encryption on backup tapes? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on encryption on backup tapes? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is there anyway to make the data on the backup tapes to be encrypted so that the data would not be stolen if the tape get lost? Please advise! Thanks a lot!...

  1. encryption on backup tapes?

    Is there anyway to make the data on the backup tapes to be encrypted so
    that the data would not be stolen if the tape get lost?

    Please advise!

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: encryption on backup tapes?

    Not built in to Backup Exec. But you can use some other third-party
    encryption first, then backup it up.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: encryption on backup tapes?

    Barry St.John wrote:
    > Not built in to Backup Exec. But you can use some other third-party
    > encryption first, then backup it up.
    >
    > -Barry.

    I would appreciate it if you can recommend me what other third-party
    encryption I can use.

    Thank you very much!

  4. Re: encryption on backup tapes?

    I've never used it, but NetWare 6.5 has volume-level encryption built into NSS.

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...6.html#bpy5h36

    -Barry.

  5. Re: encryption on backup tapes?

    Barry St.John wrote:

    > I've never used it, but NetWare 6.5 has volume-level encryption built
    > into NSS.
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/documentation/...5h36.html#bpy5
    > h36
    >
    > -Barry.

    That's true, but it does not help in getting data encrypted to tape as
    the read operation decrypts the data on the fly so that the backup
    software has unencrypted data to process. But you maybe could get data
    encrypted if you are backing up to disk and your backup volume is
    encrypted - I never tried this - so no experiences.

    --
    W. Prindl

  6. Re: encryption on backup tapes?

    W_ Prindl wrote:
    > Barry St.John wrote:
    >
    >> I've never used it, but NetWare 6.5 has volume-level encryption built
    >> into NSS.
    >>
    >> http://www.novell.com/documentation/...5h36.html#bpy5
    >> h36
    >>
    >> -Barry.

    > That's true, but it does not help in getting data encrypted to tape as
    > the read operation decrypts the data on the fly so that the backup
    > software has unencrypted data to process. But you maybe could get data
    > encrypted if you are backing up to disk and your backup volume is
    > encrypted - I never tried this - so no experiences.

    Sorry that I have not quite understood what you mean. Can you explain to
    me again about "you maybe could get data encrypted if you are backing up
    to disk and your backup volume is encrypted"?

    Thank you all very much for all the responses.

+ Reply to Thread