BE9.2 hangs or hogs - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9.2 hangs or hogs - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BE 9.2 rev 1401, on Netware 6 sp5. The machine is a Dell PowerEdge 2600, using LTO2 Ultrium drive and tapes. It first backs up the Netware server, then backs up a remote Windows 2000 Server. At ...

  1. BE9.2 hangs or hogs

    I am running BE 9.2 rev 1401, on Netware 6 sp5. The machine is a Dell
    PowerEdge 2600, using LTO2 Ultrium drive and tapes. It first backs up the
    Netware server, then backs up a remote Windows 2000 Server.

    At least once a week, and sometimes up to 3 times, the server seems to go
    into never-never land. The symptoms vary slightly, might be any one of the
    following:

    1) Netware server freezes altogether, and you can't change to any screen
    2) Netware server continues operating, but CPU usage is high, and the BE
    Administration Console won't respond. Anyone logged in already may or may
    not be able to do anything, but definitely noone can log in
    3) Same as above, but the BE Administration Console DOES respond - IF you
    have enough patience to wait for it

    The above three items may happen near the end of Netware's backup, or it
    may happen during the Win2K backup - after the Netware backup.

    Each time it happens, I have to down the server, and I have started doing a
    /poolrebuild and also dsrepair as soon as it's up again.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what to look for?

    Many thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: BE9.2 hangs or hogs

    No abends, just slowing to a crawl? This is most likely a NetWare
    issue, but BE is triggering the symptoms.

    First make sure you have all of the post-SP5 patches for NetWare,
    particularly the post-SP5 NSS patch and the updated TSAs.

    Also have a look at this:

    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/14445.html

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread