Can't unload Backupexec 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can't unload Backupexec 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Came in this morning to find all the lights flashing on my SDLT 600. The previous nights job had stopped during the Verify phase with 12% completed. The Alert said it was having trouble reading the media. I acked the ...

  1. Can't unload Backupexec 9.1

    Came in this morning to find all the lights flashing on my SDLT 600. The previous
    nights job had stopped during the Verify phase with 12% completed. The Alert
    said it was having trouble reading the media. I acked the alert and it was
    still hung, so I Ctrl +C. It said it was cancelling the job, but it never
    did. I tried to BESTOP, but that hung at trying to unload BESRVR. I then
    tried a BESTOP - A. No better although a lot more ominous. My server is sitting
    at 85-90% utilization and unfortunately I can't just bring it down in the
    middle of the work day. Anything I can do to force this job to cancel?

  2. Re: Can't unload Backupexec 9.1

    Have since been able to type UNLOAD NDMPD at the console. This was the module
    it was stuck on. Utilization is back to normal, but BESTOP still can't unload
    all the modules. It is stuck on AD_ASPI which is in use by CPHRT860. When
    I try to manually unload CPHRT860, it says "Unload module anyway? n" but
    I am not given an opportunity to say yes before the next line comes up and
    says "Module CPHRT860.NLM was NOT unloaded." I need to know if there is a
    way to definitively cancel a job in progress.

    "Jerry" wrote:

    >Came in this morning to find all the lights flashing on my SDLT 600. The

    previous
    >nights job had stopped during the Verify phase with 12% completed. The Alert
    >said it was having trouble reading the media. I acked the alert and it was
    >still hung, so I Ctrl +C. It said it was cancelling the job, but it never
    >did. I tried to BESTOP, but that hung at trying to unload BESRVR. I then
    >tried a BESTOP - A. No better although a lot more ominous. My server is

    sitting
    >at 85-90% utilization and unfortunately I can't just bring it down in the
    >middle of the work day. Anything I can do to force this job to cancel?

  3. Re: Can't unload Backupexec 9.1

    Jerry wrote:

    > Have since been able to type UNLOAD NDMPD at the console. This was
    > the module it was stuck on. Utilization is back to normal, but BESTOP
    > still can't unload all the modules. It is stuck on AD_ASPI which is
    > in use by CPHRT860. When I try to manually unload CPHRT860, it says
    > "Unload module anyway? n" but I am not given an opportunity to say
    > yes before the next line comes up and says "Module CPHRT860.NLM was
    > NOT unloaded." I need to know if there is a way to definitively
    > cancel a job in progress.
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    > >
    > > Came in this morning to find all the lights flashing on my SDLT
    > > 600. The

    > previous
    > > nights job had stopped during the Verify phase with 12% completed.
    > > The Alert said it was having trouble reading the media. I acked the
    > > alert and it was still hung, so I Ctrl +C. It said it was
    > > cancelling the job, but it never did. I tried to BESTOP, but that
    > > hung at trying to unload BESRVR. I then tried a BESTOP - A. No
    > > better although a lot more ominous. My server is

    > sitting
    > > at 85-90% utilization and unfortunately I can't just bring it down
    > > in the middle of the work day. Anything I can do to force this job
    > > to cancel?

    If LOAD BESTOP -A doesn't work, you could try disconnecting your tape
    drive and then another BESTOP. This has worked for me in the past..

+ Reply to Thread