished), the

    backup
    > job will be placed "On Hold" and will not process the next night's backups
    > until I manually abort/delete the job. This is not a very ideal
    > situation...
    >
    > Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bret M. Thomas
    > Bowhead Support Services, Inc.
    > Department of Transportation