BE 9.1.1158.9 and agents - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.1.1158.9 and agents - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I have been running BE 9.1 for awhile and haven't had any problems until recently. I don't seem to be able to backup Win XP machines. This used to work and then one day it just stopped working. I ...

  1. BE 9.1.1158.9 and agents

    Hello,
    I have been running BE 9.1 for awhile and haven't had any problems until
    recently. I don't seem to be able to backup Win XP machines. This used
    to work and then one day it just stopped working. I checked to firewall
    on the Win XPs and it isn't running. I can't get the media server to connect
    to the workstation. The media server asks for a password and I type it in
    and it says the password is incorrect, but I know it is the correct password.
    My other problem is I got a new PC and installed SUSE 10.1 and the unix
    agent I had on my old machine, Fedora 3, won't install in my SUSE. Do I
    need to upgrade my BE or can someone point me to agents for Win XP and SUSE
    10.1 for BE 9.1?

  2. Re: BE 9.1.1158.9 and agents

    David Seuferer wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have been running BE 9.1 for awhile and haven't had any
    > problems until recently. I don't seem to be able to backup Win XP
    > machines. This used to work and then one day it just stopped
    > working. I checked to firewall on the Win XPs and it isn't running.
    > I can't get the media server to connect to the workstation. The
    > media server asks for a password and I type it in and it says the
    > password is incorrect, but I know it is the correct password. My
    > other problem is I got a new PC and installed SUSE 10.1 and the unix
    > agent I had on my old machine, Fedora 3, won't install in my SUSE.
    > Do I need to upgrade my BE or can someone point me to agents for Win
    > XP and SUSE 10.1 for BE 9.1?

    Regarding the problem backing up your Win XP machine - have you checked
    that name resolution is working in both directions? You may need to
    rename the password files:

    1. BESTOP
    2. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.*
    3. BESTART

    Bear in mind that this process will mean that you will have to re-enter
    the user names and passwords for each device/server that you are
    backing up.

    As for SUSE 10.1 - I suspect that you will need to use the newer RALUS
    agent which comes with BE 9.2. Probably best to try and eval first to
    make sure that it installs ok. If it does, you'll need to upgrade to BE
    9.2.

    Hope that helps.

  3. Re: BE 9.1.1158.9 and agents

    "Chris" wrote:
    >David Seuferer wrote:
    >

    >> Hello,
    >> I have been running BE 9.1 for awhile and haven't had any
    >> problems until recently. I don't seem to be able to backup Win XP
    >> machines. This used to work and then one day it just stopped
    >> working. I checked to firewall on the Win XPs and it isn't running.
    >> I can't get the media server to connect to the workstation. The
    >> media server asks for a password and I type it in and it says the
    >> password is incorrect, but I know it is the correct password. My
    >> other problem is I got a new PC and installed SUSE 10.1 and the unix
    >> agent I had on my old machine, Fedora 3, won't install in my SUSE.
    >> Do I need to upgrade my BE or can someone point me to agents for Win
    >> XP and SUSE 10.1 for BE 9.1?

    >Regarding the problem backing up your Win XP machine - have you checked
    >that name resolution is working in both directions? You may need to
    >rename the password files:
    >
    >1. BESTOP
    >2. Rename sys:\bkupexec\jobdata\userpass.*
    >3. BESTART
    >
    >Bear in mind that this process will mean that you will have to re-enter
    >the user names and passwords for each device/server that you are
    >backing up.
    >
    >As for SUSE 10.1 - I suspect that you will need to use the newer RALUS
    >agent which comes with BE 9.2. Probably best to try and eval first to
    >make sure that it installs ok. If it does, you'll need to upgrade to BE
    >9.2.
    >
    >Hope that helps.

    Thanks for the info!!

+ Reply to Thread