Re: agent accelerators - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: agent accelerators - Veritas Backup Exec ; Andrzej, I've just installed AA on a workstation direct from the CD. I loaded the CD onto the workstation and selected "Install Backup Exec Options on remote computers". When it asked for a serial number, I left it blank. It ...

  1. Re: agent accelerators

    Andrzej,

    I've just installed AA on a workstation direct from the CD. I loaded the CD
    onto the workstation and selected "Install Backup Exec Options on remote
    computers". When it asked for a serial number, I left it blank. It said it
    was going to install ane evaluation copy, but I continued. It then gave me a
    number of options, one of which was Agent Accelerator. I won't know for 60
    days if I've only gota an evaluation copy of AA. However, if you can install
    on some workstations, but not others, it seems like your problem is more to
    do with connectivity/permissions between the workstations and your server.
    Forcing AA on to a workstation wouldn't get around that problem.

    As for the licensing issue, have a look at the news item "where are the NT
    agents?" by Reinhardt Fiechtl 26/11/99 12:22.
    I had always thought that AA was an essential part of BE for use on remote
    computers that were being backed up to a central server. As such you should
    be able to use it on all computers that you are licensed to back up. Single
    Server Edition allows you to back up multiple workstations to a central
    server. So, you should be able to load AA on all workstations. This appears
    not to be the case.
    If you've got Multi-Server edition, it seems you're OK to load it on all
    servers, and, prseumably, workstations. We don't actually back up
    workstations, so I'm not 100% sure of the licensing implications. It's just
    what I've read in this news group.

    Ken

    Ken McNulty wrote in message <384657dc@hronntp01.>...
    >Try using Additional Options from Start >Programs.....Backup Exec group.
    >NB. Recent mail on this topic has indicated that Accelerator Agent needs a
    >separate license, unless you are installing Backup Exec Multi-Server (or

    the
    >old Enterprise Edition)
    >
    >Ken McNulty
    >
    >Andrzej Kozakiewicz wrote in message <3845cbb4@hronntp01.>...
    >>Hi,
    >>I am having one hell of a tough time trying to install the winnt agent
    >>accelerator.
    >>One some workstations it works like a charm and on some it simply doesn't
    >>want to install.
    >>I tried going to the machine on which the installation doesn't work and

    try
    >>installing it directly:
    >>1. running the veritas installation program directly on the machine, I

    just
    >>get the first two options: installing backup exec, or installing the

    remote
    >>administrator but nothing else.
    >>2. I tried to install directly from the ntaa installation directory
    >>winnt\install\eng\i386\ntaa but that just starts, says the the

    installation
    >>is initializing and then disappear without leaving a trace.
    >>
    >>At this point I am open to any suggestions.
    >>Thanks a lot to all
    >>andrzej

  2. Re: agent accelerators

    "Ken McNulty" wrote:
> [...]

    >>>accelerator.
    >>>One some workstations it works like a charm and on some it simply doesn't
    >>>want to install.
    >>>I tried going to the machine on which the installation doesn't work and

    >try
    >>>installing it directly:
    >>>1. running the veritas installation program directly on the machine, I

    >just
    >>>get the first two options: installing backup exec, or installing the

    >remote
    >>>administrator but nothing else.
    >>>2. I tried to install directly from the ntaa installation directory
    >>>winnt\install\eng\i386\ntaa but that just starts, says the the

    >installation
    >>>is initializing and then disappear without leaving a trace.
    >>>
    >>>At this point I am open to any suggestions.

    I have had similar problems with the install. From the server with the trouble,
    map a drive to the server/drive that has the install files. Then double click
    the ntaa.cmd , not the .exe.
    I have been able to get this to work on most servers that won't accept a
    "push" install. (I have read that there is an alternative method that requires
    changing some "read only" files. This info was on the Seagate user forums
    and FAQs)

+ Reply to Thread