msdb backup? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on msdb backup? - Veritas Backup Exec ; "Chris Weber" wrote: > >I am using BENT v7.3 and I'm trying to back up MSSQL v7. > >When I back up my database do I need to back up the msdb as well? My SQL expert tells me that ...

  1. Re: msdb backup?

    "Chris Weber" wrote:

    >I am using BENT v7.3 and I'm trying to back up MSSQL v7.
    >
    >When I back up my database do I need to back up the msdb as well?

    My SQL expert tells me that you must back up master, model, pubs, and msdb.
    I believe the only database that comes delivered that is not necessary is
    northwind. Consider yourself lucky if it's only failing on msdb. I've been
    trying to kill this dragon for a few days.

    Stutti

  2. Re: msdb backup?

    "Chris Weber" wrote:

    >I am using BENT v7.3 and I'm trying to back up MSSQL v7.
    >
    >When I back up my database do I need to back up the msdb as well?
    >
    >The reason I'm asking is that every time I back up the msdb (along with

    the
    >rest of the databases) it resets the "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" option.
    >So when I try to back up using the Transaction Log backup option it fails

    >backup only the msdb.

    I backup up several databases with v7.3b2371 and the SQL7 agent.

    Two jobs are required if you want to capture the logs and the database: The
    first job overwrites the tape and backs up the “transaction log only” for
    the databases that you are interested in; the second job appends to tape
    the backup of the master, msdb, and database that you are interested in as
    “backup entire database”.

    The database that I want to backup does not have the trunc. Log on checkpoint
    option turned on. If this were on, BackupExec complains that there are no
    logs to backup, this is true since you are truncating the log on successful
    writes. But turning off the trunc. Log on checkpoint option captures all
    of the transaction logs. This option allows you to restore the previous
    night’s backup of the database and the logs, and apply as many logs are required
    to get you up and running again.

    Master and msdb are required for database versioning.

    Andrew

  3. Re: msdb backup?

    Andrew Ottens wrote in message <384fc856@hronntp01.>...

    >"Chris Weber" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am using BENT v7.3 and I'm trying to back up MSSQL v7.
    >>
    >>When I back up my database do I need to back up the msdb as well?
    >>
    >>The reason I'm asking is that every time I back up the msdb (along with

    >the
    >>rest of the databases) it resets the "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" option.
    >>So when I try to back up using the Transaction Log backup option it fails

    >>backup only the msdb.
    >>

    >I backup up several databases with v7.3b2371 and the SQL7 agent.
    >
    >Two jobs are required if you want to capture the logs and the database: The
    >first job overwrites the tape and backs up the “transaction log only” for
    >the databases that you are interested in; the second job appends to tape
    >the backup of the master, msdb, and database that you are interested in as
    >“backup entire database”.
    >
    >The database that I want to backup does not have the trunc. Log on

    checkpoint
    >option turned on. If this were on, BackupExec complains that there are no
    >logs to backup, this is true since you are truncating the log on successful
    >writes. But turning off the trunc. Log on checkpoint option captures all
    >of the transaction logs. This option allows you to restore the previous
    >night’s backup of the database and the logs, and apply as many logs are

    required
    >to get you up and running again.
    >
    >Master and msdb are required for database versioning.
    >
    >Andrew

    Thanks for your response Andrew. This is similar to what I'm doing, the
    only problem I'm
    having now is with the 'Truncate Log on Checkpoint' option. Every time I
    run a "backup entire
    database" of the msdb, this option automatically turns on. I want this
    option to stay off, so
    my transaction log backups can run. As it is now, I have to manually turn
    off this option every
    time I "Backup Entire Database." I was wondering if I was forgetting
    something, or if this
    is the way BENT works.

  4. msdb backup?

    I am using BENT v7.3 and I'm trying to back up MSSQL v7.

    When I back up my database do I need to back up the msdb as well?

    The reason I'm asking is that every time I back up the msdb (along with the
    rest of the databases) it resets the "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" option.
    So when I try to back up using the Transaction Log backup option it fails to
    backup only the msdb.

+ Reply to Thread