Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question - Veritas Backup Exec ; We're going to be switching to Exchange this year. We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow individual restores of mailboxes. When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up individually? Say ...

  1. Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.

    We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow individual
    restores of mailboxes.

    When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up individually?
    Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone in
    a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    (one time for each user in the postoffice?)

    It seems to me that the file would be backed up multiple times...otherwise,
    when doing a restore, the tape would have to be accessed somewhat randomly
    to get all the messages for an individual's mailbox.

    I would appreciate any info from people who know how this thing works.

    Thanks,

    Brad

  2. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    "Brad Oldham" wrote in message

    > We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    >
    > We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    individual
    > restores of mailboxes.
    >
    > When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    individually?
    > Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone in
    > a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    > (one time for each user in the postoffice?)

    Yes, that is the way a brick mailbox backups works. Remember that you'll
    backup Exchange twice... once as brick and once as a database.

  3. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    Why do you have to backup the database twice? What's the difference between
    a brick backup and a database backup???

    Thanks,

    Brad

    "Todd E. Toles" wrote:

    >"Brad Oldham" wrote in message
    >>
    >> We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    >>
    >> We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    >individual
    >> restores of mailboxes.
    >>
    >> When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    >individually?
    >> Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone

    in
    >> a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    >> (one time for each user in the postoffice?)

    >Yes, that is the way a brick mailbox backups works. Remember that you'll
    >backup Exchange twice... once as brick and once as a database.

  4. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    Are you familiar with PST (Personal Storage Files) in Outlook/Exchange? What
    BE does is start an Outlook session for every mailbox and save all of the
    data to a PST file and it gets backed up to tape. In your file selection for
    the backup job you have to choose each mailbox to backup. It's a very
    lengthy process and I would suggest that you only backup the mangers in your
    department if anyone at all.

    Exchange does not create multiple instances of the same attachment when sent
    to multiple people which makes the database run much more efficiently.

    - Alex

    > We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    >
    > We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    individual
    > restores of mailboxes.
    >
    > When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    individually?
    > Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone in
    > a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    > (one time for each user in the postoffice?)
    >
    > It seems to me that the file would be backed up multiple

    times...otherwise,
    > when doing a restore, the tape would have to be accessed somewhat randomly
    > to get all the messages for an individual's mailbox.
    >
    > I would appreciate any info from people who know how this thing works.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brad

  5. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    If you were smart you would not backup Exchange with Bricks. Bricks are
    bad. You should setup your Exchange box correctly with deletion times.
    These hold deleted messages for a certain period of time, you can always
    restore then without going to tape. You can set an indefinate time, all
    depends on your drive space.

    Todd

    Brad Oldham wrote in message news:3873c107@hronntp01....

    > We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    >
    > We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    individual
    > restores of mailboxes.
    >
    > When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    individually?
    > Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone in
    > a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    > (one time for each user in the postoffice?)
    >
    > It seems to me that the file would be backed up multiple

    times...otherwise,
    > when doing a restore, the tape would have to be accessed somewhat randomly
    > to get all the messages for an individual's mailbox.
    >
    > I would appreciate any info from people who know how this thing works.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brad

  6. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    A "normal" Exchange backup will backup do a backup of Exchange database
    files dir.edb, priv.edb and pub.edb and the log files associated with them.
    When you go to do a restore, you end up restoring the ENTIRE database (dir,
    pub or priv). This is a good option for doing fast distaster recovery of
    crashed servers, but won't allow easy restores of user mailboxes or
    messages.

    A "bricks" Exchange backup will backup each individual mailbox/resource on
    the Exchange server. The older versions of "bricks" didn't work very well
    and were problematic. The new versions of BackupExec's 'bricks' (7.2/7.3)
    work very well, however.

    If you tell your backup job to back up the database files AND the mailboxes,
    you will, in essence, be backing up the database twice. If you have the
    tapes to do this, it's never a bad idea to have more than one avenue for a
    restore.

    With Exchange 5.5, though, you can set your "Deleted Item Retention Time" so
    that you will not (hopefully) have to go to tape. IF you have the disk
    space, set the time to 14 or 30 days. That way if a user deletes a message
    or a folder, you can use the Outlook client, go to their "Deleted Items"
    folder and select "Recover Deleted Items" from the Tools menu. 9 times out
    of 10, this will save you from having to restore from tape. With this 5.5
    feature, the bricks option really only becomes useful if an administrator
    accidently deletes a user's mailbox (it happens!) or if a user empties their
    'recoverable items' but needs something back from it.

    > Why do you have to backup the database twice? What's the difference

    between
    > a brick backup and a database backup???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brad
    >
    > "Todd E. Toles" wrote:
    > >
    > >"Brad Oldham" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    > >>
    > >> We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    > >individual
    > >> restores of mailboxes.
    > >>
    > >> When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    > >individually?
    > >> Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone

    > in
    > >> a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples

    times
    > >> (one time for each user in the postoffice?)

    > >Yes, that is the way a brick mailbox backups works. Remember that you'll
    > >backup Exchange twice... once as brick and once as a database.

  7. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    I have heard brick level restores are bad, not necessarily the backup of the
    individual mailbox. It's the restore that corrupts the Exchange database.
    With that said, you should do brick level backups to give you one more restore
    option in an absolute "emergency" situation, when all else has failed. Would
    you agree?

    "Todd" wrote:
    >If you were smart you would not backup Exchange with Bricks. Bricks are
    >bad. You should setup your Exchange box correctly with deletion times.
    >These hold deleted messages for a certain period of time, you can always
    >restore then without going to tape. You can set an indefinate time, all
    >depends on your drive space.
    >
    >Todd
    >

    >Brad Oldham wrote in message news:3873c107@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    >>
    >> We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    >individual
    >> restores of mailboxes.
    >>
    >> When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    >individually?
    >> Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone

    in
    >> a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples times
    >> (one time for each user in the postoffice?)
    >>
    >> It seems to me that the file would be backed up multiple

    >times...otherwise,
    >> when doing a restore, the tape would have to be accessed somewhat randomly
    >> to get all the messages for an individual's mailbox.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any info from people who know how this thing works.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Brad

  8. Re: Exchange 5.5 Agent Backup Question

    Restores with brick level backups should not correupt the Exchange database.
    VERITAS is doing standard MAPI calls; nothing fancy that would cause trouble
    with Exchange.

    > >> We're going to be switching to Exchange this year.
    > >>
    > >> We are aware that Backup Exec's Exchange Agent is suppose to allow

    > >individual
    > >> restores of mailboxes.
    > >>
    > >> When a backup occurs of an Exchange server, is each mailbox backed up

    > >individually?
    > >> Say someone sends a message with a 10 meg attachment out to everyone

    > in
    > >> a post office. Will this 10 meg attachment get backed up multiples

    times
    > >> (one time for each user in the postoffice?)
    > >>
    > >> It seems to me that the file would be backed up multiple

    > >times...otherwise,
    > >> when doing a restore, the tape would have to be accessed somewhat

    randomly
    > >> to get all the messages for an individual's mailbox.
    > >>
    > >> I would appreciate any info from people who know how this thing works.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Brad

+ Reply to Thread