Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a situation where an incremental backup on a remote Netware server is skipping files with their archive bit set. On one occasion, the archive bits of the files were not reset after the backup, and they were not ...

  1. Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    I have a situation where an incremental backup on a remote Netware server
    is skipping files with their archive bit set. On one occasion, the archive
    bits of the files were not reset after the backup, and they were not backed
    up. On another occasion, the archive bits on the files were reset, but those
    files were still not backed up.

    Looking at the Netware file properties for said files, the “Last Archive”
    field shows “Never Archived.”

    The puzzling thing is, there is data that is getting backed up during these
    incremental backups for this server. So far, I have only been able to verify
    that one directory’s files are not getting backed up during the incremental
    backup, but I believe it has to be occurring in others as well.

    One other puzzling item, a text file I created in said directory was backed
    up. All other files, that were in the same directory that had their archive
    bit set, were not backed up. Their archive bits were reset after the backup
    was complete.

    The open file options are set to “skip open files”. There were no messages
    in the log pertaining to open files for the directory in question, but there
    were open files that were skipped for other directories.

    As a test, a restore of the directory from the previous night’s incremental
    backup was restored to a different location. Only the text file was restored.

    For the directory in question, the files are being backed up during a full
    backup.
    Since full backups are occurring, it does not appear to be a Netware rights
    issue, since the same user, job, and policy are being used. The policy being
    used is a weekly policy, Full on Monday, Incremental the rest of the week.

    The server in question is a Netware 6.5 SP5 box, with a Backup Exec 9.1 1156
    remote agent installed. The volumes are NSS volumes.

    The media server is also a Netware 6.5 SP5 box, with Backup Exec 9.1 build
    1156.
    The media being used are Backup to Disk virtual media.

    I am aware of a Netware NSS issue regarding archive bits being reset, but
    it pertains to DOS apps and the volumes being un-mounted and then re-mounted.
    This is something that is not occurring at my location. The files in question
    are AutoCAD DWG and BAK files, and the server hosting the files has not been
    restarted since I discovered the problem.

    I see there is a newer build available, 1158.9. I plan to install this soon,
    just to see if anything changes. Also investigating whether this is occurring
    for other directories, slow going as there are thousands.

    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    Corey wrote:

    > I have a situation where an incremental backup on a remote Netware
    > server is skipping files with their archive bit set. On one
    > occasion, the archive bits of the files were not reset after the
    > backup, and they were not backed up. On another occasion, the archive
    > bits on the files were reset, but those files were still not backed
    > up.
    >
    > Looking at the Netware file properties for said files, the Last
    > Archive field shows Never Archived.
    >
    > The puzzling thing is, there is data that is getting backed up during
    > these incremental backups for this server. So far, I have only been
    > able to verify that one directorys files are not getting backed up
    > during the incremental backup, but I believe it has to be occurring
    > in others as well.
    >
    > One other puzzling item, a text file I created in said directory was
    > backed up. All other files, that were in the same directory that had
    > their archive bit set, were not backed up. Their archive bits were
    > reset after the backup was complete.
    >
    > The open file options are set to skip open files. There were no
    > messages in the log pertaining to open files for the directory in
    > question, but there were open files that were skipped for other
    > directories.
    >
    > As a test, a restore of the directory from the previous nights
    > incremental backup was restored to a different location. Only the
    > text file was restored.
    >
    > For the directory in question, the files are being backed up during a
    > full backup.
    > Since full backups are occurring, it does not appear to be a Netware
    > rights issue, since the same user, job, and policy are being used.
    > The policy being used is a weekly policy, Full on Monday, Incremental
    > the rest of the week.
    >
    > The server in question is a Netware 6.5 SP5 box, with a Backup Exec
    > 9.1 1156 remote agent installed. The volumes are NSS volumes.
    >
    > The media server is also a Netware 6.5 SP5 box, with Backup Exec 9.1
    > build 1156.
    > The media being used are Backup to Disk virtual media.
    >
    > I am aware of a Netware NSS issue regarding archive bits being reset,
    > but it pertains to DOS apps and the volumes being un-mounted and then
    > re-mounted. This is something that is not occurring at my location.
    > The files in question are AutoCAD DWG and BAK files, and the server
    > hosting the files has not been restarted since I discovered the
    > problem.
    >
    > I see there is a newer build available, 1158.9. I plan to install
    > this soon, just to see if anything changes. Also investigating
    > whether this is occurring for other directories, slow going as there
    > are thousands.
    >
    > Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    I suspect this is the issue you are facing:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/281518

    Whilst the build update is worth doing (fixes other bugs etc) I dont
    think it will resolve this problem. SP6 should do though when it is
    released.

