Cannot Connect to Dataserver - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cannot Connect to Dataserver - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having the problem that jobs, which have been running fine, are suddenly complaining that they 'Cannot connect to the Dataserver'. The Media Server is a separate machine to the Remote single server being backed up. This happened after ...

  1. Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    I am having the problem that jobs, which have been running fine, are
    suddenly complaining that they 'Cannot connect to the Dataserver'. The
    Media Server is a separate machine to the Remote single server being
    backed up. This happened after both systems were rebooted. Most jobs
    complain about all tasks (DOS partition, Groupwise, File System etc.)
    However some jobs only complain about the File system although they were
    able to connect to backup e.g. Groupwise. The only way to get around
    this is to delete and recreate the jobs. The Media Server is always able
    to browse the Remote Agent despite what the jobs say.

    This has happened before however does not always happen after the
    systems are rebooted (thankfully) but I have not been able to establish
    the sequence of events that cause it.

    Editting the jobs, making the selections again, does not fix the
    problem.

    Thanks for any help on this, either a cure or a way to edit the jobs to
    get them to work again.

  2. Re: Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    In article ,
    nick.hoare@logistics.co.uk says...
    > I am having the problem that jobs, which have been running fine, are
    > suddenly complaining that they 'Cannot connect to the Dataserver'. The
    > Media Server is a separate machine to the Remote single server being
    > backed up. This happened after both systems were rebooted. Most jobs
    > complain about all tasks (DOS partition, Groupwise, File System etc.)
    > However some jobs only complain about the File system although they were
    > able to connect to backup e.g. Groupwise. The only way to get around
    > this is to delete and recreate the jobs. The Media Server is always able
    > to browse the Remote Agent despite what the jobs say.
    >
    > This has happened before however does not always happen after the
    > systems are rebooted (thankfully) but I have not been able to establish
    > the sequence of events that cause it.
    >
    > Editting the jobs, making the selections again, does not fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help on this, either a cure or a way to edit the jobs to
    > get them to work again.

    Having seen elsewhere in this forum how to look at a backup job I think
    this might be something to do with jobs authenticating as the
    AUTO_LOGIN_USER . However I still don't know why this problem would
    suddenly occur.

  3. Re: Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    What version of BE are you running? I had this problem with BE9.0
    quite often. BE9.1 was somewhat better.

    -Barry.

  4. Re: Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > What version of BE are you running? I had this problem with BE9.0
    > quite often. BE9.1 was somewhat better.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Its 9.1.1158.

    Now I know how to look into scripts I see that I have a whole mish-mash
    of Auto_Login_User and the Admin user. I am guessing that if I create a
    job using the Windows client it uses the auto_login_user whereas if I
    create a job using the Novell client it uses the logged in admin user.
    This is caused because you have to run between the two all the time
    because the Novell client does not allow you to the change file
    selection wheras the Windows client does not allow you to re-schedule a
    job for a time in the past, something you have to do if an overnight job
    fails and you want to retry it.

    Still does not explain why one minute the auto_login_user works and the
    next it doesn't.

  5. Re: Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    I recall this being a problem in 9.0, but I thought it was fixed in 9.1
    -- at least a later build of it. Regardless, I stopped using autologin
    and I just assign credentials to each backup target individually. A
    bit more work up front, and more whenever you change the password, but
    at least it works consistently.

    9.2 does seem to have this particular problem worked out, as I do have
    a few remote sites configured for autologin, and they no longer have
    the problem.

    -Barry.

  6. Re: Cannot Connect to Dataserver

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > I recall this being a problem in 9.0, but I thought it was fixed in 9.1
    > -- at least a later build of it. Regardless, I stopped using autologin
    > and I just assign credentials to each backup target individually. A
    > bit more work up front, and more whenever you change the password, but
    > at least it works consistently.
    >
    > 9.2 does seem to have this particular problem worked out, as I do have
    > a few remote sites configured for autologin, and they no longer have
    > the problem.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Thanks Barry. It is such a long time ago since I set BE up I forgot
    there was another way. I have disabled auto-login now.

    Got another problem though - see new posting?

    Nick

+ Reply to Thread