Cannot restore all SQL databases with backup exec 7.3 for NT server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cannot restore all SQL databases with backup exec 7.3 for NT server - Veritas Backup Exec ; When I try to restore all the databases from a tape backup on a remote server, I get an error that it cannot overwrite the current database while it s running. I stop the SQL services, and then backup exec ...

  1. Cannot restore all SQL databases with backup exec 7.3 for NT server

    When I try to restore all the databases from a tape backup on a remote server,
    I get an error that it cannot overwrite the current database while it s running.
    I stop the SQL services, and then backup exec won't recognize the SQL server
    that I specified. I cannot delete the database either (which is probably
    a good thing). Catch 22---Anyone know how to get around it?

  2. Re: Cannot restore all SQL databases with backup exec 7.3 for NT server

    Georgia,
    Are you using the SQL agent to backup a "hot" (running) SQL server? You
    cannot backup SQL while it is running unless you use the SQL agent or Open
    File Option (OFO) to interface with the backup. The only way to backup the
    SQL server without one of these agents is to shut down the SQL server and
    stop all its services. Then you can do a "flat file" backup of the SQL server.

    "Georgia" wrote:

    >When I try to restore all the databases from a tape backup on a remote server,
    >I get an error that it cannot overwrite the current database while it s

    running.
    > I stop the SQL services, and then backup exec won't recognize the SQL server
    >that I specified. I cannot delete the database either (which is probably
    >a good thing). Catch 22---Anyone know how to get around it?

+ Reply to Thread