beserver.exe using 217MB in NT Task Manager - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on beserver.exe using 217MB in NT Task Manager - Veritas Backup Exec ; I came in to work this morning to find the hard disk thrashing away and wondered why. A quick investigation led me to find that beserver.exe listed in the process list was using 217MB of memory. The backup schedule had ...

  1. beserver.exe using 217MB in NT Task Manager

    I came in to work this morning to find the hard disk thrashing away and wondered
    why.

    A quick investigation led me to find that beserver.exe listed in the process
    list was using 217MB of memory.

    The backup schedule had been expecting a tape on Friday night but only got
    it this morning when i came in. Other than that the job monitor appeared
    normal.

    Can anyone explain under what circumstances this massive use of memory might
    occur?

    Thanks in advance for your help

    Jonathan Feldman

  2. Re: beserver.exe using 217MB in NT Task Manager

    I also have seen this problem, sometimes over 500MB of memory used when a
    tape has not been inserted.

    We use version 7.0 release 662 on NT 4.0 sp5

    The memory leak will gradually build until a correct tape is inserted, once
    this occurs and the backup starts, the memory stops leaking, but is not recovered.
    This requires a reboot (the BE services are very reluctant to stop) to regain
    the memory.

    Is there a patch to stop this happening?

    Thanks

    Ben

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >What version and build of BENT are you using?
    >
    >Jonathan Feldman wrote:
    >
    >> I came in to work this morning to find the hard disk thrashing away and

    wondered
    >> why.
    >>
    >> A quick investigation led me to find that beserver.exe listed in the process
    >> list was using 217MB of memory.
    >>
    >> The backup schedule had been expecting a tape on Friday night but only

    got
    >> it this morning when i came in. Other than that the job monitor appeared
    >> normal.
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain under what circumstances this massive use of memory

    might
    >> occur?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help
    >>
    >> Jonathan Feldman