Backup Exec 9.2 for Netware hangs on open file - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 9.2 for Netware hangs on open file - Veritas Backup Exec ; I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 9.2 and there open file option. The issue appears to be with the open file manager (OFM) add on to the BackupExec 9.1. We successfully upgraded the backup exec s/w to ...

  1. Backup Exec 9.2 for Netware hangs on open file

    I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 9.2 and there open file option.

    The issue appears to be with the open file manager (OFM) add on to the
    BackupExec 9.1. We

    successfully upgraded the backup exec s/w to 9.2, but the backups still

    hang if we enable the open file manager in the "policy" we use for the

    backup. If the open file manager is not enabled in the policy and we

    just skip over open files, the backups work fine.

    I've been working with a pretty good tech from Veritas support and he

    suspects that the reason the backup hangs is because BE-OFM requires a

    couple of seconds of "quiet time" to create a snapshot image of the

    volume it's about to back up and there is something running on the

    system that doesn't give any "quiet time", hence the OFM process sits

    there waiting forever and we end up having to reboot the server to clear

    the problem and unlock the tape drive.

    Any idea's where I can look at this issue.

  2. Re: Backup Exec 9.2 for Netware hangs on open file

    John wrote:

    > I seem to have a problem with Backup Exec 9.2 and there open file
    > option.
    >
    > The issue appears to be with the open file manager (OFM) add on to
    > the BackupExec 9.1. We
    >
    > successfully upgraded the backup exec s/w to 9.2, but the backups
    > still
    >
    > hang if we enable the open file manager in the "policy" we use for the
    >
    > backup. If the open file manager is not enabled in the policy and we
    >
    > just skip over open files, the backups work fine.
    >
    > I've been working with a pretty good tech from Veritas support and he
    >
    > suspects that the reason the backup hangs is because BE-OFM requires a
    >
    > couple of seconds of "quiet time" to create a snapshot image of the
    >
    > volume it's about to back up and there is something running on the
    >
    > system that doesn't give any "quiet time", hence the OFM process sits
    >
    > there waiting forever and we end up having to reboot the server to
    > clear
    >
    > the problem and unlock the tape drive.
    >
    > Any idea's where I can look at this issue.

    I doubt that it's got anything to do with the 'quiet time' needed - if
    OFM can't find any quiet time it should just time out and fail the
    sync. The backup should then continue without OFM, it should not hang
    forever...

    Do you have any anti-virus software running on this server? If so, try
    unloading this to see if it helps. Also, some or all of your volumes
    may need to be purged - check the purgeable stats to see if this is the
    case or not. Finally, post back here with the contents of
    sys:\system\ofm\ofmnw.log as there may be some useful errors in there.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread