Two backups at once - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Two backups at once - Veritas Backup Exec ; Will backup exec NT server run 2 backup jobs to 2 SCSI tape drives (same SCSI card) at the same time without loss of backup speed? Thanks, Martin Gotch...

  1. Two backups at once

    Will backup exec NT server run 2 backup jobs to 2 SCSI tape drives (same
    SCSI card) at the same time without loss of backup speed? Thanks,

    Martin Gotch

  2. Re: Two backups at once

    If you have the CPU cycles and more importantly RAM, yes you can run
    multiple jobs to multiple drives concurrently. Strictly from personal
    experience, I would recommend no more that two tapes drives per SCSI
    channel, and at least 64, preferably 96 MB of RAM per tape drive over and
    above any other system requirements A PII 200/233 should be sufficent for
    two drives, for more, a beefier CPU would probably be desireable.

    I've got a Compaq Proliant 1850R with a single 450 and 256 MB of RAM on a
    100MB switched network that handles 3 tape drives very nicely..

    MGotch wrote:

    > Will backup exec NT server run 2 backup jobs to 2 SCSI tape drives (same
    > SCSI card) at the same time without loss of backup speed? Thanks,
    >
    > Martin Gotch

  3. Re: Two backups at once

    "MGotch" wrote:
    >Will backup exec NT server run 2 backup jobs to 2 SCSI tape drives (same
    >SCSI card) at the same time without loss of backup speed? Thanks,
    >
    >Martin Gotch

    Yes it will. I currently run three backups at the same time, across the same
    SCSI card to three Quantum DLT changers. While there is a slight decrease
    in speed, it is not enough to worry about. Having a 100 base-t connection
    also helps.

    Mark

  4. Re: Two backups at once

    Hi, Mark

    What is your average throughout backing up over the network? and
    how much data are you backing up; both system files and data.

    Thanks for your reply

    "Mark Winning" wrote:

    >"MGotch" wrote:
    >>Will backup exec NT server run 2 backup jobs to 2 SCSI tape drives (same
    >>SCSI card) at the same time without loss of backup speed? Thanks,
    >>
    >>Martin Gotch
    >>

    >Yes it will. I currently run three backups at the same time, across the

    same
    >SCSI card to three Quantum DLT changers. While there is a slight decrease
    >in speed, it is not enough to worry about. Having a 100 base-t connection
    >also helps.
    >
    >Mark

+ Reply to Thread