Old Tape / New Server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Old Tape / New Server - Veritas Backup Exec ; I had a server hard drive crash, but fortunately had almost finished building a completely new server as a replacement. I need to pull the data off the backup tape from the old server and restore to the new drive. ...

  1. Old Tape / New Server

    I had a server hard drive crash, but fortunately had almost finished building
    a completely new server as a replacement. I need to pull the data off the
    backup tape from the old server and restore to the new drive. I have inventoried
    and cataloged the tape in the new server, I can see the tape under both the
    device and media tabs, but when I go to restore, no media is shown. The
    window in volume-centric and media-centric views is blank. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: Old Tape / New Server

    I get no errors...the log says it completed sucessfully. Also, if I catalog
    it again, BE tells me that the tape has already been cataloged, and I can
    see the drives that were backed up in the log.

    My original tape drive is a DDS-3 single tape, and the new one is a DDS-3
    autoloader (4 tape magazine). However, I can load tapes individually into
    the autoloader. Tried it, same result.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Does the catalog job give any indication of any kind that it
    >didn't complete sucessfully in the job log?
    >
    >Same tape drive?, or same mfg/type?
    >
    >Brian wrote:
    >
    >> I had a server hard drive crash, but fortunately had almost finished building
    >> a completely new server as a replacement. I need to pull the data off

    the
    >> backup tape from the old server and restore to the new drive. I have

    inventoried
    >> and cataloged the tape in the new server, I can see the tape under both

    the
    >> device and media tabs, but when I go to restore, no media is shown. The
    >> window in volume-centric and media-centric views is blank. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Brian

  3. Re: Old Tape / New Server

    have you every been able to import tapes on this 2nd system?
    Id your backup job set for hardware compression?

    If all else fails, try attaching the original drive to the new system.

    Brian wrote:

    > I get no errors...the log says it completed sucessfully. Also, if I catalog
    > it again, BE tells me that the tape has already been cataloged, and I can
    > see the drives that were backed up in the log.
    >
    > My original tape drive is a DDS-3 single tape, and the new one is a DDS-3
    > autoloader (4 tape magazine). However, I can load tapes individually into
    > the autoloader. Tried it, same result.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Does the catalog job give any indication of any kind that it
    > >didn't complete sucessfully in the job log?
    > >
    > >Same tape drive?, or same mfg/type?
    > >
    > >Brian wrote:
    > >
    > >> I had a server hard drive crash, but fortunately had almost finished building
    > >> a completely new server as a replacement. I need to pull the data off

    > the
    > >> backup tape from the old server and restore to the new drive. I have

    > inventoried
    > >> and cataloged the tape in the new server, I can see the tape under both

    > the
    > >> device and media tabs, but when I go to restore, no media is shown. The
    > >> window in volume-centric and media-centric views is blank. Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Brian

  4. Re: Old Tape / New Server

    have you every been able to import tapes on this 2nd system?
    Is your backup job set for hardware compression?

    Brian wrote:

    > I get no errors...the log says it completed sucessfully. Also, if I catalog
    > it again, BE tells me that the tape has already been cataloged, and I can
    > see the drives that were backed up in the log.
    >
    > My original tape drive is a DDS-3 single tape, and the new one is a DDS-3
    > autoloader (4 tape magazine). However, I can load tapes individually into
    > the autoloader. Tried it, same result.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Does the catalog job give any indication of any kind that it
    > >didn't complete sucessfully in the job log?
    > >
    > >Same tape drive?, or same mfg/type?
    > >
    > >Brian wrote:
    > >
    > >> I had a server hard drive crash, but fortunately had almost finished building
    > >> a completely new server as a replacement. I need to pull the data off

    > the
    > >> backup tape from the old server and restore to the new drive. I have

    > inventoried
    > >> and cataloged the tape in the new server, I can see the tape under both

    > the
    > >> device and media tabs, but when I go to restore, no media is shown. The
    > >> window in volume-centric and media-centric views is blank. Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Brian

+ Reply to Thread