How do I make media "Overwritable" again? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do I make media "Overwritable" again? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have no idea why I keep getting the below message, esp. after I loaded & labeled a brand new tape. ----- Please insert overwritable media into slot: 6 Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that ...

  1. How do I make media "Overwritable" again?

    -----
    Please insert overwritable media into slot: 6

    Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media.
    Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite
    Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be
    overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more
    information on overwritable media.

  2. Re: How do I make media "Overwritable" again?

    Erase it, label it, or move it to the scratch set

    "Kevin McGrath" wrote in message

    > I have no idea why I keep getting the below message, esp. after
    > I loaded & labeled a brand new tape.
    > -----
    > Please insert overwritable media into slot: 6
    >
    > Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media.
    > Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite
    > Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be
    > overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more
    > information on overwritable media.

  3. Re: How do I make media "Overwritable" again?

    I get the feeling that Backup Exec doesn't always check to see if there is a
    tape in the drive, it just tells you to load one. If you've already done so,
    try leaving the tape in and press Go or Continue or whatever it is. On other
    occasions when Backup Exec asks this such questions, it doesn't mean that it
    doesn't like the tape in the drive, just that it doesn't recognise it. It
    all depends on the settings of various media overwrite/ report alert
    options. Once it has written to a tape and placed it into a user media set,
    it's usually OK for the future.

    Ken McNulty

    Tim wrote in message <385fdbdc@hronntp01.>...
    >Erase it, label it, or move it to the scratch set
    >
    >"Kevin McGrath" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have no idea why I keep getting the below message, esp. after
    >> I loaded & labeled a brand new tape.
    >> -----
    >> Please insert overwritable media into slot: 6
    >>
    >> Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media.
    >> Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite
    >> Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be
    >> overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more
    >> information on overwritable media.

  4. Re: How do I make media "Overwritable" again?

    Do you run an inventory after loading tapes? If you do not,
    BENT assumes that the last tape it knew about is still loaded.

    The only exception to this rule, that I have found, is if you do
    a software tape eject rather than a hardware tape eject.

    Hope this helps

    Kevin McGrath wrote:

    > I have no idea why I keep getting the below message, esp. after
    > I loaded & labeled a brand new tape.
    > -----
    > Please insert overwritable media into slot: 6
    >
    > Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media.
    > Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite
    > Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be
    > overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more
    > information on overwritable media.

+ Reply to Thread