NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Since upgrading from SP3 to SP5 on our Netware 6.5 server the server immediately reboots when I run BESTART. There's no abend.log. If I run SP5 but select not to upgrade hardware drivers it runs fine. I've upgraded then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install

  1. NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install


    Hi,

    Since upgrading from SP3 to SP5 on our Netware 6.5 server the server immediately
    reboots when I run BESTART. There's no abend.log.

    If I run SP5 but select not to upgrade hardware drivers it runs fine. I've
    upgraded then backrevved the drivers mentioned in my startup.ncf (cpqshd,
    cpqarray, ideata.ham etc etc) to SP3, but the reboot still happens.

    I was on Backupexec 9.1 1156, I've upgraded to 1158.4 - no difference. Server
    is Compaq/HP Proliant DL360.

    Some kind of hardware driver clash, but how do I identify which drivers?


    Thanks,



    Steve Law

  2. Re: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install

    Steve Law wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Since upgrading from SP3 to SP5 on our Netware 6.5 server the server
    > immediately reboots when I run BESTART. There's no abend.log.
    >
    > If I run SP5 but select not to upgrade hardware drivers it runs fine.
    > I've upgraded then backrevved the drivers mentioned in my startup.ncf
    > (cpqshd, cpqarray, ideata.ham etc etc) to SP3, but the reboot still
    > happens.
    >
    > I was on Backupexec 9.1 1156, I've upgraded to 1158.4 - no
    > difference. Server is Compaq/HP Proliant DL360.
    >
    > Some kind of hardware driver clash, but how do I identify which
    > drivers?
    >
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >
    >
    > Steve Law



    Is ASR enabled in the BIOS? If so, disable this as it should then write
    to the abend log.

    Chris


  3. Re: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install


    Hi,

    I enabled ASR, but it still reboots. However a colleague says it did this
    someties before SP5 was installed (although I've never seen it and it's much
    worse with the SP5 hardware drivers). But I'm guessing there's an underlying
    hardwate issue.

    Thanks for your help anyway.


    "Chris" wrote:
    >Steve Law wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Since upgrading from SP3 to SP5 on our Netware 6.5 server the server
    >> immediately reboots when I run BESTART. There's no abend.log.
    >>
    >> If I run SP5 but select not to upgrade hardware drivers it runs fine.
    >> I've upgraded then backrevved the drivers mentioned in my startup.ncf
    >> (cpqshd, cpqarray, ideata.ham etc etc) to SP3, but the reboot still
    >> happens.
    >>
    >> I was on Backupexec 9.1 1156, I've upgraded to 1158.4 - no
    >> difference. Server is Compaq/HP Proliant DL360.
    >>
    >> Some kind of hardware driver clash, but how do I identify which
    >> drivers?
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Steve Law

    >
    >
    >Is ASR enabled in the BIOS? If so, disable this as it should then write
    >to the abend log.
    >
    >Chris
    >



  4. Re: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install

    Steve Law wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I enabled ASR, but it still reboots. However a colleague says it did
    > this someties before SP5 was installed (although I've never seen it
    > and it's much worse with the SP5 hardware drivers). But I'm guessing
    > there's an underlying hardwate issue.
    >
    > Thanks for your help anyway.


    Don't you mean disabled ASR? Is it still not writing to the abend log
    then? Do you have the HP Integrated Managment Log Viewer running? If
    so, maybe there is an entry in there that might give you a clue as to
    what's causing this.

    It does sound like a hardware issue if it was happening before SP5 was
    installed..


  5. Re: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install


    "Chris" wrote:
    >Steve Law wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I enabled ASR, but it still reboots. However a colleague says it did
    >> this someties before SP5 was installed (although I've never seen it
    >> and it's much worse with the SP5 hardware drivers). But I'm guessing
    >> there's an underlying hardwate issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help anyway.

    >
    >Don't you mean disabled ASR? Is it still not writing to the abend log
    >then? Do you have the HP Integrated Managment Log Viewer running? If
    >so, maybe there is an entry in there that might give you a clue as to
    >what's causing this.
    >
    >It does sound like a hardware issue if it was happening before SP5 was
    >installed..
    >



    Sorry, I did mean I DISABLED ASR.
    The reboot is instant, nothing appears in the abend.log.
    I don't know about the HP Log Viewer thing, I'll try to enable it and see
    if there's anything useful.




  6. Re: NW6.5 reboots when Backupexec loads after SP5 install

    Steve Law wrote:

    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    > > Steve Law wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I enabled ASR, but it still reboots. However a colleague says it

    > did >> this someties before SP5 was installed (although I've never
    > seen it >> and it's much worse with the SP5 hardware drivers). But
    > I'm guessing >> there's an underlying hardwate issue.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help anyway.

    > >
    > > Don't you mean disabled ASR? Is it still not writing to the abend
    > > log then? Do you have the HP Integrated Managment Log Viewer
    > > running? If so, maybe there is an entry in there that might give
    > > you a clue as to what's causing this.
    > >
    > > It does sound like a hardware issue if it was happening before SP5
    > > was installed..
    > >

    >
    >
    > Sorry, I did mean I DISABLED ASR.
    > The reboot is instant, nothing appears in the abend.log.
    > I don't know about the HP Log Viewer thing, I'll try to enable it and
    > see if there's anything useful.


    FYI: You can get it here:

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24553.html


+ Reply to Thread