wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, we use BE 9.1 1158.7 on NW65SP5. We have an autoloader which can be filled with 7 normal backup tapes and 1 cleaning tape. A normal automatic backup in the night requires 3 tapes. If I fill the autoloader ...

  1. wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader

    Hi,

    we use BE 9.1 1158.7 on NW65SP5.

    We have an autoloader which can be filled with
    7 normal backup tapes and 1 cleaning tape.

    A normal automatic backup in the night requires 3 tapes.

    If I fill the autoloader with 7 new tapes,
    make an inventory and then execute a backup
    in the night, it is not predictable, which
    tapes BE uses. May be 2,3,4 or 5,6,7 ??

    Normally would be 1,2,3 !

    What can I do that BE takes the first free 3 tapes
    in the autoloader?

    Thanks
    Bernhard

  2. Re: wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader

    Bernhard Muehlbauer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > we use BE 9.1 1158.7 on NW65SP5.
    >
    > We have an autoloader which can be filled with
    > 7 normal backup tapes and 1 cleaning tape.
    >
    > A normal automatic backup in the night requires 3 tapes.
    >
    > If I fill the autoloader with 7 new tapes,
    > make an inventory and then execute a backup
    > in the night, it is not predictable, which
    > tapes BE uses. May be 2,3,4 or 5,6,7 ??
    >
    > Normally would be 1,2,3 !
    >
    > What can I do that BE takes the first free 3 tapes
    > in the autoloader?

    The only way to do that is to use partition management mode:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/250488

    You can then create a partition for only slots 1, 2 and 3. You then
    target the job at that partition - this ensures that only those 3 slots
    will be used for this particular job.

  3. Re: wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader

    It work's great! Thanks a lot!

    Chris schrieb:
    > Bernhard Muehlbauer wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> we use BE 9.1 1158.7 on NW65SP5.
    >>
    >> We have an autoloader which can be filled with
    >> 7 normal backup tapes and 1 cleaning tape.
    >>
    >> A normal automatic backup in the night requires 3 tapes.
    >>
    >> If I fill the autoloader with 7 new tapes,
    >> make an inventory and then execute a backup
    >> in the night, it is not predictable, which
    >> tapes BE uses. May be 2,3,4 or 5,6,7 ??
    >>
    >> Normally would be 1,2,3 !
    >>
    >> What can I do that BE takes the first free 3 tapes
    >> in the autoloader?

    > The only way to do that is to use partition management mode:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/250488
    >
    > You can then create a partition for only slots 1, 2 and 3. You then
    > target the job at that partition - this ensures that only those 3 slots
    > will be used for this particular job.

  4. Re: wrong sequence of tapes in an autoloader

    Bernhard Muehlbauer wrote:

    > It work's great! Thanks a lot!

    No problem - happy to help!

+ Reply to Thread