TapeAlert? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on TapeAlert? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and no open file option. When I am backing up the data about 4GB or 10GB, the backup stop. And I found this in the Job history: TapeAlert! CRITICAL: The ...

  1. TapeAlert?

    I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and no open file option.
    When I am backing up the data about 4GB or 10GB, the backup stop.
    And I found this in the Job history:

    TapeAlert!
    CRITICAL: The tape drive has a hardware fault:
    1. Turn the tape drive off then on again
    2. Restart the operation
    3. If problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline
    Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on
    turning the device power on and off
    Device HA:0 ID:5 LUN:0 BNCHMARK DLT1 needs to be cleaned. Please clean the
    device and retry the operation.

    I have try all the solution and no goods new are there.
    any idea?

  2. Re: TapeAlert?

    This is the debug log as following:

    Backup operation started: 01/31/07 at 09:32:52p
    Backup type: Normal

    Overwriting tape: "KOGPFP01".

    Tape ID: 363fac1d Tape 1 Tape Name: "KOGPFP01" Set 1 created 01/31/07
    Set Name: "KOGPFP01_DATA"
    Backup of KOGPFP01.NetWare File System/KOGPFP01/DATA:
    in Partition "bk01"
    Drive: "HA:0 ID:5 LUN:0 BNCHMARK DLT1"

    Backup set started: 01/31/07 at 09:33:02p

    TapeAlert!
    CRITICAL: The tape drive has a hardware fault:
    1. Turn the tape drive off then on again
    2. Restart the operation
    3. If problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline
    Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on
    turning the device power on and off
    Device HA:0 ID:5 LUN:0 BNCHMARK DLT1 needs to be cleaned. Please clean the
    device and retry the operation.

    Total directories: 2750
    Total files: 40690
    Total bytes: 13,821,934,932 (13181.6 Megabytes)
    Total time: 01:20:56
    Throughput: 2,846,362 bytes/second (162.8 Megabytes/minute)
    Total bytes used on this media: 13,859,291,136 (13217.2 Megabytes)

    Backup set ended: 01/31/07 at 10:53:58p

    Total devices: 1
    Total bytes: 13,821,934,932 (13181.6 Megabytes)
    Total time: 01:20:56
    Throughput: 2,846,362 bytes/second (162.8 Megabytes/minute)

    Backup operation ended: 01/31/07 at 10:53:58p

    Operation ended on tape #1 in partition "bk01".
    Job completion status: Error

  3. Re: TapeAlert?

    Winson Law wrote:

    > I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and no open file option.
    > When I am backing up the data about 4GB or 10GB, the backup stop.
    > And I found this in the Job history:
    >
    > TapeAlert!
    > CRITICAL: The tape drive has a hardware fault:
    > 1. Turn the tape drive off then on again
    > 2. Restart the operation
    > 3. If problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline
    > Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on
    > turning the device power on and off
    > Device HA:0 ID:5 LUN:0 BNCHMARK DLT1 needs to be cleaned. Please
    > clean the device and retry the operation.
    >
    > I have try all the solution and no goods new are there.
    > any idea?

    Sounds like a hardware issue to me. 8.5 is very, very old so you may
    want to consider upgrading to 9.2 to see if this helps.

  4. Re: TapeAlert?

    Hi Chris,

    Without the upgrade solution, any other idea?

    Regards,

  5. Re: TapeAlert?

    Winson Law wrote:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > Without the upgrade solution, any other idea?
    >
    > Regards,

    Not really. As I said, it sounds like a hardware problem so you should
    consider replacing the drive.

  6. Re: TapeAlert?

    In article <45C2FF31.74E5.0064.0@gmail.com>, sml852@gmail.com says...
    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > Without the upgrade solution, any other idea?
    >
    > Regards,

    If you can use it the TapeRX utility has a read/write a test which will
    confirm one way or another if the drive has hardware problems. Dell use
    it. Don't think it is a Dell utility though. Works with HP, Quantum,
    Dell, Certance (Dell=Quantum=Certance ??? I'm not sure)

+ Reply to Thread