Re: Tech support confusion - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Tech support confusion - Veritas Backup Exec ; Ken - Here's the email suggestion I got: -------- "Ed, Please keep in mind that troubleshooting complex problems via e-mail is difficult at best. E-mail support is ideal for quick questions that do not require very specific and extensive troubleshooting ...

  1. Re: Tech support confusion

    --------
    "Ed,
    Please keep in mind that troubleshooting complex problems via e-mail is
    difficult at best. E-mail support is ideal for quick questions that do not
    require very specific and extensive troubleshooting techniques. I reviewed
    your original e-mail request, and have to agree that this problem would be
    best suited to an actual telephone call where the engineer can walk you
    through a number of steps to see where the problem lies. Contact Technical
    Services at 1.800.634.4747 M-F between 8:30am - 8:00pm EST. By talking on
    the phone with a support engineer, your issue can be addressed using our
    Support Now service (see link below)
    http://207.30.27.200/veritas/frameset.htm

    Sometimes it is better to have a 'full duplex' conversation to troubleshoot
    problems, rather than a back and forth conversation via e-mail that can
    stretch the problem resolution out over time.

    Thanks again for your feedback."
    --------

    That sounded very reasonable. When I called the number I got someone who
    wanted to know if I had a support contract. Since I don't have one, I had
    to give a credit card and be charged $90 before I was connected to anyone.
    The issue is still open, so I don't know how it will all turn out.

    - Ed

    Ken McNulty wrote in message
    > I've been told to phone someone because Veritas Tech Support said they
    > couldn't answer my query. I haven't done so yet. Do you mean if I do

    they're
    > going to charge me, even though I'm doing it on their recommendation?

    There
    > certainly wasn't any mention of a fee.
    >
    > Ken McNulty

  2. Re: Tech support confusion

    It seems to depend on whether you are in the States or Europe at the moment.
    Apparently Europe is going to have to start paying for support from the 2nd
    quarter of 2000. See the following:
    http://www.veritas.com/company/press...r990729-1.html and go down
    to the section 'Pay for support services'. It seems rubbish to me that they
    cannot deal with complicated issues via email because I have had exemplary
    support from one of their technicians over a long period as we tried to
    resolve a particularly intractable problem that sometimes involved quite
    complicated issues to look at. From a user point of view it is better to
    get an email detailing the steps because then you have a record of what you
    have done should you ever need to go over it again!

    Ed McNierney wrote in message
    > Ken -
    >
    > Here's the email suggestion I got:
    > --------
    > "Ed,
    > Please keep in mind that troubleshooting complex problems via e-mail is
    > difficult at best. E-mail support is ideal for quick questions that do

    not
    > require very specific and extensive troubleshooting techniques. I

    reviewed
    > your original e-mail request, and have to agree that this problem would be
    > best suited to an actual telephone call where the engineer can walk you
    > through a number of steps to see where the problem lies. Contact Technical
    > Services at 1.800.634.4747 M-F between 8:30am - 8:00pm EST. By talking on
    > the phone with a support engineer, your issue can be addressed using our
    > Support Now service (see link below)
    > http://207.30.27.200/veritas/frameset.htm
    >
    > Sometimes it is better to have a 'full duplex' conversation to

    troubleshoot
    > problems, rather than a back and forth conversation via e-mail that can
    > stretch the problem resolution out over time.
    >
    > Thanks again for your feedback."
    > --------
    >
    > That sounded very reasonable. When I called the number I got someone who
    > wanted to know if I had a support contract. Since I don't have one, I had
    > to give a credit card and be charged $90 before I was connected to anyone.
    > The issue is still open, so I don't know how it will all turn out.
    >
    > - Ed
    >
    > Ken McNulty wrote in message
    > > I've been told to phone someone because Veritas Tech Support said they
    > > couldn't answer my query. I haven't done so yet. Do you mean if I do

    > they're
    > > going to charge me, even though I'm doing it on their recommendation?

    > There
    > > certainly wasn't any mention of a fee.
    > >
    > > Ken McNulty

+ Reply to Thread