How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Iím practicing manual disaster recovery. Iíve installed a netware 6.5 server with SP6 and backup exec 9.2. I created two volumes, Sys: and vol1. Iíve run several successfull backup jobs and wanted to practice my disaster recovery. I fdsiked the ...

  1. How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume?

    Iím practicing manual disaster recovery.

    Iíve installed a netware 6.5 server with SP6 and backup exec 9.2.

    I created two volumes, Sys: and vol1.

    Iíve run several successfull backup jobs and wanted to practice my disaster
    recovery.

    I fdsiked the server. Reinstalled nw 6.5 and backup exec, cataloged the tape.
    And ran a restore.

    I can restore everything but several files on my sys volume that are in use
    and are not restored. When I do this and reboot many NLMís fail to load including
    backup exec.

    Pretty much a useless server.

    Suggestions on how to do this? Can it be done?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume?

    Let me add. On the restore(reinstall of OS), just loaded the bare bones on
    the novell server excluding SP 6 and just minimum services. My thought being,
    my restore would place everything back on the server(iprint, DNS, dhcp)

    Everything I read talks about installing the OS back to itís crash time.

    Any pointers out there?

  3. Re: How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume?

    GHelton wrote:

    > Let me add. On the restore(reinstall of OS), just loaded the bare
    > bones on the novell server excluding SP 6 and just minimum services.
    > My thought being, my restore would place everything back on the
    > server(iprint, DNS, dhcp)

    No, apps like this will extend the schema so they must be reinstalled
    as part of the OS reinstallation:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/189097

    --

  4. Re: How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume?

    >No, apps like this will extend the schema so they must be reinstalled
    >as part of the OS reinstallation:
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/189097

    So basically there is no restore from tape of the sys volume using backup
    exec. At least as in a disaster recovery mode. Reinstall all of the os, patches
    and loacal modifications and then restore data.

    Thanks.

  5. Re: How do I manually disaster recover Sys volume?

    GHelton wrote:

    > > No, apps like this will extend the schema so they must be
    > > reinstalled as part of the OS reinstallation:
    > >
    > > http://support.veritas.com/docs/189097

    > So basically there is no restore from tape of the sys volume using
    > backup exec. At least as in a disaster recovery mode. Reinstall all
    > of the os, patches and loacal modifications and then restore data.

    This is Novell's preferred way of recovering a server. If you are
    looking for a 'one step' way of recovering a server you may want to
    look at something like Portlock Storage Manager:

    http://www.portlock.com/products/storagemanager/

+ Reply to Thread