A few quick questions... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on A few quick questions... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I've just been upgrading our backup server to Backup Exec 7.3 and I have a few questions: 1. When I start the user interface, I get the following error message: "Error: Password database error: Open Failed" - I know ...

  1. A few quick questions...

    Hi,

    I've just been upgrading our backup server to Backup Exec 7.3
    and I have a few questions:

    1. When I start the user interface, I get the following error
    message: "Error: Password database error: Open Failed" - I
    know that on this particular machine the Administrator
    account has been changed - is this what's causing the
    problem? Any ideas how I can fix it? - the software seems
    to work OK despite of the error - is it something to worry
    about?

    2. At the moment, I have 11 backup tapes - which I do a full
    backup to on Friday, and differential backups monday to
    Friday. I have another 24 tapes that I'd like to use for
    long term backup - i.e. once a month, instead of using one
    of my normal tapes for the full friday backup - I'd use one
    of the long term tapes - and archive it once it was finished.
    Is there any easy way to get Backup Exec to keep track of
    which tape it should be backing up to? - ideally I'd like it
    to e-mail me telling me when to change tapes, and which tape
    to put in (just to make it easier for someone else to look
    after when I'm not here) - I was planning on writing a little
    C program to keep track of my tapes - but it seems like a
    wasted effort if the backup software will do it already.

    3. I've configured IDR - and made myself a bootable CD-ROM - but
    I'm not sure about where to store the disaster recovery files.
    At the moment, they are stored on the RAID array of our main
    NT box (which is also the backup box) - would I be better off
    moving them to another machine?

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve.

  2. Reply to : A few quick questions...

    Answer to 1) You need to have admin shares C$, D$ etc to avoid this error.
    It is critical

    Answer to 2) Right now I am running out .....later I shall read it

    Answer to 3) In tools / options U have an idr tab where U can specify alternate
    path

    Does the above help ??
    Pls reply .

    Rgds

    JIthesh

    "Stephen Wilson" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just been upgrading our backup server to Backup Exec 7.3
    >and I have a few questions:
    >
    >1. When I start the user interface, I get the following error
    > message: "Error: Password database error: Open Failed" - I
    > know that on this particular machine the Administrator
    > account has been changed - is this what's causing the
    > problem? Any ideas how I can fix it? - the software seems
    > to work OK despite of the error - is it something to worry
    > about?
    >
    >2. At the moment, I have 11 backup tapes - which I do a full
    > backup to on Friday, and differential backups monday to
    > Friday. I have another 24 tapes that I'd like to use for
    > long term backup - i.e. once a month, instead of using one
    > of my normal tapes for the full friday backup - I'd use one
    > of the long term tapes - and archive it once it was finished.
    > Is there any easy way to get Backup Exec to keep track of
    > which tape it should be backing up to? - ideally I'd like it
    > to e-mail me telling me when to change tapes, and which tape
    > to put in (just to make it easier for someone else to look
    > after when I'm not here) - I was planning on writing a little
    > C program to keep track of my tapes - but it seems like a
    > wasted effort if the backup software will do it already.
    >
    >3. I've configured IDR - and made myself a bootable CD-ROM - but
    > I'm not sure about where to store the disaster recovery files.
    > At the moment, they are stored on the RAID array of our main
    > NT box (which is also the backup box) - would I be better off
    > moving them to another machine?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Steve.

  3. Re: Reply to : A few quick questions...

    " jits" wrote:

    > Answer to 1) You need to have admin shares C$, D$ etc to avoid
    > this error. It is critical

    Ahh - it looks like someone has removed the default drive shares.
    I'll try putting them back - and see if that helps.

    > Answer to 3) In tools / options U have an idr tab where U can
    > specify alternate path

    So I'd be better off moving it to a separate machine? (I guess
    having it stored on the RAID array is a bit silly - as that is
    probably the most likely part of the machine to crash)

    >Does the above help ??

    Yes, it does - thanks!

    Steve.

  4. Re: Reply to : A few quick questions...

    " jits" wrote:

    > Answer to 1) You need to have admin shares C$, D$ etc to avoid
    > this error. It is critical

    Thanks - I have just made the drive shares available again - and
    sure enough, the error message has vanished... (you would have
    thought the error message it generated might be a bit more user
    friendly... - I would never have guessed what was causing the
    problems if you hadn't told me...)

    Steve.

+ Reply to Thread