BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All I have been trying to use the wndows based Admin console but I find it excruciatingly slow. It was taking 10 minutes to just open a job and another 10 minutes to submit it. I went to the ...

  1. BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    Hi All

    I have been trying to use the wndows based Admin console but I find it
    excruciatingly slow. It was taking 10 minutes to just open a job and another
    10 minutes to submit it. I went to the Server console and did it there and
    it took seconds.

    Is there any tips on how to optimize the console so doing a backup from
    it does not involve and all day task? It is hard for me to accept that Veritas/Symantec
    would put out a console that is so bad(speed wise not functionally) so I
    am guessing I am missing something here.

    Thanks

  2. Re: BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    Maybe Java needs a tweak:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/244286

    -Barry.

  3. Re: BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Maybe Java needs a tweak:
    >
    >http://support.veritas.com/docs/244286
    >
    >-Barry.

    Hi Barry,

    Thanks for the response, I do not think that is it however. I modified
    the java to use more memory and it did not seem to help. I also installed
    and ran the console from you new machine that has 2GB of RAM and 3 Ghz Core
    Duo chip and still got the sloooooooowwwww response when accessing the agents.

    It seems the problem is more on the server side java but I cannot find
    where to allocate more memory for that, if it is even possible.
    I actually timed it for one media server where there were about 3-4 Remote
    Agents and it took 3-4 minutes to bring up the agents. When I went to our
    other server where it has about 10 Remote agents it took 12 minutes to bring
    them up. so it takes aproximately 1 minute per remote agent to come up.
    If this was just a one time deal that would be fine but it seems that anytime
    you need to change something, like a job or you restore a set of files it
    takes another 10-15 minutes.
    I did go through and verify/fix some SLP settings and that seems to have
    helped it come up faster but the remote agent stuff is still pretty slow.

    Thanks

  4. Re: BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    Brett Littrell wrote:

    > Barry St.John wrote:
    > > Maybe Java needs a tweak:
    > >
    > > http://support.veritas.com/docs/244286
    > >
    > > -Barry.
    > >

    > Hi Barry,
    >
    > Thanks for the response, I do not think that is it however. I
    > modified the java to use more memory and it did not seem to help. I
    > also installed and ran the console from you new machine that has 2GB
    > of RAM and 3 Ghz Core Duo chip and still got the sloooooooowwwww
    > response when accessing the agents.
    > It seems the problem is more on the server side java but I cannot
    > find where to allocate more memory for that, if it is even possible.
    > I actually timed it for one media server where there were about
    > 3-4 Remote Agents and it took 3-4 minutes to bring up the agents.
    > When I went to our other server where it has about 10 Remote agents
    > it took 12 minutes to bring them up. so it takes aproximately 1
    > minute per remote agent to come up. If this was just a one time
    > deal that would be fine but it seems that anytime you need to change
    > something, like a job or you restore a set of files it takes another
    > 10-15 minutes. I did go through and verify/fix some SLP settings
    > and that seems to have helped it come up faster but the remote agent
    > stuff is still pretty slow.

    This sounds like an SLP issue to me. Have a look at:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/276362

  5. Re: BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    I agree w/Chris this sounds like an SLP issue.

    I also wonder about your SMDR config. If any of your servers have both
    public and private interfaces, you want to be sure that SMDR binds only
    to the private interface.

    Along that same line, you want to be sure you are using all private
    addresses in your NDMPSVRS.DAT and HOSTS files, as well.

    As for tweaking Java on the server:

    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10070512.htm

    -Barry.

  6. Re: BE 9.2 Console Is extremely slow

    If you don't need Novell Cluster Services, in the administration console:

    Tools, Options, Media Server, Network Tab, Enable "Speed File Browsing"

    The console still isn't very speedy since it is written in Java but this
    setting makes it much more usable.

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > I agree w/Chris this sounds like an SLP issue.
    >
    > I also wonder about your SMDR config. If any of your servers have both
    > public and private interfaces, you want to be sure that SMDR binds only
    > to the private interface.
    >
    > Along that same line, you want to be sure you are using all private
    > addresses in your NDMPSVRS.DAT and HOSTS files, as well.
    >
    > As for tweaking Java on the server:
    >
    > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10070512.htm
    >
    > -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread