Re: OFO - Not enough disk space - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: OFO - Not enough disk space - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have it on HP Netserver LH3r, Window NT server 4.0 SP 3. I'm not quite sure is it in our case second volume, it has always been D-drive which is also the system disk. I change the backup order ...

  1. Re: OFO - Not enough disk space

    I have it on HP Netserver LH3r, Window NT server 4.0 SP 3. I'm not quite
    sure is it in our case second volume, it has always been D-drive which is
    also the system disk. I change the backup order and make some tests. I do
    have an other identical system (except that it's in SP level 5), which
    doesn't experience this problem.

    This is 4 GB disk with 1.8 GB free. Originally it contained also about 1 GB
    page file, but that has been now moved. Now the largest single file is about
    200 MB.

    --
    jorma.tapola@embl-heidelberg.de

    Greg wrote in message news:384448c2@hronntp01....

    > I'm having the exact same problems - also on a Dell machine (PowerEdge

    4200).
    > Coincidence???
    >
    > I've setup a compaq 7000 in the lab and run the same test and it seems to
    > work there! Anyone else having the ongoing OFO problems on Dell Servers?
    >
    > "Matt Sisson" wrote:
    > >We are experiencing the same problem here.
    > >
    > >Feedback would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >Matt
    > >
    > >Joe F wrote in message news:3842c24f@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> Running BE 7.3 bld 2575 with ofofix.exe and post2575.exe on an NT 4.0

    > >Server
    > >> SP5 Dell machine. The first backup (including OFO) of drive C: runs

    fine.
    > >> Future attempts to backup drive C: produce "OFO: not enough disk space

    > on
    > >> the device running OFO to create or increment the static volume. ....."
    > >> The backup in question is of a 6GB drive partitioned into three 2GB

    > >partitions.
    > >> The C: partition has 1.2GB of the 2GB free. If the computer is

    restarted
    > >> the first backup runs fine and all subsequent backups fail until the

    > >machine
    > >> is restarted again.

  2. Re: OFO - Not enough disk space

    My problem is different...

    I tested running backup only to D-drive and it still fails

    *OFO: Started for device: "D:"
    *
    *
    *Media Name: "Media created 12/06/99 09:49:52 AM"
    *Backup of "D: system"
    *Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    *Backup set description: "System disk"
    *Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    *Backup started on 12/6/99 at 9:58:39 AM.
    *OFO: Not enough disk space on device running OFO to create or increment the
    static volume.
    *A minimum of 30 MB of available disk space to start the OFO operation is
    needed; during the backup, 10 *percent of the capacity of the disk must be
    free.
    *OFO: Error during backup. Set has been aborted.

    I also monitored free space on the disk, minimum was 1.8 GB.

    --

    Jorma Tapola wrote in message
    > I have it on HP Netserver LH3r, Window NT server 4.0 SP 3. I'm not quite
    > sure is it in our case second volume, it has always been D-drive which is
    > also the system disk. I change the backup order and make some tests. I do
    > have an other identical system (except that it's in SP level 5), which
    > doesn't experience this problem.
    >
    > This is 4 GB disk with 1.8 GB free. Originally it contained also about 1

    GB
    > page file, but that has been now moved. Now the largest single file is

    about
    > 200 MB.
    >

    > --
    > jorma.tapola@embl-heidelberg.de
    >

    > Greg wrote in message news:384448c2@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > I'm having the exact same problems - also on a Dell machine (PowerEdge

    > 4200).
    > > Coincidence???
    > >
    > > I've setup a compaq 7000 in the lab and run the same test and it seems

    > > work there! Anyone else having the ongoing OFO problems on Dell Servers?
    > >
    > > "Matt Sisson" wrote:
    > > >We are experiencing the same problem here.
    > > >
    > > >Feedback would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > >Matt

    > > >Server

    > fine.

    space
    > > on

    ......"
    > > >partitions.

    > restarted
    > > >machine

  3. Re: OFO - Not enough disk space ***FIX***

    My problem is fixed. Hope that this also helps somebody else.

    Discussions with Veritas support lead to suggestion of increasing Static
    volume settings, they said that my Raid controller is too fast...

    Increasing the size was done with OFO wizard. I changed 'Incremental amount
    of disk space..." to 100 MB and "Initial size of static ...." to 300 MB. At
    least one test run went OK.

    Jorma Tapola

    > My problem is different...
    >
    > I tested running backup only to D-drive and it still fails
    >
    > *OFO: Started for device: "D:"
    > *
    > *
    > *Media Name: "Media created 12/06/99 09:49:52 AM"
    > *Backup of "D: system"
    > *Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > *Backup set description: "System disk"
    > *Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > *Backup started on 12/6/99 at 9:58:39 AM.
    > *OFO: Not enough disk space on device running OFO to create or increment

    the
    > static volume.
    > *A minimum of 30 MB of available disk space to start the OFO operation is
    > needed; during the backup, 10 *percent of the capacity of the disk must be
    > free.
    > *OFO: Error during backup. Set has been aborted.
    >
    > I also monitored free space on the disk, minimum was 1.8 GB.
    >

    > --
    > jorma.tapola@embl-heidelberg.de
    >
    > Jorma Tapola wrote in message
    > > I have it on HP Netserver LH3r, Window NT server 4.0 SP 3. I'm not quite
    > > sure is it in our case second volume, it has always been D-drive which

    is
    > > also the system disk. I change the backup order and make some tests. I

    do
    > > have an other identical system (except that it's in SP level 5), which
    > > doesn't experience this problem.
    > >
    > > This is 4 GB disk with 1.8 GB free. Originally it contained also about 1

    > GB
    > > page file, but that has been now moved. Now the largest single file is

    > about
    > > 200 MB.
    > >

    > > --
    > > jorma.tapola@embl-heidelberg.de
    > >

    > > Greg wrote in message news:384448c2@hronntp01....
    > > >
    > > > I'm having the exact same problems - also on a Dell machine (PowerEdge

    > > 4200).
    > > > Coincidence???
    > > >
    > > > I've setup a compaq 7000 in the lab and run the same test and it seems

    > > > work there! Anyone else having the ongoing OFO problems on Dell

    Servers?

    4.0

    > > fine.

    > space