What defines a "tape library" for licensing purposes? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What defines a "tape library" for licensing purposes? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am currently trying to use a Dell Powervault 114T tape drive with Netware 6.5sp5 and BE9.2. The drive is not recognized by BE. I'm wondering if this might be because BE considers this device a tape library. It is ...

  1. What defines a "tape library" for licensing purposes?

    I am currently trying to use a Dell Powervault 114T tape drive with Netware
    6.5sp5 and BE9.2. The drive is not recognized by BE. I'm wondering if this
    might be because BE considers this device a tape library. It is really just
    two single drives in the same chassis with no form of autoloader, but when
    running BEGATHER, I get the following lines in DCDIAG.FAX

    --------------------------- ROBOT.DAT ----------------------------
    Robot ID: 1
    Robot Guid: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Robot State: 0
    Robot Flags: 0
    Robot Type: 1
    Robot Name: Stand-alone
    Robot Vendor:
    Robot Product:
    Robot FirmwareRev:
    Robot FirmwareNum:
    Robot SerialNum:
    BridgeGuid:
    RobotTarget(SCSI ID): -1
    RobotBus (HA) 0
    RobotLun: 0
    CreationDateTime: Fri Feb 9 14:01:32 2007
    Drive Count: 0
    Portal Count: 0
    Slot Count: 0
    First Slot Number: 0
    First Portal Number: 0
    First Drive Number: 0
    First Arm Number: 0
    Total Mounts: 0
    Total Mount Errors: 0
    Robot Features: 0
    Base Slot: 0
    Robot General Flags: 0

    Is this indicating that BE considers the device a "tape library" and is not
    recognizing it for licensing reasons?

  2. Re: What defines a "tape library" for licensing purposes?

    JW wrote:

    > I am currently trying to use a Dell Powervault 114T tape drive with
    > Netware 6.5sp5 and BE9.2. The drive is not recognized by BE. I'm
    > wondering if this might be because BE considers this device a tape
    > library. It is really just two single drives in the same chassis with
    > no form of autoloader, but when running BEGATHER, I get the following
    > lines in DCDIAG.FAX
    >
    > --------------------------- ROBOT.DAT ----------------------------
    > Robot ID: 1
    > Robot Guid: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    > Robot State: 0
    > Robot Flags: 0
    > Robot Type: 1
    > Robot Name: Stand-alone
    > Robot Vendor:
    > Robot Product:
    > Robot FirmwareRev:
    > Robot FirmwareNum:
    > Robot SerialNum:
    > BridgeGuid:
    > RobotTarget(SCSI ID): -1
    > RobotBus (HA) 0
    > RobotLun: 0
    > CreationDateTime: Fri Feb 9 14:01:32 2007
    > Drive Count: 0
    > Portal Count: 0
    > Slot Count: 0
    > First Slot Number: 0
    > First Portal Number: 0
    > First Drive Number: 0
    > First Arm Number: 0
    > Total Mounts: 0
    > Total Mount Errors: 0
    > Robot Features: 0
    > Base Slot: 0
    > Robot General Flags: 0
    >
    > Is this indicating that BE considers the device a "tape library" and
    > is not recognizing it for licensing reasons?

    The 114T isn't on the HCL:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/282348

    The only way you'll be able to get BE to recognize it is to get it to
    emulate as a 110T.

  3. Re: What defines a "tape library" for licensing purposes?

    Besides what Chris says...

    You will only be able to see one drive with BE and no LEO license. For
    each additional drive you need another LEO license.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread