Anyone got tips for automating Inventory? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Anyone got tips for automating Inventory? - Veritas Backup Exec ; My main drive is to delagate tape swapping to a non-technical staff member. While it's still required to manually perform an inventory when tapes are changed in my library, someone must manually access the management console and perform the inventory ...

  1. Anyone got tips for automating Inventory?

    My main drive is to delagate tape swapping to a non-technical staff
    member. While it's still required to manually perform an inventory
    when tapes are changed in my library, someone must manually access the
    management console and perform the inventory task. Automating the
    inventory would allow me to schedule that task before backups begin.
    Has anyone developed a method for automating the inventory update?

    Thanks for any ideas, too.
    Scott S.

  2. Re: Anyone got tips for automating Inventory?

    Scott S wrote:

    > My main drive is to delagate tape swapping to a non-technical staff
    > member. While it's still required to manually perform an inventory
    > when tapes are changed in my library, someone must manually access the
    > management console and perform the inventory task. Automating the
    > inventory would allow me to schedule that task before backups begin.
    > Has anyone developed a method for automating the inventory update?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas, too.
    > Scott S.

    Well, you cannot do this within Backup Exec itself (but then you knew
    that already..).

    The only way that I can think of is to use StuffKey which allows you to
    pass keystrokes to Backup Exec (or any other app):

    http://support.novell.com/docs/Readm...t/2948742.html

    You can then use CRON to schedule this at specific times/dates:

    http://support.novell.com/docs/Readm...t/2939440.html

    I've not tried this myself but, in theory, this should work.

  3. Re: Anyone got tips for automating Inventory?

    Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try.

    On 7 Dec 2006 12:02:51 -0500, "Chris" wrote:

    >Scott S wrote:
    >
    >> My main drive is to delagate tape swapping to a non-technical staff
    >> member. While it's still required to manually perform an inventory
    >> when tapes are changed in my library, someone must manually access the
    >> management console and perform the inventory task. Automating the
    >> inventory would allow me to schedule that task before backups begin.
    >> Has anyone developed a method for automating the inventory update?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any ideas, too.
    >> Scott S.

    >Well, you cannot do this within Backup Exec itself (but then you knew
    >that already..).
    >
    >The only way that I can think of is to use StuffKey which allows you to
    >pass keystrokes to Backup Exec (or any other app):
    >
    >http://support.novell.com/docs/Readm...t/2948742.html
    >
    >You can then use CRON to schedule this at specific times/dates:
    >
    >http://support.novell.com/docs/Readm...t/2939440.html
    >
    >I've not tried this myself but, in theory, this should work.

+ Reply to Thread