Access Violation when opening BE - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Access Violation when opening BE - Veritas Backup Exec ; I receive an access violation (0xc0000005), address 0x5f829b5b when attempting to open Backup Exec for NT Server (Service Pack 5) on the backup server itself. The BE services still operate normally, remote connection works, and backup jobs continue unaffected. However, ...

  1. Access Violation when opening BE

    I receive an access violation (0xc0000005), address 0x5f829b5b when attempting
    to open Backup Exec for NT Server (Service Pack 5) on the backup server itself.
    The BE services still operate normally, remote connection works, and backup
    jobs continue unaffected. However, I can't open the application on the server.
    I followed TechNote 010-100055 and deleted the catalog index files. However,
    this didn't correct the problem. Do you happen to have any ideas on how
    to resolve this issue?
    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Access Violation when opening BE

    I forgot to mention that I am using Backup Exec v7.2, Rev 1223.

  3. Re: Access Violation when opening BE

    I have the same problem: Dr. Watson bkupexec.exe Access violation 0x0000005
    Address 0x004a8b3f. I opened a ticket with Veritas, they have not provided
    a solution as of yet. I am also runnign v7.2 I don't know the build since
    I can't start the application. The app is running on NT 4.0 sp6.

    "Dave Lutz" wrote:

    >I receive an access violation (0xc0000005), address 0x5f829b5b when attempting
    >to open Backup Exec for NT Server (Service Pack 5) on the backup server

    itself.
    > The BE services still operate normally, remote connection works, and backup
    >jobs continue unaffected. However, I can't open the application on the server.
    > I followed TechNote 010-100055 and deleted the catalog index files. However,
    >this didn't correct the problem. Do you happen to have any ideas on how
    >to resolve this issue?
    >Thanks,
    >Dave

  4. Re: Access Violation when opening BE

    My problem was caused by some corruption within the "Data" subdirectory. I
    have not tracked down the specific file yet. Stopping the bkupexec services,
    renaming the existing "Data" directory, restart the services and launch the
    application. Thsi has worked for me. Of course you will not have your log
    files available.

  5. Re: Access Violation when opening BE

    "Dave Lutz" wrote:

    >I receive an access violation (0xc0000005), address 0x5f829b5b when attempting
    >to open Backup Exec for NT Server (Service Pack 5) on the backup server

    itself.
    > The BE services still operate normally, remote connection works, and backup
    >jobs continue unaffected. However, I can't open the application on the server.
    > I followed TechNote 010-100055 and deleted the catalog index files. However,
    >this didn't correct the problem. Do you happen to have any ideas on how
    >to resolve this issue?
    >Thanks,
    >Dave

    try stopping the be services and renaming the data directory and creating
    a new data directory
    start your services and open the gui
    if no dr. watson then you have corruption in your jobs somewhere

    thats my best suggestion

  6. Re: Access Violation when opening BE

    I had to reinstall the Microsoft DAO program.

    Ask VERITAS about that.

    -b

    Dave Lutz wrote in message news:38511880@hronntp01....

    > I forgot to mention that I am using Backup Exec v7.2, Rev 1223.

+ Reply to Thread