Schedule Question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Schedule Question - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am a little confused... I would like to set up a schedule where we run: 1.) Differential Backup Every Mon-Wed, and Friday 2.) Full Backup every Friday (retention one month) That I have set up, and appears to ...

  1. Schedule Question

    Hi,

    I am a little confused... I would like to set up a schedule where we run:

    1.) Differential Backup Every Mon-Wed, and Friday
    2.) Full Backup every Friday (retention one month)

    That I have set up, and appears to be working fine. Now I would like to
    add:

    1.) Monthly Backup
    2.) Annual Backup

    How can I do this, so we do not run BOTH the differential or full backup AND
    the Monthly or Annual backup on the same days? Is the best way to schedule
    the full backup to occur on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th week of the month, and
    have a monthly job set up (with different media set for retention) to run
    every 1st week of the month?

    Is it better to just run the full backups, and then manually move the tape
    from the weekly backup media set pool (with it's retention) to a new Monthly
    backup media set pool?

    How is everyone else doing this?

    Any and all help appreciated!

    Thanks.

    James Radke
    jradke@gehls.com

  2. Re: Schedule Question

    James,

    How I have set it up in the past is to keep the job definitions
    as simple as possible. That is, do not add additional jobs for
    monthly and yearly backups. All I did was to pull the tapes
    associated with the monthly and yearly backups out of the
    rotation for the specified amount of time. We stored these tapes
    off site so the lack of an extended retention period was not
    an issue. Tapes were only brought back onsite when they were
    scheduled to re-enter the rotation. The simplier the job
    definitions the smoother my backups have run.

    If you do schedule the full backups to run on the 2nd, 3rd,
    and 4th weeks; don't forget to schedule for the 5th week. On
    many months you will experience 5 full backups (including
    monthly/yearly) not just 4.

    Scott Porter

    "James Radke" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am a little confused... I would like to set up a schedule where we run:
    >
    >1.) Differential Backup Every Mon-Wed, and Friday
    >2.) Full Backup every Friday (retention one month)
    >
    >That I have set up, and appears to be working fine. Now I would like to
    >add:
    >
    >1.) Monthly Backup
    >2.) Annual Backup
    >
    >How can I do this, so we do not run BOTH the differential or full backup

    AND
    >the Monthly or Annual backup on the same days? Is the best way to schedule
    >the full backup to occur on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th week of the month, and
    >have a monthly job set up (with different media set for retention) to run
    >every 1st week of the month?
    >
    >Is it better to just run the full backups, and then manually move the tape
    >from the weekly backup media set pool (with it's retention) to a new Monthly
    >backup media set pool?
    >
    >How is everyone else doing this?
    >
    >Any and all help appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >James Radke
    >jradke@gehls.com

  3. Re: Schedule Question

    Scott,

    How do you track the tapes easiest so you know which ones to take offsite,
    which ones to bring back, etc? Access Database? Spreadsheet? Something
    built into Veritas?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    Jim

    "Scott Porter" wrote in message

    > James,
    >
    > How I have set it up in the past is to keep the job definitions
    > as simple as possible. That is, do not add additional jobs for
    > monthly and yearly backups. All I did was to pull the tapes
    > associated with the monthly and yearly backups out of the
    > rotation for the specified amount of time. We stored these tapes
    > off site so the lack of an extended retention period was not
    > an issue. Tapes were only brought back onsite when they were
    > scheduled to re-enter the rotation. The simplier the job
    > definitions the smoother my backups have run.
    >
    > If you do schedule the full backups to run on the 2nd, 3rd,
    > and 4th weeks; don't forget to schedule for the 5th week. On
    > many months you will experience 5 full backups (including
    > monthly/yearly) not just 4.
    >
    > Scott Porter
    >
    > "James Radke" wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am a little confused... I would like to set up a schedule where we run:
    > >
    > >1.) Differential Backup Every Mon-Wed, and Friday
    > >2.) Full Backup every Friday (retention one month)
    > >
    > >That I have set up, and appears to be working fine. Now I would like to
    > >add:
    > >
    > >1.) Monthly Backup
    > >2.) Annual Backup
    > >
    > >How can I do this, so we do not run BOTH the differential or full backup

    > AND
    > >the Monthly or Annual backup on the same days? Is the best way to

    schedule
    > >the full backup to occur on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th week of the month, and
    > >have a monthly job set up (with different media set for retention) to run
    > >every 1st week of the month?
    > >
    > >Is it better to just run the full backups, and then manually move the

    tape
    > >from the weekly backup media set pool (with it's retention) to a new

    Monthly
    > >backup media set pool?
    > >
    > >How is everyone else doing this?
    > >
    > >Any and all help appreciated!