Incremental and Full backup scheme question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Incremental and Full backup scheme question - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've been asked to provide a solution I'm not quite sure can be accomplished and wondered if anyone out there might possibly be able to shed a little light my way. Requirement. 1) Provide one full backup a week (easy ...

  1. Incremental and Full backup scheme question

    I've been asked to provide a solution I'm not quite sure can be accomplished
    and wondered if anyone out there might possibly be able to shed a little
    light my way.

    Requirement.
    1) Provide one full backup a week (easy and done)
    2) Provide a weekly incremental backup and a full backup of one directory
    on the same tape. Leave the tape unejected for the next evenings incremental/full
    backup. Eject on Thursday night and prepare for the Complete full backup.

    Only one tape drive is available, so both the incremental and nightly full
    (of one directory) should be done on the same tape, and run each night in
    succession until ejected thursday night.

    I'm not sure this can be done without a script or something, but cannot find
    information to push myself in the right direction. I believe it'll have
    to be a daily seperate tape to run both the full and incremental on.

    Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Kevin Cobb
    kcobb@east.delfin.com

  2. Re: Incremental and Full backup scheme question

    Sure you can. You need 3 jobs. (maybe 4 - if your weekly full backup
    is on a separate tape.)

    With only 1 tape per week:
    1) As done with your #1, set to overwrite.
    2) Incremental for each night (Mon-Thurs), set to append.
    3) Full of just that dir. each night (Mon-Thurs), set to append. Make
    it run an hour or so (depends on your needs) after incremental.

    With 2 tapes per week:
    1) as done above.
    2) Incremental on Mon night, set to overwrite on different tape than
    full.
    3) Incremental on Tue-Thurs, set to append.
    4) full of just that dir (like above)

    No problem...

    Mike.
    Kevin Cobb wrote in message

    > I've been asked to provide a solution I'm not quite sure can be

    accomplished
    > and wondered if anyone out there might possibly be able to shed a

    little
    > light my way.
    >
    > Requirement.
    > 1) Provide one full backup a week (easy and done)
    > 2) Provide a weekly incremental backup and a full backup of one

    directory
    > on the same tape. Leave the tape unejected for the next evenings

    incremental/full
    > backup. Eject on Thursday night and prepare for the Complete full

    backup.

    > Only one tape drive is available, so both the incremental and nightly

    full
    > (of one directory) should be done on the same tape, and run each night

    in
    > succession until ejected thursday night.
    >
    > I'm not sure this can be done without a script or something, but

    cannot find
    > information to push myself in the right direction. I believe it'll

    have
    > to be a daily seperate tape to run both the full and incremental on.
    >
    > Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kevin Cobb
    > kcobb@east.delfin.com

+ Reply to Thread