File BLAH is corrupt on media? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on File BLAH is corrupt on media? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Not sure why BE is doing this, but on NetWare 6.5, when using OFA, I get a failure for the job and it claims that file XXXX (usually a log file like console.log or something) is "corrupt on media". I ...

  1. File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Not sure why BE is doing this, but on NetWare 6.5, when using OFA, I get
    a failure for the job and it claims that file XXXX (usually a log file
    like console.log or something) is "corrupt on media".

    I thought OFA was supposed to prevent this?

  2. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > Not sure why BE is doing this, but on NetWare 6.5, when using OFA, I
    > get a failure for the job and it claims that file XXXX (usually a log
    > file like console.log or something) is "corrupt on media".
    >
    > I thought OFA was supposed to prevent this?

    There are certain files that cannot be backed up by OFO. You can add
    these to the exclude list:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/269132

  3. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article <4577f7d4@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure why BE is doing this, but on NetWare 6.5, when using OFA, I
    > > get a failure for the job and it claims that file XXXX (usually a log
    > > file like console.log or something) is "corrupt on media".
    > >
    > > I thought OFA was supposed to prevent this?

    > There are certain files that cannot be backed up by OFO. You can add
    > these to the exclude list:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/269132

    Thank you. However, what's weird is that the list keeps changing. It's
    not the same files every time. They're .log files (I can understand
    console.log) but MS Access databases? .MDB files?

    It'll fail one night and work the next even though OFA "synchronizes"
    each time.

  4. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    If you don't have enough 'real' free space you can run into symptoms
    like this. So if you have a lot of space taken up by deleted files,
    and not much actual, real, free space, purge some of the deleted files.
    OFO won't recognize deleted file space as free space.

    -Barry.

  5. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > In article <4577f7d4@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > >
    > > > Not sure why BE is doing this, but on NetWare 6.5, when using
    > > > OFA, I get a failure for the job and it claims that file XXXX
    > > > (usually a log file like console.log or something) is "corrupt on
    > > > media".
    > > >
    > > > I thought OFA was supposed to prevent this?

    > > There are certain files that cannot be backed up by OFO. You can add
    > > these to the exclude list:
    > >
    > > http://support.veritas.com/docs/269132
    > >

    > Thank you. However, what's weird is that the list keeps changing.
    > It's not the same files every time. They're .log files (I can
    > understand console.log) but MS Access databases? .MDB files?
    >
    > It'll fail one night and work the next even though OFA "synchronizes"
    > each time.

    I agree with Barry's comments. Also, do you see any errors in
    sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.log?

  6. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article <457ebad2@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > > > There are certain files that cannot be backed up by OFO. You can add
    > > > these to the exclude list:
    > > >
    > > > http://support.veritas.com/docs/269132
    > > >

    > > Thank you. However, what's weird is that the list keeps changing.
    > > It's not the same files every time. They're .log files (I can
    > > understand console.log) but MS Access databases? .MDB files?
    > >
    > > It'll fail one night and work the next even though OFA "synchronizes"
    > > each time.

    > I agree with Barry's comments. Also, do you see any errors in
    > sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.log?

    I see this:

    22007 06 04 12:34:05 Pool BACKUP cache space exhausted while still
    expanding.

  7. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > In article <457ebad2@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <4577f7d4@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...

    > > > Thank you. However, what's weird is that the list keeps changing.
    > > > It's not the same files every time. They're .log files (I can
    > > > understand console.log) but MS Access databases? .MDB files?
    > > >
    > > > It'll fail one night and work the next even though OFA
    > > > "synchronizes" each time.

    > > I agree with Barry's comments. Also, do you see any errors in
    > > sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.log?
    > >

    > I see this:
    >
    > 22007 06 04 12:34:05 Pool BACKUP cache space exhausted while still
    > expanding.

    Take a look here:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/272361

  8. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article <46667ea6@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > > > I agree with Barry's comments. Also, do you see any errors in
    > > > sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.log?
    > > >

    > > I see this:
    > >
    > > 22007 06 04 12:34:05 Pool BACKUP cache space exhausted while still
    > > expanding.

    > Take a look here:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/272361

    Thanks. I adjusted the params, but they don't tell you how to NOT run
    OFA against a volume that you're not backing up.

    "Backup" is the volume that contains our B2D folders. We don't back
    that up, so no reason for OFA to synchronize it.

    Unfortunately after changing the parameters, I see this now:

    12007 06 05 22:32:42 Pool BACKUP does not have enough free space.
    Caching to pool VOL1.

    Funny, as Backup has 50 GB of free space on it (0 is salvageable, so
    it's REALLY free).

    Here's what I'd changed:

    [Device SYS]
    MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000200000
    CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x1e
    CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    Status = 0x79

    [Device VOL1]
    MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000100000 (as per the docs it says to change
    from 0x2000000 to 0x1000000, although it seems they're off by about a
    million zeroes).
    CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x30
    CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    Status = 0x79

    [Device BACKUP]
    MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000200000
    CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x1e
    CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    Status = 0x29 (I changed it to 0x29 as it was about the only thing
    "close" to disabling OFA for it).

    There's an undocumented (well, sort of) feature in the docs that says
    you can put an option of:

    VolDisableOFM in the [General] section of the ofmcdm.cfg file but
    Veritas/Symantec so thoughtfully leaves out what to put in after that.

  9. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > In article <46667ea6@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <457ebad2@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...

    > > > I see this:
    > > >
    > > > 22007 06 04 12:34:05 Pool BACKUP cache space exhausted while
    > > > still expanding.

    > > Take a look here:
    > >
    > > http://support.veritas.com/docs/272361
    > >

    > Thanks. I adjusted the params, but they don't tell you how to NOT
    > run OFA against a volume that you're not backing up.
    >
    > "Backup" is the volume that contains our B2D folders. We don't back
    > that up, so no reason for OFA to synchronize it.
    >
    > Unfortunately after changing the parameters, I see this now:
    >
    > 12007 06 05 22:32:42 Pool BACKUP does not have enough free space.
    > Caching to pool VOL1.

    This is to be expected. You'll always see this once you change the
    status for a pool to 0x29. It's nothing to worry about..

    > Funny, as Backup has 50 GB of free space on it (0 is salvageable, so
    > it's REALLY free).
    >
    > Here's what I'd changed:
    >
    > [Device SYS]
    > MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    > InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000200000
    > CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x1e
    > CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    > Status = 0x79
    >
    > [Device VOL1]
    > MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    > InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000100000 (as per the docs it says to
    > change from 0x2000000 to 0x1000000, although it seems they're off by
    > about a million zeroes).
    > CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x30
    > CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    > Status = 0x79
    >
    > [Device BACKUP]
    > MinFreeSpace = 0x0000000000400000
    > InitialCacheSize = 0x0000000000200000
    > CacheSizeExpandThreshold = 0x1e
    > CacheSizeFailThreshold = 0x5
    > Status = 0x29 (I changed it to 0x29 as it was about the only thing
    > "close" to disabling OFA for it).
    >
    > There's an undocumented (well, sort of) feature in the docs that says
    > you can put an option of:
    >
    > VolDisableOFM in the [General] section of the ofmcdm.cfg file but
    > Veritas/Symantec so thoughtfully leaves out what to put in after that.

    You should be able to use the [GROUP] section in
    sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.cfg to do this. However, I've tried it and - so
    far - have not been able to get it to work. More info here:

    http://www.stbernard.com/products/ma...ation_files.ht

  10. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article , Kevin
    Hurni wrote:
    > Thanks. I adjusted the params, but they don't tell you how to NOT run
    > OFA against a volume that you're not backing up.

    I have a copy of St.Bernard OFM for a Windows Server, and the control
    utility let's me tweak my NetWare OFM installs, eventhough they are the
    ones I got with BE.

    Maybe get a trial version from http://www.stbernard.com and use the
    control util to tweak yours. Make a copy of the CFG file first, then
    tweak. Then compare before and after and see what changed. You can
    probably figure out what to do from there.

    -Barry.

  11. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > In article , Kevin
    > Hurni wrote:
    > > Thanks. I adjusted the params, but they don't tell you how to NOT run
    > > OFA against a volume that you're not backing up.
    > >

    > I have a copy of St.Bernard OFM for a Windows Server, and the control
    > utility let's me tweak my NetWare OFM installs, eventhough they are the
    > ones I got with BE.
    >
    > Maybe get a trial version from http://www.stbernard.com and use the
    > control util to tweak yours. Make a copy of the CFG file first, then
    > tweak. Then compare before and after and see what changed. You can
    > probably figure out what to do from there.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Cool thanks.

    One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in use
    (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).

    So is this just another Backupexec "feature" or OFA problem?

    It wouldn't be so bad if I could duplicate to tape, but any file it
    "skips", it fails the entire job, so the dupe to tape doesn't work
    either.

    Ironically, the Enterprise product (Net Backup) has a "partial success"
    that allows you to duplicate to tape (ie, some files it skipped because
    they were in use).

    sigh.

    I think when Novell comes out with OES 2 we'll be dumping BackupExec and
    switch to Arkeia

  12. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > In article ,
    > bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > > In article ,
    > > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > > > Thanks. I adjusted the params, but they don't tell you how to
    > > > NOT run OFA against a volume that you're not backing up.
    > > >

    > > I have a copy of St.Bernard OFM for a Windows Server, and the
    > > control utility let's me tweak my NetWare OFM installs, eventhough
    > > they are the ones I got with BE.
    > >
    > > Maybe get a trial version from http://www.stbernard.com and use the
    > > control util to tweak yours. Make a copy of the CFG file first,
    > > then tweak. Then compare before and after and see what changed.
    > > You can probably figure out what to do from there.
    > >
    > > -Barry.
    > >

    > Cool thanks.
    >
    > One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    > corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in
    > use (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).
    >
    > So is this just another Backupexec "feature" or OFA problem?

    Difficult to say from here...

    You'd probably need to enable full debugging to figure out why it's
    being reported as corrupt. Could well be an issue with TSAFS rather
    than BE or OFO.

    --

  13. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article , Kevin
    Hurni wrote:
    > One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    > corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in use
    > (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).

    This can be caused by lack of sufficient free space on the volume. But
    since this file is rather static, try copying it to a different location,
    then back again. Then let's see if the error persists.

    I do recall having a lot of these errors with a particular build of TSA.
    The latest has been working pretty well for me so far.

    Oh, and check your OFM logs. Maybe there's a clue in there. If not,
    turn on full OFM debug.

    -Barry.

  14. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > In article , Kevin
    > Hurni wrote:
    > > One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    > > corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in use
    > > (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).

    > This can be caused by lack of sufficient free space on the volume. But
    > since this file is rather static, try copying it to a different location,
    > then back again. Then let's see if the error persists.
    >
    > I do recall having a lot of these errors with a particular build of TSA.
    > The latest has been working pretty well for me so far.
    >
    > Oh, and check your OFM logs. Maybe there's a clue in there. If not,
    > turn on full OFM debug.
    >
    > -Barry.

    I will try the "copying" the files around.

    Othewise, I'll enable the debug logs.

    Thanks!

  15. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article <466fc311@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > > > >

    > > > I have a copy of St.Bernard OFM for a Windows Server, and the
    > > > control utility let's me tweak my NetWare OFM installs, eventhough
    > > > they are the ones I got with BE.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe get a trial version from http://www.stbernard.com and use the
    > > > control util to tweak yours. Make a copy of the CFG file first,
    > > > then tweak. Then compare before and after and see what changed.
    > > > You can probably figure out what to do from there.
    > > >
    > > > -Barry.
    > > >

    > > Cool thanks.
    > >
    > > One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    > > corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in
    > > use (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).
    > >
    > > So is this just another Backupexec "feature" or OFA problem?

    > Difficult to say from here...
    >
    > You'd probably need to enable full debugging to figure out why it's
    > being reported as corrupt. Could well be an issue with TSAFS rather
    > than BE or OFO.

    I'm going to apply tsa5up21 to see if that helps any.

    NW 6.5 SP6 with the post patches.

    > > It wouldn't be so bad if I could duplicate to tape, but any file it
    > > "skips", it fails the entire job, so the dupe to tape doesn't work
    > > either.
    > >
    > > Ironically, the Enterprise product (Net Backup) has a "partial
    > > success" that allows you to duplicate to tape (ie, some files it
    > > skipped because they were in use).
    > >
    > > sigh.
    > >
    > > I think when Novell comes out with OES 2 we'll be dumping BackupExec

  16. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    In article ,
    bstjohn@aDOaNOTfBUGpME.org says...
    > In article , Kevin
    > Hurni wrote:
    > > One thing I've noticed, is that there's sometimes a file it claims is
    > > corrupt and I know for a fact that NOTHING has the file open or in use
    > > (it's a .ISO file that nobody ever uses).

    > This can be caused by lack of sufficient free space on the volume. But
    > since this file is rather static, try copying it to a different location,
    > then back again. Then let's see if the error persists.
    >
    > I do recall having a lot of these errors with a particular build of TSA.
    > The latest has been working pretty well for me so far.
    >
    > Oh, and check your OFM logs. Maybe there's a clue in there. If not,
    > turn on full OFM debug.
    >
    > -Barry.

    Well, got it working. Updated to TSA5up21--no change.

    "copied/deleted" the file. No change.

    I downloaded the trial of OFM config manager and told it to not cache
    the "backup to disk" volume.

    Voila!

    Fixed it.

    WHY can't Veritas/Symantec put the simple code on their website or docs
    as to what setting to change to not OFA certain volumes? Oh well, at
    least it's fixed (for that part now).

  17. Re: File BLAH is corrupt on media?

    Cool! Glad you got it working.

    -Barry.