RANT32 Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on RANT32 Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a NetWare 6.5 SP5 media server server running BackupExec 9.1 build 1156 and have installed the included Remote Agent for Windows Servers from that media server to a Windows 2003 server. The installation of the remote agent went ...

  1. RANT32 Error

    I have a NetWare 6.5 SP5 media server server running BackupExec 9.1 build
    1156 and have installed the included Remote Agent for Windows Servers from
    that media server to a Windows 2003 server.

    The installation of the remote agent went without any problems, the service
    is running, and the NetWare and Windows servers can ping each other by hostname
    which indicates name resolution is working. The NDMPSVRS.DAT file on the
    media server has the agent's server name, ip address, and serial number.
    There is not any firewall running on the Windows server nor the NetWare
    server and there are no port 10,000 conflicts. netstat -an on the Windows
    server shows that the beremote.exe application is listening on port 10,000.

    The debug logs on the remote agent show that the NetWare server contacts
    it but there is an error line which indicates

    ERROR: ndmpdConfigGetAuthAttr: invalid auth type: 2.

    in that log. The log then indicates the connection is closed.

    I have done some general searching on the problem but find very little information
    in the various search engines nor in the Symantec knowledgebases. I have
    contacted technical support and haven open case but they have not returned
    repeated calls nor responded via email.

    Has anyone encountered an issue like this?

  2. Re: RANT32 Error

    Problem has been solved. Tech support was finally able to help me after working
    for about an hour with me they determined that I should update both the media
    server and the remote agent to build 9.1.1158.9.

    "Bob" wrote:

    >I have a NetWare 6.5 SP5 media server server running BackupExec 9.1 build
    >1156 and have installed the included Remote Agent for Windows Servers from
    >that media server to a Windows 2003 server.
    >
    >The installation of the remote agent went without any problems, the service
    >is running, and the NetWare and Windows servers can ping each other by hostname
    >which indicates name resolution is working. The NDMPSVRS.DAT file on the
    >media server has the agent's server name, ip address, and serial number.
    > There is not any firewall running on the Windows server nor the NetWare
    >server and there are no port 10,000 conflicts. netstat -an on the Windows
    >server shows that the beremote.exe application is listening on port 10,000.
    >
    >The debug logs on the remote agent show that the NetWare server contacts
    >it but there is an error line which indicates
    >
    >ERROR: ndmpdConfigGetAuthAttr: invalid auth type: 2.
    >
    >in that log. The log then indicates the connection is closed.
    >
    >I have done some general searching on the problem but find very little information
    >in the various search engines nor in the Symantec knowledgebases. I have
    >contacted technical support and haven open case but they have not returned
    >repeated calls nor responded via email.
    >
    >Has anyone encountered an issue like this?

  3. Re: RANT32 Error

    bob:
    This rang a bell from the past, but was a problem due to multiple IP numbers
    on the BE Server. I did a google on ndmp and found tons of stuff, mostly
    irrevalent but I found my cure in Document ID: 275370. I added the -ZL to
    the Bestart and that corrected the problem. I am also wondering if you have
    SLp configured. What do you see when you typle SLP Info at the Netware console?

    "Bob" wrote:

    >I have a NetWare 6.5 SP5 media server server running BackupExec 9.1 build
    >1156 and have installed the included Remote Agent for Windows Servers from
    >that media server to a Windows 2003 server.
    >
    >The installation of the remote agent went without any problems, the service
    >is running, and the NetWare and Windows servers can ping each other by hostname
    >which indicates name resolution is working. The NDMPSVRS.DAT file on the
    >media server has the agent's server name, ip address, and serial number.
    > There is not any firewall running on the Windows server nor the NetWare
    >server and there are no port 10,000 conflicts. netstat -an on the Windows
    >server shows that the beremote.exe application is listening on port 10,000.
    >
    >The debug logs on the remote agent show that the NetWare server contacts
    >it but there is an error line which indicates
    >
    >ERROR: ndmpdConfigGetAuthAttr: invalid auth type: 2.
    >
    >in that log. The log then indicates the connection is closed.
    >
    >I have done some general searching on the problem but find very little information
    >in the various search engines nor in the Symantec knowledgebases. I have
    >contacted technical support and haven open case but they have not returned
    >repeated calls nor responded via email.
    >
    >Has anyone encountered an issue like this?

+ Reply to Thread