BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically - Veritas Backup Exec ; We're having an issue with BE for NetWare 9.1 on NetWare 6.5. We have the media server configured to delete catalogs older than 7 days. However it doesn't appear to be working. Catalogs will keep building up until the volume ...

  1. BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically

    We're having an issue with BE for NetWare 9.1 on NetWare 6.5. We have the
    media server configured to delete catalogs older than 7 days. However it
    doesn't appear to be working. Catalogs will keep building up until the volume
    they're stored on runs out of space. But all I have to do is use the Java
    GUI Admin console and connect to the server through it (not even go into
    any config items) and that will force BE on the server to delete any old
    catalogs at that point. But we don't connect to a lot of servers on a regular
    basis (everything's mostly automated) so we keep seeing servers every now
    and then that run of space on the volume. Any idea why the BE media server
    itself won't delete the old catalogs by itself?

  2. Re: BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically

    Cory Hug wrote:

    > We're having an issue with BE for NetWare 9.1 on NetWare 6.5. We
    > have the media server configured to delete catalogs older than 7
    > days. However it doesn't appear to be working. Catalogs will keep
    > building up until the volume they're stored on runs out of space.
    > But all I have to do is use the Java GUI Admin console and connect to
    > the server through it (not even go into any config items) and that
    > will force BE on the server to delete any old catalogs at that point.
    > But we don't connect to a lot of servers on a regular basis
    > (everything's mostly automated) so we keep seeing servers every now
    > and then that run of space on the volume. Any idea why the BE media
    > server itself won't delete the old catalogs by itself?

    What build of Backup Exec do you have? Check in
    sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details.

    Also, any anti-virus software running on these servers?

  3. Re: BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Cory Hug wrote:
    >

    >> We're having an issue with BE for NetWare 9.1 on NetWare 6.5. We
    >> have the media server configured to delete catalogs older than 7
    >> days. However it doesn't appear to be working. Catalogs will keep
    >> building up until the volume they're stored on runs out of space.
    >> But all I have to do is use the Java GUI Admin console and connect to
    >> the server through it (not even go into any config items) and that
    >> will force BE on the server to delete any old catalogs at that point.
    >> But we don't connect to a lot of servers on a regular basis
    >> (everything's mostly automated) so we keep seeing servers every now
    >> and then that run of space on the volume. Any idea why the BE media
    >> server itself won't delete the old catalogs by itself?

    >What build of Backup Exec do you have? Check in
    >sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details.
    >
    >Also, any anti-virus software running on these servers?

    Version 9.10 build 1158 (the latest build of version 9.1 last I knew).

    Yes, we are running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10 on these servers.

  4. Re: BENW 9.1 not deleting catalogs automatically

    Cory Hug wrote:

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > > Cory Hug wrote:
    > >

    > >> We're having an issue with BE for NetWare 9.1 on NetWare 6.5. We
    > >> have the media server configured to delete catalogs older than 7
    > >> days. However it doesn't appear to be working. Catalogs will keep
    > >> building up until the volume they're stored on runs out of space.
    > >> But all I have to do is use the Java GUI Admin console and connect

    > to >> the server through it (not even go into any config items) and
    > that >> will force BE on the server to delete any old catalogs at
    > that point. >> But we don't connect to a lot of servers on a regular
    > basis >> (everything's mostly automated) so we keep seeing servers
    > every now >> and then that run of space on the volume. Any idea why
    > the BE media >> server itself won't delete the old catalogs by itself?
    > >
    > > What build of Backup Exec do you have? Check in
    > > sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details.
    > >
    > > Also, any anti-virus software running on these servers?
    > >

    > Version 9.10 build 1158 (the latest build of version 9.1 last I knew).
    >
    > Yes, we are running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10 on these
    > servers.

    I suspect this could be the cause. Make sure you exclude the
    sys:\bkupexec folder AND catalog folder (if in a different location)
    from being scanned.

+ Reply to Thread