Is it possible to backup a remote NT server with BENT? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Is it possible to backup a remote NT server with BENT? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, We are looking for a NT backup software that can backup a remote NT server. We downloaded and installed BackExec 7.3. But we couldn't find a way to backup a remote NT server. Here is what we tried: 1. ...

  1. Is it possible to backup a remote NT server with BENT?

    Hi,

    We are looking for a NT backup software that can backup
    a remote NT server.

    We downloaded and installed BackExec 7.3. But we couldn't
    find a way to backup a remote NT server.

    Here is what we tried:

    1. I mapped the remote NT server's C: drive as
    D: drive of the backup server where BENT is installed
    via NT explorer's network drive mapping.
    I can see files and modify files on the mapped D: drive.

    I clicked on "Backup" button in BENT.
    The "select item to backup" windows only shows the
    local drive C:. It didn't show the network drive D:

    2. I tried to use "User Defined shares".
    I used UNC: \\remoteserverip\c$
    to add a user defined share.
    It pompted for username and password, I entered
    username: administrator
    and administrator's password.
    I got:
    Backup Exec could not attach to this device
    You may already be logged in with a different user
    name and password.
    I am sure my login name and password are correct.
    I also created new users: backup and veritas with
    administrator permission. I still cann't login.

    My backup server and remote server are standard alone
    servers. They don't have the same domain and are not
    on the same local network. They can be connected via
    tcp/ip network (a.k.a. Internet). I can do network
    drive mapping to share files.

    I read the manual and enabled both
    default shares and user shares in:
    tools ---> options --> network

    I followed Paul's advise (Nice guy Paul from Veritas who
    replied to my earlier post) and entered username and password
    in: Network -->set default attach info

    None of the above worked for me.

    I am wondering if BENT is capable of doing backup for remote
    NT servers. If BENT cann't do it, can someone recommend
    a software that can do such job?

    Thanks a lot.

    Zhenhua

  2. Re: Is it possible to backup a remote NT server with BENT?

    Yes, BE can backup remote servers but you really need to use BE Multiple Server
    Edition to do it right - this allows you to install the NT agent accelerator
    on the remote server.

    Tim Pittson
    tsp@icn1.com

    "zhenhua" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >We are looking for a NT backup software that can backup
    >a remote NT server.
    >
    >We downloaded and installed BackExec 7.3. But we couldn't
    >find a way to backup a remote NT server.
    >
    >Here is what we tried:
    >
    >1. I mapped the remote NT server's C: drive as
    >D: drive of the backup server where BENT is installed
    >via NT explorer's network drive mapping.
    >I can see files and modify files on the mapped D: drive.
    >
    >I clicked on "Backup" button in BENT.
    >The "select item to backup" windows only shows the
    >local drive C:. It didn't show the network drive D:
    >
    >2. I tried to use "User Defined shares".
    >I used UNC: \\remoteserverip\c$
    >to add a user defined share.
    >It pompted for username and password, I entered
    >username: administrator
    >and administrator's password.
    >I got:
    >Backup Exec could not attach to this device
    >You may already be logged in with a different user
    >name and password.
    >I am sure my login name and password are correct.
    >I also created new users: backup and veritas with
    >administrator permission. I still cann't login.
    >
    >My backup server and remote server are standard alone
    >servers. They don't have the same domain and are not
    >on the same local network. They can be connected via
    >tcp/ip network (a.k.a. Internet). I can do network
    >drive mapping to share files.
    >
    >I read the manual and enabled both
    >default shares and user shares in:
    >tools ---> options --> network
    >
    >I followed Paul's advise (Nice guy Paul from Veritas who
    >replied to my earlier post) and entered username and password
    >in: Network -->set default attach info
    >
    >None of the above worked for me.
    >
    >I am wondering if BENT is capable of doing backup for remote
    >NT servers. If BENT cann't do it, can someone recommend
    >a software that can do such job?
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Zhenhua

+ Reply to Thread