  3. Re: Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    "Chris" wrote:
> [...]

    >> I am aware of a Netware NSS issue regarding archive bits being reset,
    >> but it pertains to DOS apps and the volumes being un-mounted and then
    >> re-mounted. This is something that is not occurring at my location.
    >> The files in question are AutoCAD DWG and BAK files, and the server
    >> hosting the files has not been restarted since I discovered the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I see there is a newer build available, 1158.9. I plan to install
    >> this soon, just to see if anything changes. Also investigating
    >> whether this is occurring for other directories, slow going as there
    >> are thousands.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    >I suspect this is the issue you are facing:
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/281518
    >
    >Whilst the build update is worth doing (fixes other bugs etc) I dont
    >think it will resolve this problem. SP6 should do though when it is

    As I stated before, I am aware of this issue, but it's circumstances do not
    match
    the behavior I am seeing. The reasons I do not believe the issue pertains
    to my situation is:
    1) The application is not a DOS based application
    2) The volumes are not being un-mounted and re-mounted
    3) The server is not being restarted.

    Further observation seems to indicate that the problem occurs only with Autocad
    files.
    The issue regarding the setting of the archive bit appears to be a AutoCad
    / Netware issue, for sure.

    What I do not understand though, is why files that were confimred to have
    their
    archive bit set before the backup, had their archive bit removed during the
    incremental backup, but were not backed up?

  4. Re: Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    Corey wrote:

> [...]

    > > released.
    > >

    > As I stated before, I am aware of this issue, but it's circumstances
    > do not match
    > the behavior I am seeing. The reasons I do not believe the issue
    > pertains to my situation is:
    > 1) The application is not a DOS based application
    > 2) The volumes are not being un-mounted and re-mounted
    > 3) The server is not being restarted.
    >
    > Further observation seems to indicate that the problem occurs only
    > with Autocad files.
    > The issue regarding the setting of the archive bit appears to be a
    > AutoCad / Netware issue, for sure.
    >
    > What I do not understand though, is why files that were confimred to
    > have their
    > archive bit set before the backup, had their archive bit removed
    > during the incremental backup, but were not backed up?

    Do you have any anti-virus software running on these servers? Certain
    anti-virus apps have been known to cause issues like these in the past.

  5. Re: Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Corey wrote:

    >> archive >> bits on the files were reset, but those files were still
    >> not backed >> up.

    >> during >> these incremental backups for this server. So far, I have
    >> only been >> able to verify that one directorys files are not
    >> getting backed up >> during the incremental backup, but I believe it
    >> has to be occurring >> in others as well.

    >> was >> backed up. All other files, that were in the same directory
    >> that had >> their archive bit set, were not backed up. Their archive
    >> bits were >> reset after the backup was complete.

    >> during a >> full backup.

    >> Netware >> rights issue, since the same user, job, and policy are
    >> being used. >> The policy being used is a weekly policy, Full on
    >> Monday, Incremental >> the rest of the week.

    >> 9.1 >> build 1156.

    >> reset, >> but it pertains to DOS apps and the volumes being
    >> un-mounted and then >> re-mounted. This is something that is not
    >> occurring at my location. >> The files in question are AutoCAD DWG
    >> and BAK files, and the server >> hosting the files has not been
    >> restarted since I discovered the >> problem.

    >> there >> are thousands.

    >> > I suspect this is the issue you are facing:
    >> >
    >> > http://support.veritas.com/docs/281518
    >> >
    >> > Whilst the build update is worth doing (fixes other bugs etc) I dont
    >> > think it will resolve this problem. SP6 should do though when it is
    >> > released.
    >> >

    >> As I stated before, I am aware of this issue, but it's circumstances
    >> do not match
    >> the behavior I am seeing. The reasons I do not believe the issue
    >> pertains to my situation is:
    >> 1) The application is not a DOS based application
    >> 2) The volumes are not being un-mounted and re-mounted
    >> 3) The server is not being restarted.
    >>
    >> Further observation seems to indicate that the problem occurs only
    >> with Autocad files.
    >> The issue regarding the setting of the archive bit appears to be a
    >> AutoCad / Netware issue, for sure.
    >>
    >> What I do not understand though, is why files that were confimred to
    >> have their
    >> archive bit set before the backup, had their archive bit removed
    >> during the incremental backup, but were not backed up?

    >Do you have any anti-virus software running on these servers? Certain
    >anti-virus apps have been known to cause issues like these in the past.

    No anti virus software running on server.

  6. Re: Incremental backup skipping files but reseting archive bit

    Corey wrote:

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > > Corey wrote:

    > Netware >> >> server is skipping files with their archive bit set.
    > On one >> >>>> occasion, the archive bits of the files were not reset
    > after the >> >> backup, and they were not backed up. On another
    > occasion, the >> archive >> bits on the files were reset, but those
    > files were still >> not backed >> up.

    > >> during >> these incremental backups for this server. So far, I

    > have >> only been >> able to verify that one directorys files are not
    > >> getting backed up >> during the incremental backup, but I believe

    > it >> has to be occurring >> in others as well.

    > >> was >> backed up. All other files, that were in the same directory
    > >> that had >> their archive bit set, were not backed up. Their

    > archive >> bits were >> reset after the backup was complete.

    > no >> >> messages in the log pertaining to open files for the
    > directory in >> >> question, but there were open files that were
    > skipped for other >> >> directories.

    > the >> >> text file was restored.

    > >> during a >> full backup.
    > >> Netware >> rights issue, since the same user, job, and policy are
    > >> being used. >> The policy being used is a weekly policy, Full on
    > >> Monday, Incremental >> the rest of the week.

    > Exec >> >> 9.1 1156 remote agent installed. The volumes are NSS
    > volumes. >> >>
    > >> 9.1 >> build 1156.

    > >> reset, >> but it pertains to DOS apps and the volumes being
    > >> un-mounted and then >> re-mounted. This is something that is not
    > >> occurring at my location. >> The files in question are AutoCAD DWG
    > >> and BAK files, and the server >> hosting the files has not been
    > >> restarted since I discovered the >> problem.

    > install >> >> this soon, just to see if anything changes. Also
    > investigating >> >> whether this is occurring for other directories,
    > slow going as >> there >> are thousands.

    > dont >> > think it will resolve this problem. SP6 should do though
    > when it is >> > released.
    > >> >

    > >> As I stated before, I am aware of this issue, but it's

    > circumstances >> do not match
    > >> the behavior I am seeing. The reasons I do not believe the issue
    > >> pertains to my situation is:
    > >> 1) The application is not a DOS based application
    > >> 2) The volumes are not being un-mounted and re-mounted
    > >> 3) The server is not being restarted.
    > >>
    > >> Further observation seems to indicate that the problem occurs only
    > >> with Autocad files.
    > >> The issue regarding the setting of the archive bit appears to be a
    > >> AutoCad / Netware issue, for sure.
    > >>
    > >> What I do not understand though, is why files that were confimred

    > to >> have their
    > >> archive bit set before the backup, had their archive bit removed
    > >> during the incremental backup, but were not backed up?

    > > Do you have any anti-virus software running on these servers?
    > > Certain anti-virus apps have been known to cause issues like these
    > > in the past.
    > >

    > No anti virus software running on server.

    Have you tried a backup using SBCON? This would 'prove' if the issue is
    with NetWare or Backup Exec. If NetWare is the culprit, you would be
    better off posting this query in the following forum:

    novell.support.netware.6x.server-backup

+ Reply to Thread