Appendable Media Not Found - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Appendable Media Not Found - Veritas Backup Exec ; Over the weekend we patched up java for DST. Our backups had already completed for the weedend with no problem. Monday night's on all the servers that backup other servers failed with the error "Appendable Media Not Found," on all ...

  1. Appendable Media Not Found

    Over the weekend we patched up java for DST. Our backups had already completed
    for the weedend with no problem. Monday night's on all the servers that backup
    other servers failed with the error "Appendable Media Not Found," on all
    the remote servers, about twenty. The versions of bkupexec, we are using
    is 9.0 ( 4175) and 9.2, the version of OS is Netware 5.1 sp8 and Netware
    6.0 sp5. We are not using the java console to configure the jobs or polices.
    I can overwrite with no problems but I just can not append.

    I have tried the following:

    Deleted and recreated the Policy
    Deleted and Recreated the Jobs
    Unload bkupexec, renamed both the Java and MM directories in bkupexec
    Reinstalled Bkupexec
    Upgrade Bkupexec to 9.2
    unload Java completely
    Tried to manually back rev the Java DST update
    Replaced the Tape (last resort)

    Did anyone have this issue or a fixed or dynamic!

  2. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Verify the configuration of the media pool does allow for append.
    Media|Media View. Press [F4] on the media set in question.

    If that's good, check the record for the individual media under
    Media|Media View. If the problem media shows up there as
    "Unappendable" instead of "Normal", you might need to delete the media
    record. You can catalog the media to recreate the record, if needed.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Exact same issue here. 5 Different Netware 6.5sp5 servers in different offices
    with no connection to each other.
    All servers had the Netware DSTShift.nlm run but we have not patched the
    Java yet.
    This patch has been on 4 of these servers from 1-2 weeks (Last server was
    on Friday).
    All servers ran the Full on Saturday morning but they have all errored out
    on the Differentials on Sun-Tue. Same tape that was in Saturday (LTO2 with
    146gb uncompressed space still available) . All of the servers are the same
    with all media in the Default pool and the append set at "Infinite - allow
    append".

    1 - BENW 9
    4 - BENW 9.1

    So it happens on different version of Netware with different versions of
    BENW.
    Only thing changed here in the last 6 months was the DSTShift.nlm patch.

    "brian" wrote:

    >Over the weekend we patched up java for DST. Our backups had already completed
    >for the weedend with no problem. Monday night's on all the servers that

    backup
    >other servers failed with the error "Appendable Media Not Found," on all
    >the remote servers, about twenty. The versions of bkupexec, we are using
    >is 9.0 ( 4175) and 9.2, the version of OS is Netware 5.1 sp8 and Netware
    >6.0 sp5. We are not using the java console to configure the jobs or polices.
    >I can overwrite with no problems but I just can not append.
    >
    > I have tried the following:
    >
    >Deleted and recreated the Policy
    >Deleted and Recreated the Jobs
    >Unload bkupexec, renamed both the Java and MM directories in bkupexec
    >Reinstalled Bkupexec
    >Upgrade Bkupexec to 9.2
    >unload Java completely
    >Tried to manually back rev the Java DST update
    >Replaced the Tape (last resort)
    >
    >Did anyone have this issue or a fixed or dynamic!

  4. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Barry,

    Thanks, I do not how the java update could have change this or if some one
    was playing a joke but it appears to be working at least on my initial test.

    Once again Thanks!!!

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Verify the configuration of the media pool does allow for append.
    >Media|Media View. Press [F4] on the media set in question.
    >
    >If that's good, check the record for the individual media under
    >Media|Media View. If the problem media shows up there as
    >"Unappendable" instead of "Normal", you might need to delete the media
    >record. You can catalog the media to recreate the record, if needed.
    >
    >-Barry.

  5. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    Discovered the same issue and resolution yesterday afternoon.

    Seriously SCARY note:
    IFF the backup policy is set to "Append to media; OVERWRITE if no appendable
    media available" - ALL append jobs using this policy would change to OVERWRITE
    jobs - meaning it LOOKS like your backups are all successful and appended,
    but unless you go in to ensure Media ID does NOT change with each successive
    append job, and "Set XX created..." does NOT stay at "1" (one) - you will
    find when you need to do a restore that ONLY data from the LAST so-called
    "append" job will be restorable!

    WHOA!

    This has GOT to be publicized or data loss will be unavoidable for a LOT
    of companies!

    "Brad" wrote:

    >Exact same issue here. 5 Different Netware 6.5sp5 servers in different

    offices
    >with no connection to each other.
    >All servers had the Netware DSTShift.nlm run but we have not patched the
    >Java yet.
    >This patch has been on 4 of these servers from 1-2 weeks (Last server was
    >on Friday).
    >All servers ran the Full on Saturday morning but they have all errored out
    >on the Differentials on Sun-Tue. Same tape that was in Saturday (LTO2 with
    >146gb uncompressed space still available) . All of the servers are the

    same
    >with all media in the Default pool and the append set at "Infinite - allow
    >append".
    >
    >1 - BENW 9
    >4 - BENW 9.1
    >
    >So it happens on different version of Netware with different versions of
    >BENW.
    >Only thing changed here in the last 6 months was the DSTShift.nlm patch.
    >

    >"brian" wrote:
    >>
    >>Over the weekend we patched up java for DST. Our backups had already completed
    >>for the weedend with no problem. Monday night's on all the servers that

    >backup
    >>other servers failed with the error "Appendable Media Not Found," on all
    >>the remote servers, about twenty. The versions of bkupexec, we are using
    >>is 9.0 ( 4175) and 9.2, the version of OS is Netware 5.1 sp8 and Netware
    >>6.0 sp5. We are not using the java console to configure the jobs or polices.
    >>I can overwrite with no problems but I just can not append.
    >>
    >> I have tried the following:
    >>
    >>Deleted and recreated the Policy
    >>Deleted and Recreated the Jobs
    >>Unload bkupexec, renamed both the Java and MM directories in bkupexec
    >>Reinstalled Bkupexec
    >>Upgrade Bkupexec to 9.2
    >>unload Java completely
    >>Tried to manually back rev the Java DST update
    >>Replaced the Tape (last resort)
    >>
    >>Did anyone have this issue or a fixed or dynamic!

  6. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    I have the same problem. It seems a time bomb. I have unload the timesync,
    changed the date back to February and no such problem happened. I have tested
    serveral times and found the exact date for this time bomb is 4 March 2007.

    Any solution, pls, thanks

    "Bruce Arneson" wrote:

    >Discovered the same issue and resolution yesterday afternoon.
    >
    >Seriously SCARY note:
    >IFF the backup policy is set to "Append to media; OVERWRITE if no appendable
    >media available" - ALL append jobs using this policy would change to OVERWRITE
    >jobs - meaning it LOOKS like your backups are all successful and appended,
    >but unless you go in to ensure Media ID does NOT change with each successive
    >append job, and "Set XX created..." does NOT stay at "1" (one) - you will
    >find when you need to do a restore that ONLY data from the LAST so-called
    >"append" job will be restorable!
    >
    >WHOA!
    >
    >This has GOT to be publicized or data loss will be unavoidable for a LOT
    >of companies!
    >

    >"Brad" wrote:
    >>
    >>Exact same issue here. 5 Different Netware 6.5sp5 servers in different

    >offices
    >>with no connection to each other.
    >>All servers had the Netware DSTShift.nlm run but we have not patched the
    >>Java yet.
    >>This patch has been on 4 of these servers from 1-2 weeks (Last server was
    >>on Friday).
    >>All servers ran the Full on Saturday morning but they have all errored

    out
    >>on the Differentials on Sun-Tue. Same tape that was in Saturday (LTO2

    with
    >>146gb uncompressed space still available) . All of the servers are the

    >same
    >>with all media in the Default pool and the append set at "Infinite - allow
    >>append".
    >>
    >>1 - BENW 9
    >>4 - BENW 9.1
    >>
    >>So it happens on different version of Netware with different versions of
    >>BENW.
    >>Only thing changed here in the last 6 months was the DSTShift.nlm patch.
    >>

    >>"brian" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Over the weekend we patched up java for DST. Our backups had already completed
    >>>for the weedend with no problem. Monday night's on all the servers that

    >>backup
    >>>other servers failed with the error "Appendable Media Not Found," on all
    >>>the remote servers, about twenty. The versions of bkupexec, we are using
    >>>is 9.0 ( 4175) and 9.2, the version of OS is Netware 5.1 sp8 and Netware
    >>>6.0 sp5. We are not using the java console to configure the jobs or polices.
    >>>I can overwrite with no problems but I just can not append.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried the following:
    >>>
    >>>Deleted and recreated the Policy
    >>>Deleted and Recreated the Jobs
    >>>Unload bkupexec, renamed both the Java and MM directories in bkupexec
    >>>Reinstalled Bkupexec
    >>>Upgrade Bkupexec to 9.2
    >>>unload Java completely
    >>>Tried to manually back rev the Java DST update
    >>>Replaced the Tape (last resort)
    >>>
    >>>Did anyone have this issue or a fixed or dynamic!

  7. Re: Appendable Media Not Found

    There is a patch for this now:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/287839

    -Barry.