BENT Won't Use Tapes from Media Set - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT Won't Use Tapes from Media Set - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE sometimes won't use tapes from the media set designated in the backup job. The job is an 'append' job, media set has 8 tapes, is protected from overwrite, and has an infinite append period. Of the 8 tapes, 2 ...

  1. BENT Won't Use Tapes from Media Set

    BE sometimes won't use tapes from the media set designated in the backup job.
    The job is an 'append' job, media set has 8 tapes, is protected from overwrite,
    and has an infinite append period. Of the 8 tapes, 2 are full, 3 have partially
    full, and 3 are empty. Yet BE sometimes calls for blank media. Why?

  2. Re: BENT Won't Use Tapes from Media Set

    On 13 Dec 1999 01:37:29 -0500, Glenn Hodges wrote:

    > BE sometimes won't use tapes from the media set designated in the backup job.
    > The job is an 'append' job, media set has 8 tapes, is protected from overwrite,
    > and has an infinite append period. Of the 8 tapes, 2 are full, 3 have partially
    > full, and 3 are empty. Yet BE sometimes calls for blank media. Why?

    One of the "quirks" of BE is that you can't append to an empty tape if
    there is overwrite protection. If a tape is empty, BE switches to
    overwrite mode, which is prevented by your overwrite protection
    setting. Similarly, it doesn't seem to be possible to pre-assign
    blank/scratch media to a media set.

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

  3. Re: BENT Won't Use Tapes from Media Set

    On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:24:55 -0000, Ken McNulty wrote:

    > In 7.3 you can drag and drop from the Scratch Media set to your user media
    > set(s).

    Yes, but it doesn't always help much. If there's overwrite protection
    on the media set, and the scratch tape is blank, BNT won't write to it
    for the reason I mentioned before.

    Dragging a just-erased tape from scratch to a media set with 1 week
    overwrite protection period results in a tape that is not recyclable
    (blue), so even the "overwrite recyclable before scratch" option
    doesn't help.

    Setting the overwrite protection level to none may change this
    behaviour, but that's not a GoodThingToDo, IMHO.

    We gave up long ago trying to do clever things with media management,
    and have accepted that we have to do manual intervention whenever a
    tape set changes (which is on a Monday, bank hols and all).

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

+ Reply to Thread