Re: DR Watson on launching BE7.3 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: DR Watson on launching BE7.3 - Veritas Backup Exec ; In article , Andy Sims writes >Installed BE7.3 for SBS over 7.0. Initially GUI initialised okay but looking >at any device related item caused a Dr Watson. At this point NT backup refused >to see tape drive (Seagate 4mm DAT ...

  1. Re: DR Watson on launching BE7.3

    In article <384816e1@hronntp01.?>, Andy Sims
    writes
    >Installed BE7.3 for SBS over 7.0. Initially GUI initialised okay but looking
    >at any device related item caused a Dr Watson. At this point NT backup refused
    >to see tape drive (Seagate 4mm DAT via Adaptec SCSI card). NT reported device
    >to be OK. Reinstalled drivers for tape device several times with no change.
    > Disabled all BE services and restarted server again. NT Backup saw tape
    >device and all was well. Started BE again and GUI generated Dr Watson
    >immediately
    >as it launched.

    Some details of the Dr Watson would help, but I presume that you've
    checked the System and Application Event Logs for anything untoward and
    checked the Services control panel to check that the 7.3 services are
    running.

    Especially if you're running SBS 4.5, make sure you're installing 7.3
    build 2575.

    If you can't get things going any other way, you may fare better
    uninstalling Backup Exec completely, and putting its directory in the
    Recycle Bin before installing afresh. This will, however, lose all job
    and catalog data. However, it's better than no BENT at all.

    If you follow this path and have an upgrade serial number, you'll
    probably have to call Veritas Sales with your BENT 7.0 and 7.0 to 7.3
    upgrade serial numbers to get a 7.3 serial number as the 7.3 installer
    will probably not recognise your upgrade serial number or allow you to
    input the 7.0 serial number.

    When you get 7.3 build 2575 going, evaluate the "spanfix" (if you didn't
    install the revised version of 2575) and any relevant "post2575" fixes.

    David
    --
    David Wood david@wood2.demon.co.uk
    Please post any replies to this group - "post and mail" is not needed.

  2. Re: DR Watson on launching BE7.3

    David Wood wrote:
    >In article <384816e1@hronntp01.?>, Andy Sims
    >writes
    >>Installed BE7.3 for SBS over 7.0. Initially GUI initialised okay but looking
    >>at any device related item caused a Dr Watson. At this point NT backup

    refused
    >>to see tape drive (Seagate 4mm DAT via Adaptec SCSI card). NT reported

    device
    >>to be OK. Reinstalled drivers for tape device several times with no change.
    >> Disabled all BE services and restarted server again. NT Backup saw tape
    >>device and all was well. Started BE again and GUI generated Dr Watson

    >>immediately
    >>as it launched.

    >Some details of the Dr Watson would help, but I presume that you've
    >checked the System and Application Event Logs for anything untoward and
    >checked the Services control panel to check that the 7.3 services are
    >running.
    >
    >Especially if you're running SBS 4.5, make sure you're installing 7.3
    >build 2575.
    >

    >If you can't get things going any other way, you may fare better
    >uninstalling Backup Exec completely, and putting its directory in the
    >Recycle Bin before installing afresh. This will, however, lose all job
    >and catalog data. However, it's better than no BENT at all.
    >
    >If you follow this path and have an upgrade serial number, you'll
    >probably have to call Veritas Sales with your BENT 7.0 and 7.0 to 7.3
    >upgrade serial numbers to get a 7.3 serial number as the 7.3 installer
    >will probably not recognise your upgrade serial number or allow you to
    >input the 7.0 serial number.
    >

    >When you get 7.3 build 2575 going, evaluate the "spanfix" (if you didn't
    >install the revised version of 2575) and any relevant "post2575" fixes.
    >

    >David
    >--
    >David Wood david@wood2.demon.co.uk
    >Please post any replies to this group - "post and mail" is not needed.
    >DISCLAIMER: I am not an employee of Veritas, merely a user who's trying
    >to share his ideas and experience. Follow my advice at your own risk.

    Full uninstall and install of latest build (6hr download!)
    as per your advice cured problem. Thanks for your input.

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread