Intelligent Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Intelligent Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hey, We are running Netware 6.5 SP5 and our server is a Dell Poweredge 2800 server with 3GB of RAM. We are still deciding on whether to purchase Backup Exec Netware 9.2. I have a few questions in relation to ...

  1. Intelligent Disaster Recovery

    Hey,

    We are running Netware 6.5 SP5 and our server is a Dell Poweredge 2800 server
    with 3GB of RAM.

    We are still deciding on whether to purchase Backup Exec Netware 9.2. I
    have a few questions in relation to the Intelligent Disaster Recovery add-on
    for Backup Exec Netware 9.2.

    I understand that Intelligent Disaster Recovery requires only restoring to
    similar hardware and not differnet hardware.

    1) When you make a backup of the server (backing up the SYS volume, Users
    volume, Apps volume etc.) in case of a complete disaster, can you restore
    the entire backup without having to re-install the O/S etc.?

    2) We have three different RAID setups in our server. Volume SYS (NSS volume),
    Volume Users (Traditional Volume) and Volume Apps (Traditional Volume) are
    in a RAID1 setup (using two SCSI hard drives).

    Volume Images (Traditional Volume) and Volume Handins (Traditional Volume)
    are in different RAID1 setup (using two more hard drives).

    Volumes Yearbook (NSS Volume) is setup up as a RAID0 but is only using one
    hard drive because if only one hard drive is used even though it's not reall
    RAID0 you have to set it that way.

    So as above we have 5 SCSI hard drives in the server, where we have two RAID1
    setups and one RAID0 setup.

    I like to keep all the volumes on the same hard drives in the same RAID setup
    as mentioned above.

    Using Intelligent Disaster Recovery when I have to restore say from a complete
    disaster,will it know which SCSI hard drives (in the RAID setups mentioned
    above) to restore to or do I have to chose which hard drives manully to restore
    to?

    3) Does Intelligent Disaster Recovery and Backup Exec Netware 9.2 support
    NS volumes and Traditional Netware volumes?

    4) Using Intelligent Disaster Recovery do you have to do a full system backup
    of the server or can you just backup individual volumes?

    5) If using Intelligent Disaster Recovery you have to do a complete system
    backup, can you restore individual files and folders from this backup or
    do you have to do all full system restore?

    The reason I ask question 5 because often times only individual files and
    fodlers will need to be restored only in the case of a major disaster will
    a complete system backup need to be restored. Having to do a complete system
    restore all the time using Intelligent Disaster Recovery would be inconvienent
    if all you had to do was restore a few files or a folder.

    Thanks for your help on all of this! I don't have a tonne of time to do
    research, so this is why I appreciate the help on the above questions.

    Thanks again!

  2. Re: Intelligent Disaster Recovery

    Brad wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > We are running Netware 6.5 SP5 and our server is a Dell Poweredge
    > 2800 server with 3GB of RAM.
    >
    > We are still deciding on whether to purchase Backup Exec Netware 9.2.
    > I have a few questions in relation to the Intelligent Disaster
    > Recovery add-on for Backup Exec Netware 9.2.
    >
    > I understand that Intelligent Disaster Recovery requires only
    > restoring to similar hardware and not differnet hardware.

    Yes, that's correct.

    > 1) When you make a backup of the server (backing up the SYS volume,
    > Users volume, Apps volume etc.) in case of a complete disaster, can
    > you restore the entire backup without having to re-install the O/S
    > etc.?

    The idea of IDR is that it allows you to restore the 'bare bones' of
    the server quicker than restoring the OS from scratch. The IDR recovery
    will restore the partitions, OS and NDS related info. It will not
    recover all your data however - that needs to be restored from tape
    backup.

    > 2) We have three different RAID setups in our server. Volume SYS
    > (NSS volume), Volume Users (Traditional Volume) and Volume Apps
    > (Traditional Volume) are in a RAID1 setup (using two SCSI hard
    > drives).
    >
    > Volume Images (Traditional Volume) and Volume Handins (Traditional
    > Volume) are in different RAID1 setup (using two more hard drives).
    >
    > Volumes Yearbook (NSS Volume) is setup up as a RAID0 but is only
    > using one hard drive because if only one hard drive is used even
    > though it's not reall RAID0 you have to set it that way.
    >
    > So as above we have 5 SCSI hard drives in the server, where we have
    > two RAID1 setups and one RAID0 setup.
    >
    > I like to keep all the volumes on the same hard drives in the same
    > RAID setup as mentioned above.
    >
    > Using Intelligent Disaster Recovery when I have to restore say from a
    > complete disaster,will it know which SCSI hard drives (in the RAID
    > setups mentioned above) to restore to or do I have to chose which
    > hard drives manully to restore to?
    >
    > 3) Does Intelligent Disaster Recovery and Backup Exec Netware 9.2
    > support NS volumes and Traditional Netware volumes?

    If you mean NSS, then yes.

    > 4) Using Intelligent Disaster Recovery do you have to do a full
    > system backup of the server or can you just backup individual volumes?

    Again, you are misunderstanding what IDR does. It does NOT backup all
    of your data that is housed on your volumes. I'd recommend that you
    take a look at the admin guide - there is a section on IDR which should
    be able to answer most of your questions:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/278928

    > 5) If using Intelligent Disaster Recovery you have to do a complete
    > system backup, can you restore individual files and folders from this
    > backup or do you have to do all full system restore?

    No, you can't restore individual files because IDR does not back up
    'user data' on your volumes. It sounds like you are talking about
    normal restore jobs from tape which you do with the 'core' product -
    not IDR.