Remote administration and the bkupexec.nlm -tj switch - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote administration and the bkupexec.nlm -tj switch - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a server on which I would like to minimize resource utilization. If I remove the -tj switch from the bkupexec.nlm line in bestart.ncf, I can stop the java administration screen from loading. I know this will stop me ...

  1. Remote administration and the bkupexec.nlm -tj switch

    I have a server on which I would like to minimize resource utilization. If
    I remove the -tj switch from the bkupexec.nlm line in bestart.ncf, I can
    stop the java administration screen from loading.

    I know this will stop me from running the administration console from the
    servers startx gui, but will it also stop me from running the administration
    console from a remote workstation?

  2. Re: Remote administration and the bkupexec.nlm -tj switch

    jameswatson3 wrote:

    > I have a server on which I would like to minimize resource
    > utilization. If I remove the -tj switch from the bkupexec.nlm line in
    > bestart.ncf, I can stop the java administration screen from loading.
    >
    > I know this will stop me from running the administration console from
    > the servers startx gui, but will it also stop me from running the
    > administration console from a remote workstation?

    Yes, you wont be able to connect to the server using ANY java admin
    console.

    --

  3. Re: Remote administration and the bkupexec.nlm -tj switch

    Like Chris says. The -tj switch lets the Java servlet for
    Backup Exec load. Once that is loaded any Java client can
    connect, whether from Windows or NetWare (startx).

    If you have concerns about the server's resources and you
    don't want to keep the servlet loaded all the time, you can
    use BESTARTJ.NCF to load the servlet when you want.
    Unloading it is a bit more work, though.

    From the server console type java -show and it will give you
    a list of all java apps running:

    ----------[snip]----------
    BACK2:java -show

    Classname ID
    ================================================== ========== ============
    vrts.hro.net.rmi.server.ServerMain................ .......... 1913
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap............. .......... 328
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap............. .......... 341

    Total Running: 3
    BACK2:

    The one you're interested in is vrts.hro.net.rmi.server.ServerMain.
    Note its process ID is 1913 in this example. This will vary with each use.
    To unload the servlet, issue the command: java -kill{process_ID}
    So for this example you'd type: java -kill1913
    Note that there is no space between the -kill switch and the process ID.

    Hope this helps!

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread