Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff - Veritas Backup Exec ; I now get "Volume not available (-452)" backing up Groupwise Postoffice. It does not halt the backup and there are messages indicating that the backup of Groupwise Postoffice continues after the error. However I am concerned that files might be ...

  1. Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    I now get "Volume not available (-452)" backing up Groupwise Postoffice.
    It does not halt the backup and there are messages indicating that the
    backup of Groupwise Postoffice continues after the error. However I am
    concerned that files might be being missed.

    I have seen the Novelll TID 10081715 which reported a very similar
    problem but that was with GW6 and BE8.5 and even that was apparently
    fixed back then.

    We have GW 6.5 SP4 and BE 9.1 and I can find no other references to
    anyone having this error since.

    Are there logs I can enable which will give me more of a clue?

    Also getting insufficient privelege on ROFDATA/ngwguard.db . Beginning
    to doubt whether I will ever get a backup to run without having the
    completion status 'Error'.

  2. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Nick Hoare wrote:

    > I now get "Volume not available (-452)" backing up Groupwise
    > Postoffice. It does not halt the backup and there are messages
    > indicating that the backup of Groupwise Postoffice continues after
    > the error. However I am concerned that files might be being missed.
    >
    > I have seen the Novelll TID 10081715 which reported a very similar
    > problem but that was with GW6 and BE8.5 and even that was apparently
    > fixed back then.
    >
    > We have GW 6.5 SP4 and BE 9.1 and I can find no other references to
    > anyone having this error since.
    >
    > Are there logs I can enable which will give me more of a clue?
    >
    > Also getting insufficient privelege on ROFDATA/ngwguard.db .
    > Beginning to doubt whether I will ever get a backup to run without
    > having the completion status 'Error'.

    Take a look here:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/255934

  3. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    In article <45dc499c@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > 255934

    Sorry Chris but that link does not work. Also searching for that
    document number produced nothing.

  4. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Nick Hoare wrote:

    > In article <45dc499c@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > 255934
    > >

    > Sorry Chris but that link does not work. Also searching for that
    > document number produced nothing.

    Sorry about that.

    Basically, it says that the error is due to NSS corruption and that you
    should contact Novell for further assistance.

  5. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    In article <45dc8814@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Nick Hoare wrote:
    >
    > > In article <45dc499c@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > > 255934
    > > >

    > > Sorry Chris but that link does not work. Also searching for that
    > > document number produced nothing.

    > Sorry about that.
    >
    > Basically, it says that the error is due to NSS corruption and that you
    > should contact Novell for further assistance.

    Well the Groupwise being backed up is on a Traditional Netware Volume.
    Backup is using TSAFSGW. The Media Server is on an NSS Volume but if
    that was the problem I wouldn't only get this error on the Groupwise
    Postoffice backup.

    If you know where I could see the article it would be useful. And why
    might the article have disappeared?
    I have found an old reference (22 Aug 2005 09:24:26) in this newsgroup
    to what looks like an identical error. Unfortunately the thread was
    left unresolved.

  6. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    What version of TSA are you running?

    Make sure you have started TSAFS with /enablegw=yes, or that TSA.CFG
    has Enable GroupWise: 1 in it. TSAFSGW won't work correctly otherwise.

    -Barry.

  7. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > What version of TSA are you running?
    >
    > Make sure you have started TSAFS with /enablegw=yes, or that TSA.CFG
    > has Enable GroupWise: 1 in it. TSAFSGW won't work correctly otherwise.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Versions are
    TSA 6.51.05
    TSAFSGW 6.05.07

    GW is enabled in TSA.

    Nick

  8. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Nick Hoare wrote:

    > In article <45dc8814@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > Nick Hoare wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <45dc499c@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > > >
    > > > Sorry Chris but that link does not work. Also searching for that
    > > > document number produced nothing.

    > > Sorry about that.
    > >
    > > Basically, it says that the error is due to NSS corruption and that
    > > you should contact Novell for further assistance.
    > >

    > Well the Groupwise being backed up is on a Traditional Netware
    > Volume. Backup is using TSAFSGW. The Media Server is on an NSS
    > Volume but if that was the problem I wouldn't only get this error on
    > the Groupwise Postoffice backup.
    >
    > If you know where I could see the article it would be useful. And
    > why might the article have disappeared?
    > I have found an old reference (22 Aug 2005 09:24:26) in this
    > newsgroup to what looks like an identical error. Unfortunately the
    > thread was left unresolved.

    OK, so it's not an NSS related problem then. However, I'd still
    recommend that you contact Novell for further assistance seeing as
    TSAFSGW is a Novell module.

  9. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Your TSAFS.NLM is from TSA5UP19.EXE and your TSAFSGW.NLM is from FTF
    rev C.

    While generally it's a good idea to use the latest stuff, I have had
    some trouble with the newer TSAFS. I'm still using the one from
    TSA5UP18.EXE. And as I'm not having any issues with the TSAFSGW.NLM
    from that package, I've not tried the one you're using.

    -Barry.

  10. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Well I have reverted to the contents of the TSA5UP18.EXE, except the
    TSAFSGW module (mistake) , and first full backup has completed without
    the 452 error. 2 consecutive incremental backups have also completed
    normally. So it is looking good.

    In fact this is the first full backup that has completed normally in
    recent history! Did not even get the 'Insufficient privilege for
    \ROFDATA\ngwguard.db' which we were also suffering from. I might throw
    a party.

    Thanks for the advice Barry (invite in the post) :-)

    I will report back if these were just flukes. My experience with
    backups over the years tells me over-confidence is fatal. Did I mention
    that the tape drive, replaced in November, reports it needs cleaning?
    The second tape drive was replaced this January. Both drives, Dell
    DAT72s, were in warranty. Its been a bad year. Thanks for listening.

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > Your TSAFS.NLM is from TSA5UP19.EXE and your TSAFSGW.NLM is from FTF
    > rev C.
    >
    > While generally it's a good idea to use the latest stuff, I have had
    > some trouble with the newer TSAFS. I'm still using the one from
    > TSA5UP18.EXE. And as I'm not having any issues with the TSAFSGW.NLM
    > from that package, I've not tried the one you're using.
    >
    > -Barry.

  11. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    Great news! Glad I could help.

    -Barry.

  12. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    In article ,
    nick.hoare@logistics.co.uk says...
    > Well I have reverted to the contents of the TSA5UP18.EXE, except the
    > TSAFSGW module (mistake) , and first full backup has completed without
    > the 452 error. 2 consecutive incremental backups have also completed
    > normally. So it is looking good.
    >
    > In fact this is the first full backup that has completed normally in
    > recent history! Did not even get the 'Insufficient privilege for
    > \ROFDATA\ngwguard.db' which we were also suffering from. I might throw
    > a party.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice Barry (invite in the post) :-)
    >
    > I will report back if these were just flukes. My experience with
    > backups over the years tells me over-confidence is fatal. Did I mention
    > that the tape drive, replaced in November, reports it needs cleaning?
    > The second tape drive was replaced this January. Both drives, Dell
    > DAT72s, were in warranty. Its been a bad year. Thanks for listening.
    >
    > In article ,
    > bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > > Your TSAFS.NLM is from TSA5UP19.EXE and your TSAFSGW.NLM is from FTF
    > > rev C.
    > >
    > > While generally it's a good idea to use the latest stuff, I have had
    > > some trouble with the newer TSAFS. I'm still using the one from
    > > TSA5UP18.EXE. And as I'm not having any issues with the TSAFSGW.NLM
    > > from that package, I've not tried the one you're using.
    > >
    > > -Barry.

    I can confirm that reverting back to TSA5UP18.EXE has cured all my
    backup woes. Full week of "Normal" backups now completed. (Apart from
    SCSI error when server re-located just so complacency did not set in too
    soon)

  13. Re: Error 452 backing up Groupwise Postoff

    > I can confirm that reverting back to TSA5UP18.EXE has cured all my
    > backup woes.

    Good to hear. Thanks for the follow up!

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread