Problem while doing a restore of Exchange Database - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Problem while doing a restore of Exchange Database - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have carried out the following steps to do an exchange database restore in a test envoronment and fail. I have installed an NT Server with Exchange having the following details OS Details Server Name TEST01 Domain DOMAIN Server ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problem while doing a restore of Exchange Database

  1. Problem while doing a restore of Exchange Database


    Hi,

    I have carried out the following steps to do an exchange database restore
    in a test envoronment and fail.

    I have installed an NT Server with Exchange having the following details

    OS Details
    Server Name TEST01
    Domain DOMAIN
    Server Type PDC
    OS NT Server 4.0
    Service Pack NT Service Pack 5
    Exchange Details
    Organisation ORG01
    Site SITE01
    Version 5.5
    Service Pack 2

    Installed Exchange Agent on the Veritas Backup Server which have the following
    details

    OS Details
    Server Name VERITAS2
    Workgroup Vetitas
    Server Type Stand Alone
    OS NT Server 4.0
    Service Pack NT Service Pack 5

    Veritas Details
    Server Vestion 7.3


    I get the following error while doing a restore of the database

    Restoring data to \\TEST01\Microsoft Exchange Directory .

    Storage Media #1: " Media created 06/12/1999 14:40:11 "
    Backup performed on 6/12/1999 at 14:42
    Backup set #1: " Exchange Info. & Data "
    Restore started on 6/12/1999 at 14:51:41 .
    Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.




  2. Re: Problem while doing a restore of Exchange Database


    "Richard Martins" wrote:
    >
    >Hi,
    >I have carried out the following steps to do an exchange database restore
    >in a test envoronment and fail.

    [snip]
    >I get the following error while doing a restore of the database
    >Restoring data to \\TEST01\Microsoft Exchange Directory .
    >Storage Media #1: " Media created 06/12/1999 14:40:11 "
    >Backup performed on 6/12/1999 at 14:42
    >Backup set #1: " Exchange Info. & Data "
    >Restore started on 6/12/1999 at 14:51:41 .
    >Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.
    >

    We've seen this error a lot lately as we've been trying to get familiar with
    the Exchange agent. We got past it after doing two things (we still need
    to go back and figure whether both were necessary or whether one was sufficient):
    a. We made sure that the ID/password combo we were using was the same ID
    with synchronized passwords at all three points: on the BackupExec box, within
    the local SAM database of the Exchange server, and on the NT Domain for our
    Exchange environment. (The theory being that since our Backup Exec server
    is not a member of the domain, it needs to automagically authenticate itself
    to the Exchange server's SAM database and defaults to sending the ID/passsword
    it is logged in with.)
    b. We made sure that the DS/IS FILES we were trying to restore were ABSENT
    from the target hard drives but the FOLDERS/DIRECTORIES were PRESENT (by
    also backing up and restoring them via the NT file system shares "E$" and
    "F$" - even though including these shares within the backup job causes errors
    because the database/log files are locked open, restoring them seems to be
    a good way of getting the directory/folder structure back).

    Don

+ Reply to Thread