Copy backup to disk "tapes" to USB hard drive? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Copy backup to disk "tapes" to USB hard drive? - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is going to sound dumb, but let's say BackupExec is not finding the tape auto-loader (VXA packet loader), even though the OS and other diagnostics can see it. In the meantime, customer is wondering if they can't just copy ...

  1. Copy backup to disk "tapes" to USB hard drive?

    This is going to sound dumb, but let's say BackupExec is not finding the
    tape auto-loader (VXA packet loader), even though the OS and other
    diagnostics can see it.

    In the meantime, customer is wondering if they can't just copy the fake
    'tapes' that the Backup to Disk makes to a USB external hard drive and
    take those home since the dupe to tapes aren't working right now.

    While I know that technically works, the question I have is what about
    restores?

    If the retention time of the fake tapes (backup to disk) is 7 days, and
    it's say, 14 days later, can you simply copy those tape files from the
    USB drive BACK to the server and have backup exec read them?

  2. Re: Copy backup to disk "tapes" to USB hard drive?

    This should work, but to restore you'll need to copy them back to their
    original location first. That is, I don't think you can restore
    directly from the USB drive. Of course you would have to do that with
    tape anyway. It works that way with tape, so I don't know why it
    wouldn't with any other removable media.

    Also, if the volume where the B2D files are stored has compression
    enabled, then you should also format the USB drive as a NetWare volume
    with compression enabled. Otherwise you could have trouble restoring
    them.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Copy backup to disk "tapes" to USB hard drive?

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > This should work, but to restore you'll need to copy them back to their
    > original location first. That is, I don't think you can restore
    > directly from the USB drive. Of course you would have to do that with
    > tape anyway. It works that way with tape, so I don't know why it
    > wouldn't with any other removable media.
    >
    > Also, if the volume where the B2D files are stored has compression
    > enabled, then you should also format the USB drive as a NetWare volume
    > with compression enabled. Otherwise you could have trouble restoring
    > them.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Great, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread