Media Set - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Set - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi. I'm new to using Backup Exec. We run BE 7.3, Build 2575 on an NT4.0 server, and use an Exabyte 210 tape vault, which holds 10 8MM tapes. I don't know how to set up Media Sets to fit ...

  1. Media Set

    Hi.

    I'm new to using Backup Exec. We run BE 7.3, Build 2575 on an NT4.0
    server, and use an Exabyte 210 tape vault, which holds 10 8MM tapes.

    I don't know how to set up Media Sets to fit with our current off-site
    storage scheme. This is what we do: We use three sets of tapes,
    called A, B & C. Every Wednesday morning, the previous week's set is
    returned while the current week's set gets stored off-site.

    From what I can tell in my testing, when a tape gets full, the Exabyte
    drive takes any available tape from the user media set and starts
    backing up to it. My question is this: When I get my first set back
    three weeks later, how do I make sure that this week's backup jobs
    will be written to the same physical tapes that were just returned
    from our off-site storage? I have set the Overwrite and Append period
    to 3 weeks.

    Should I create three Media Sets A, B, C and just replace the entire
    10 tape-set every Wednesday?

  2. Re: Media Set

    That would be the easiest way to guarantee what you want.

    Or you can read through the ADAMM manual and find out
    how BENT handles tape management.

    Ben Han wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm new to using Backup Exec. We run BE 7.3, Build 2575 on an NT4.0
    > server, and use an Exabyte 210 tape vault, which holds 10 8MM tapes.
    >
    > I don't know how to set up Media Sets to fit with our current off-site
    > storage scheme. This is what we do: We use three sets of tapes,
    > called A, B & C. Every Wednesday morning, the previous week's set is
    > returned while the current week's set gets stored off-site.
    >
    > From what I can tell in my testing, when a tape gets full, the Exabyte
    > drive takes any available tape from the user media set and starts
    > backing up to it. My question is this: When I get my first set back
    > three weeks later, how do I make sure that this week's backup jobs
    > will be written to the same physical tapes that were just returned
    > from our off-site storage? I have set the Overwrite and Append period
    > to 3 weeks.
    >
    > Should I create three Media Sets A, B, C and just replace the entire
    > 10 tape-set every Wednesday?

  3. Re: Media Set

    Actually, if you have 7.3, look at using partitions. It's the way media
    management works in 6.11 and was reintroduced in 7.3 via a command line
    utility partutil.exe. You are correct about media management. BE will grab
    any scratch tape that it needs to do a backup. If you want to make a
    particular job go on a particular tape, then you want to use partitions.

    Hope this helps
    Todd

    "KenPutnam" wrote in message
    > That would be the easiest way to guarantee what you want.
    >
    > Or you can read through the ADAMM manual and find out
    > how BENT handles tape management.
    >

    > Ben Han wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I'm new to using Backup Exec. We run BE 7.3, Build 2575 on an NT4.0
    > > server, and use an Exabyte 210 tape vault, which holds 10 8MM tapes.
    > >
    > > I don't know how to set up Media Sets to fit with our current off-site
    > > storage scheme. This is what we do: We use three sets of tapes,
    > > called A, B & C. Every Wednesday morning, the previous week's set is
    > > returned while the current week's set gets stored off-site.
    > >
    > > From what I can tell in my testing, when a tape gets full, the Exabyte
    > > drive takes any available tape from the user media set and starts
    > > backing up to it. My question is this: When I get my first set back
    > > three weeks later, how do I make sure that this week's backup jobs
    > > will be written to the same physical tapes that were just returned
    > > from our off-site storage? I have set the Overwrite and Append period
    > > to 3 weeks.
    > >
    > > Should I create three Media Sets A, B, C and just replace the entire
    > > 10 tape-set every Wednesday?

  4. Re: Media Set

    I have to look into this partition utility. Is there any
    documentation for it?

    I had another thought: What if I create a media set for each of the
    servers I'm backing up, e.g. All jobs for Server1 is backed up to
    Media Set named Server1, all jobs for Server2 is backed up to Media
    Set named Server2, and so on. The only "problem" I foresee with this
    scheme is that if I remove a particular tape from the tape vault and
    then put it back in the vault three weeks later, how will BENT know
    that I want the upcoming job to go to that tape?

    On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:09:40 -0600, "veritas" wrote:

    >Actually, if you have 7.3, look at using partitions. It's the way media
    >management works in 6.11 and was reintroduced in 7.3 via a command line
    >utility partutil.exe. You are correct about media management. BE will grab
    >any scratch tape that it needs to do a backup. If you want to make a
    >particular job go on a particular tape, then you want to use partitions.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >Todd
    >

    >"KenPutnam" wrote in message
    >> That would be the easiest way to guarantee what you want.
    >>
    >> Or you can read through the ADAMM manual and find out
    >> how BENT handles tape management.
    >>

    >> Ben Han wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi.
    >> >
    >> > I'm new to using Backup Exec. We run BE 7.3, Build 2575 on an NT4.0
    >> > server, and use an Exabyte 210 tape vault, which holds 10 8MM tapes.
    >> >
    >> > I don't know how to set up Media Sets to fit with our current off-site
    >> > storage scheme. This is what we do: We use three sets of tapes,
    >> > called A, B & C. Every Wednesday morning, the previous week's set is
    >> > returned while the current week's set gets stored off-site.
    >> >
    >> > From what I can tell in my testing, when a tape gets full, the Exabyte
    >> > drive takes any available tape from the user media set and starts
    >> > backing up to it. My question is this: When I get my first set back
    >> > three weeks later, how do I make sure that this week's backup jobs
    >> > will be written to the same physical tapes that were just returned
    >> > from our off-site storage? I have set the Overwrite and Append period
    >> > to 3 weeks.
    >> >
    >> > Should I create three Media Sets A, B, C and just replace the entire
    >> > 10 tape-set every Wednesday?

  5. Re: Media Set

    One of the options you can set is "use overwriteable media in media set before
    scratch media"
    This will write to expired tapes in the same media set before using other
    overwritable media.

    Ben Han wrote:

    > I have to look into this partition utility. Is there any
    > documentation for it?
    >
    > I had another thought: What if I create a media set for each of the
    > servers I'm backing up, e.g. All jobs for Server1 is backed up to
    > Media Set named Server1, all jobs for Server2 is backed up to Media
    > Set named Server2, and so on. The only "problem" I foresee with this
    > scheme is that if I remove a particular tape from the tape vault and
    > then put it back in the vault three weeks later, how will BENT know
    > that I want the upcoming job to go to that tape?
    >
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:09:40 -0600, "veritas" wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, if you have 7.3, look at using partitions. It's the way media
    > >management works in 6.11 and was reintroduced in 7.3 via a command line
    > >utility partutil.exe. You are correct about media management. BE will grab
    > >any scratch tape that it needs to do a backup. If you want to make a
    > >particular job go on a particular tape, then you want to use partitions.
    > >
    > >Hope this helps
    > >Todd
    > >

    > >"KenPutnam" wrote in message
    > >> That would be the easiest way to guarantee what you want.
    > >>
    > >> Or you can read through the ADAMM manual and find out
    > >> how BENT handles tape management.

  6. Re: Media Set

    Yes, there is documention in the PDFs on the CD on how to use it. The
    utility is called partutil.exe and is in the utils dir on your CD.

    "Ben Han" wrote in message
    news:385fbe9b.606189824@news.support.veritas.com.. .
    > I have to look into this partition utility. Is there any
    > documentation for it?
    >
    > I had another thought: What if I create a media set for each of the
    > servers I'm backing up, e.g. All jobs for Server1 is backed up to
    > Media Set named Server1, all jobs for Server2 is backed up to Media
    > Set named Server2, and so on. The only "problem" I foresee with this
    > scheme is that if I remove a particular tape from the tape vault and
    > then put it back in the vault three weeks later, how will BENT know
    > that I want the upcoming job to go to that tape?
    >

    > On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:09:40 -0600, "veritas" wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, if you have 7.3, look at using partitions. It's the way media
    > >management works in 6.11 and was reintroduced in 7.3 via a command line
    > >utility partutil.exe. You are correct about media management. BE will

    grab
    > >any scratch tape that it needs to do a backup. If you want to make a
    > >particular job go on a particular tape, then you want to use partitions.
    > >
    > >Hope this helps
    > >Todd
    > >

    > >"KenPutnam" wrote in message
    > >> That would be the easiest way to guarantee what you want.
    > >>
    > >> Or you can read through the ADAMM manual and find out
    > >> how BENT handles tape management.

    off-site

    Exabyte

    period

  7. Re: Media Set

    Documentation is found in the PDFs on your CD or I believe in the printed
    manuals also.

+ Reply to Thread