Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found - Veritas Backup Exec ; Thanks to Brian@nisd.net Although logically the overwrite protection of the media set should have nothing to do with the ability to append to that media set (considering there is a section to define the append abilities), that seems to not ...

  1. Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Thanks to Brian@nisd.net

    Although logically the overwrite protection of the media set should have
    nothing to do with the ability to append to that media set (considering
    there is a section to define the append abilities), that seems to not be
    the case.

    Changing the media set by pressing F4 on that set and then changing the
    Overwrite protection period to:

    Overwrite protection period None - allow overwrite
    Append period Infinite - allow append (mine were already at this setting)

    All of my servers have now done an append backup as before.

    Regards,
    Dieter

  2. Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    If the media set overwrtie config is greyed out you have to change it first
    in the tools -> option-> media server -> media =partial protection then change
    it in the media set.

    Dieter wrote:
    >Thanks to Brian@nisd.net
    >
    >Although logically the overwrite protection of the media set should have

    >nothing to do with the ability to append to that media set (considering

    >there is a section to define the append abilities), that seems to not be

    >the case.
    >
    >Changing the media set by pressing F4 on that set and then changing the

    >Overwrite protection period to:
    >
    >Overwrite protection period None - allow overwrite
    >Append period Infinite - allow append (mine were already at this setting)
    >

    >All of my servers have now done an append backup as before.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dieter

  3. Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    HI,

    We also had this problem start on one of our NW 6.5.6 servers shortly after
    applying the DST-2007 updates. Maddening - append jobs have run for years
    with no problems. Running Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1158.4
    Policy name: 2nd ... nth nightly job
    Backup method: Full
    Job completed: With ERROR - Appendable media was not found for the specified
    media set

    I went into the media set properties for Default Media and saw that they
    were correct as per Dieter's suggestions, but "bounced" them just to be sure,
    restarted the server, no dice. I'm going to try a full erase on a tape.
    Hoping to avoid a painful call to BE tech support...

    Help!

    Steve

    "jrl" wrote:

    >If the media set overwrtie config is greyed out you have to change it first
    >in the tools -> option-> media server -> media =partial protection then

    change
    >it in the media set.
    >
    >Dieter wrote:
    >>Thanks to Brian@nisd.net
    >>
    >>Although logically the overwrite protection of the media set should have

    >>nothing to do with the ability to append to that media set (considering

    >>there is a section to define the append abilities), that seems to not be

    >>the case.
    >>
    >>Changing the media set by pressing F4 on that set and then changing the

    >>Overwrite protection period to:
    >>
    >>Overwrite protection period None - allow overwrite
    >>Append period Infinite - allow append (mine were already at this setting)
    >>

    >>All of my servers have now done an append backup as before.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Dieter

  4. Solution - Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Well, I don't know if this is the "real" solution, but here is the latest:

    I noticed that even if I moved all media to Retired and deleted them, when
    they were re-used for the first overwrite job, they would appear in the media
    DB with the same ID, something like "tape_0003", and appends would still
    fail with the annoying "Appendable media was not found for the specified
    media set"

    After I did a full erase of one tape, and then did a quick overwrite job,
    it appeared in the media DB with a new name that had never been used before
    "tape_0007" . The stats on the tape were cleared, and it showed a creation
    date of today. Appends are now working on this tape.

    Perhaps some kind of a corruption of the Media DB? Some bad "EOT" marker
    on the tape that was removed with the full erase?

    Will know more after testing with other tapes later this week.

    $teve

    "Stephen T. Crye" wrote:

    >HI,
    >
    >We also had this problem start on one of our NW 6.5.6 servers shortly after
    >applying the DST-2007 updates. Maddening - append jobs have run for years
    >with no problems. Running Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1158.4
    > Policy name: 2nd ... nth nightly job
    > Backup method: Full
    > Job completed: With ERROR - Appendable media was not found for the specified
    >media set
    >
    >I went into the media set properties for Default Media and saw that they
    >were correct as per Dieter's suggestions, but "bounced" them just to be

    sure,
    >restarted the server, no dice. I'm going to try a full erase on a tape.
    >Hoping to avoid a painful call to BE tech support...
    >
    >Help!
    >
    >Steve
    >
    >"jrl" wrote:
    >>
    >>If the media set overwrtie config is greyed out you have to change it first
    >>in the tools -> option-> media server -> media =partial protection then

    >change
    >>it in the media set.
    >>
    >>Dieter wrote:
    >>>Thanks to Brian@nisd.net
    >>>
    >>>Although logically the overwrite protection of the media set should have

    >>>nothing to do with the ability to append to that media set (considering

    >>>there is a section to define the append abilities), that seems to not

    be

    >>>the case.
    >>>
    >>>Changing the media set by pressing F4 on that set and then changing the

    >>>Overwrite protection period to:
    >>>
    >>>Overwrite protection period None - allow overwrite
    >>>Append period Infinite - allow append (mine were already at this setting)
    >>>

    >>>All of my servers have now done an append backup as before.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Dieter

+ Reply to Thread