What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a customer thats backing up a Windows 2000 server from their Netware 6 server running Backup Exec 9. Is there a SQL Agent they can load on Backup Exec that's running on the Netware server so they can ...

  1. What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server?

    I have a customer thats backing up a Windows 2000 server from their Netware
    6 server running Backup Exec 9. Is there a SQL Agent they can load on Backup
    Exec that's running on the Netware server so they can back it up? I know
    the agent is available for Backup Exec for windows. They are trying to backup
    Great Plains which is a SQL database. If there is an agent how can I tell
    if they have it installed already? I need to be able to tell them over the
    phone how to check it since they're a 3 hour drive for me. Thanks.

  2. Re: What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server?

    To do the flat file backup do you need to shutdown the SQL database and then
    do the backup? Currently when the backup runs it says the files were skipped
    since they are open.

    "Aaron" wrote:

    >I have a customer thats backing up a Windows 2000 server from their Netware
    >6 server running Backup Exec 9. Is there a SQL Agent they can load on Backup
    >Exec that's running on the Netware server so they can back it up? I know
    >the agent is available for Backup Exec for windows. They are trying to backup
    >Great Plains which is a SQL database. If there is an agent how can I tell
    >if they have it installed already? I need to be able to tell them over

    the
    >phone how to check it since they're a 3 hour drive for me. Thanks.

  3. Re: What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server?

    Yes, either shut down SQL, or dump the database(s) before backup time,
    and backup the dump instead of the active database.

    -Barry.

  4. Re: What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server?

    We have a MS-SQL 2000 CRM database. I scheduled a daily maintenance. routine to backup the database and transaction logs. Then have BackupExec Remote Agent for Widows backup the files. It has worked quite well and saves us the hassle of having to purchase the SQL Server agent.

  5. Re: What is required to backup MS SQL on a Windows server?

    Yeah, that's the way I do mine, as well.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread