Slow Lan Backup (Help) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slow Lan Backup (Help) - Veritas Backup Exec ; Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt 20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People my ...

  1. Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt
    20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up
    a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People
    my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg throughput
    per minute on the same type of specs.
    Help! Help! Help!

  2. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    wrote:

    >Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt
    >20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up
    >a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People
    >my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg

    throughput
    >per minute on the same type of specs.
    > Help! Help! Help!

    I'm only getting 7 meg a minute. Did you find your answer?

  3. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    1. Check to make sure that your NIC is set to the same duplex as your
    switch/hub (Half or Full)
    2. Also make sure you don't have 3D screen savers on that hog the CPU.

    Joe

    wrote in message news:384e6a69@hronntp01....

    > Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt
    > 20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up
    > a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People
    > my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg

    throughput
    > per minute on the same type of specs.
    > Help! Help! Help!

  4. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    Don't let your NICs and switches Auto-Negoitate. Force each end
    of the pipe to 100/Full duplex. AutoNegotiate is flaky at best and totally
    unreliable across equipment manufacturers.

    Also verify that you have the latest OEM NIC drivers, don't use the
    ones from the NT drivers directory.

    For comparison, I average 140-160 MB/Min on a full duplex switched
    network. and have watch occaisional peaks in the 240-250 range. (This
    is using the NTAA, a dedicatedl Xeon 400 Backup Server, and target servers
    that range from dual PPro 200s to Quad Xeon 500s. backing up to
    stand-alone DLT7000

    olodu@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt
    > 20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up
    > a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People
    > my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg throughput
    > per minute on the same type of specs.
    > Help! Help! Help!

  5. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    I am having similar problems. I am getting about 45 meg a minute on a HP DAT 40 (specs
    say 360 meg/min)
    I could live with that for the across the network backups but locally? On a dual
    pentium III 550 server?
    Any help you find post it please. It is not a network problem in my situation.

    olodu@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Techies, i am running Backup Exec 7.2 Rev 1223 with a Compaq DLt
    > 20/40 device attach and a DLT iv media as a tape (35/70). I am backing up
    > a Server in the same room,on the same segment. People
    > my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg throughput
    > per minute on the same type of specs.
    > Help! Help! Help!

  6. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    >my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg

    throughput
    >per minute on the same type of specs.
    > Help! Help! Help!

    I'd check to make sure the Agent Accelerator is still running on the client.
    Mabye even stop and start the service if it is running. Also remember that
    these are Microsoft OS based systems, when in doubt, re-boot

    Stutti

  7. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    "D'Stuttgarter" wrote:

    >>my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg

    >throughput
    >>per minute on the same type of specs.
    >> Help! Help! Help!
    >>

    >I'd check to make sure the Agent Accelerator is still running on the client.
    > Mabye even stop and start the service if it is running. Also remember

    that
    >these are Microsoft OS based systems, when in doubt, re-boot
    >
    >Stutti

    One thing I have noticed is BE does much better when not having to switch
    directories. On directorries with many files or Big files in general it
    sings but when it hit's my web server with lots of online help from SAP (they
    like 1 file per directory) the throughput drops to a crawl. Just an observation.

    -Brian

  8. Re: Slow Lan Backup (Help)

    "Brian Klein" wrote:

    >"D'Stuttgarter" wrote:
    >>

    >>>my throughput is 12meg a minute. What is wrong?. My last job had 100meg

    >>throughput
    >>>per minute on the same type of specs.
    >>> Help! Help! Help!
    >>>

    >>I'd check to make sure the Agent Accelerator is still running on the client.
    >> Mabye even stop and start the service if it is running. Also remember

    >that
    >>these are Microsoft OS based systems, when in doubt, re-boot
    >>
    >>Stutti

    >One thing I have noticed is BE does much better when not having to switch
    >directories. On directorries with many files or Big files in general it
    >sings but when it hit's my web server with lots of online help from SAP

    (they
    >like 1 file per directory) the throughput drops to a crawl. Just an observation.
    >
    >-Brian

    I have observed the same as Brian. We have lots of dir. structures that run
    sometimes 7-10 dirs. deep off the root.

    I have also noticed that backing up JPEG and GIF files drops throughput through
    the floor.

    I am using a DLT tape lib. with 2 SCSI cards locally and throughput still
    sucks when doing either of the above.

+ Reply to Thread