Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Using Backup Exec on a Windows NT Server, with a SCSI DLC tape drive. The system can do simple, manual backups. But each night there is a scheduled backup up the server as well as several PC's over the network. ...

  1. Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    Using Backup Exec on a Windows NT Server, with a SCSI DLC tape drive. The
    system can do simple, manual backups. But each night there is a scheduled
    backup up the server as well as several PC's over the network. The total
    backup is usually about 25GB.

    2 weeks ago it stopped working. The job would stop around 21GB and just sit
    there. The system still responds but the job cannot be aborted. In the event
    log, it had caused a License violation in NT, so I thought adding licenses
    would slear it up. It hasn't. Now the system still stops backing up and there
    are no errors reported. The logs are empty because we have to reboot the
    server in order to abort the job.

    Could it still be related to licenses?

  2. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    Have you tried to make a new backup of about 5 or so gigs? If so, does it
    hang somewhere in that?

    "Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    > Using Backup Exec on a Windows NT Server, with a SCSI DLC tape drive. The
    > system can do simple, manual backups. But each night there is a scheduled
    > backup up the server as well as several PC's over the network. The total
    > backup is usually about 25GB.
    >
    > 2 weeks ago it stopped working. The job would stop around 21GB and just

    sit
    > there. The system still responds but the job cannot be aborted. In the

    event
    > log, it had caused a License violation in NT, so I thought adding licenses
    > would slear it up. It hasn't. Now the system still stops backing up and

    there
    > are no errors reported. The logs are empty because we have to reboot the
    > server in order to abort the job.
    >
    > Could it still be related to licenses?

  3. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    Yes, I have done an 8GB backup, and it worked fine.

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Have you tried to make a new backup of about 5 or so gigs? If so, does

    it
    >hang somewhere in that?
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Using Backup Exec on a Windows NT Server, with a SCSI DLC tape drive.

    The
    >> system can do simple, manual backups. But each night there is a scheduled
    >> backup up the server as well as several PC's over the network. The total
    >> backup is usually about 25GB.
    >>
    >> 2 weeks ago it stopped working. The job would stop around 21GB and just

    >sit
    >> there. The system still responds but the job cannot be aborted. In the

    >event
    >> log, it had caused a License violation in NT, so I thought adding licenses
    >> would slear it up. It hasn't. Now the system still stops backing up and

    >there
    >> are no errors reported. The logs are empty because we have to reboot the
    >> server in order to abort the job.
    >>
    >> Could it still be related to licenses?

  4. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    Will the original work if you turn verify off?

    > Yes, I have done an 8GB backup, and it worked fine.
    >

    > "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    > >Have you tried to make a new backup of about 5 or so gigs? If so, does

    > it
    > >hang somewhere in that?
    > >

    > >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Using Backup Exec on a Windows NT Server, with a SCSI DLC tape drive.

    > The
    > >> system can do simple, manual backups. But each night there is a

    scheduled
    > >> backup up the server as well as several PC's over the network. The

    total
    > >> backup is usually about 25GB.
    > >>
    > >> 2 weeks ago it stopped working. The job would stop around 21GB and just

    > >sit
    > >> there. The system still responds but the job cannot be aborted. In the

    > >event
    > >> log, it had caused a License violation in NT, so I thought adding

    licenses
    > >> would slear it up. It hasn't. Now the system still stops backing up and

    > >there
    > >> are no errors reported. The logs are empty because we have to reboot

    the
    > >> server in order to abort the job.
    > >>
    > >> Could it still be related to licenses?

  5. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yes, I have done an 8GB backup, and it worked fine.
    >>

    >> "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >> >Have you tried to make a new backup of about 5 or so gigs? If so, does

    >> it
    >> >hang somewhere in that?
    >> >

    >> >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    >> The

    >scheduled

    >total

    just
    >> >sit

    the
    >> >event

    >licenses

    and
    >> >there

    >the

  6. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    I have a similar problem which I've been struggling with for
    over 2 months now. Backups of my Exchange server hang at
    different points each time. I've opened tickets with Veritas and HP to
    no avail, and tried everything I can think of... I'll
    try to find my last post in which I listed everything I've tried.
    Let me know if you find the miracle cure!

    -Dave

    "Jeremy Lundy" wrote:

    >I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >

    >"Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >>Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >>

    >>"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I have done an 8GB backup, and it worked fine.

    >>> it

    >>> The

    >>scheduled

    >>total

    >just

    >the

    >>licenses

    >and

    >>the

  7. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    monitor memory usage?

    Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.

    > I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >

    > "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    > >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    > >

    > >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Yes, I have done an 8GB backup, and it worked fine.

    does
    > >> it

    drive.
    > >> The

    > >scheduled

    > >total

    > just

    > the

    > >licenses

    > and

    > >the

  8. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    >monitor memory usage?
    >
    >Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    >selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >>

    >> "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >> >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >> >

    >> >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    >does

    >drive.
    >> >scheduled
    >> >total

    >> just

    In
    >> the
    >> >licenses

    up
    >> and
    >> >the

  9. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    >monitor memory usage?
    >
    >Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    >selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >>

    >> "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >> >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >> >

    >> >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    >does

    >drive.
    >> >scheduled
    >> >total

    >> just

    In
    >> the
    >> >licenses

    up
    >> and
    >> >the

  10. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    >monitor memory usage?
    >
    >Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    >selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >>

    >> "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >> >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >> >

    >> >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    >does

    >drive.
    >> >scheduled
    >> >total

    >> just

    In
    >> the
    >> >licenses

    up
    >> and
    >> >the

  11. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    >monitor memory usage?
    >
    >Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    >selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.
    >

    >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.
    >>

    >> "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >> >Will the original work if you turn verify off?
    >> >

    >> >"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message

    >does

    >drive.
    >> >scheduled
    >> >total

    >> just

    In
    >> the
    >> >licenses

    up
    >> and
    >> >the

    that have happened about 8 weeks apart and were about the same symtons. After
    rebooting everything is fine. Sometimes the exchange server stops responding
    than works after reboots but it is actually not even working. I do not understand
    some of the errors messages and im at a loss . Please help with any info
    concerning my messages.
    Thanks
    tammym

  12. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    I don't know if this will help, but you can save the job log-in-progress
    before you reboot by double-clicking on the job in Job Monitor window, look
    at what the log file name is (e.g. BEX00.txt), then go to \Program
    Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Data, find that file, make a copy (name it
    BEX00back.txt or something), then do your reboot. You'll lose the
    BEX00.txt, but the copy you made won't be deleted and may contain the
    information up to the time the job hung.

  13. Re: Backup "hangs" halfway through network backup

    "tammym" wrote:

    >"Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >>Do you have any network management software (like NetIQ) where you can
    >>monitor memory usage?
    >>
    >>Also, you might want to take a look at the text version of your backup
    >>selections and make sure that what is listed actually exists.
    >>

    >>"Jeremy Lundy" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I may try that, but it is stopping before Verify begins.

    >>does

    >>drive.

    The

    and
    >>> just

    >In
    >>> the

    >up
    >>> and

    >that have happened about 8 weeks apart and were about the same symtons.

    After
    >rebooting everything is fine. Sometimes the exchange server stops responding
    >than works after reboots but it is actually not even working. I do not understand
    >some of the errors messages and im at a loss . Please help with any info
    >concerning my messages.
    >Thanks
    >tammym

    We started having that problem about 3 weeks ago.
    Updated the device drivers. (Adic DLT400's)
    Ended up using the latest drivers from Veritas. Haven't had a problem since.

    mca
    Boston

+ Reply to Thread