What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments - Veritas Backup Exec ; When we try to duplicate our B2D to tape, we get this error: Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid arguments. (24606) Veritas/Symantec website is useless for this one....

  1. What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments

    When we try to duplicate our B2D to tape, we get this error:

    Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    arguments. (24606)

    Veritas/Symantec website is useless for this one.

  2. Re: What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > When we try to duplicate our B2D to tape, we get this error:
    >
    > Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    > arguments. (24606)
    >
    > Veritas/Symantec website is useless for this one.

    How many 'tapes' does the original backup job span across?

    And what version/build of Backup Exec do you have (check
    :\bkupexec\version.doc)?

    Chris

  3. Re: What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments

    In article <44f408e2@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    >
    > > When we try to duplicate our B2D to tape, we get this error:
    > >
    > > Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    > > arguments. (24606)
    > >
    > > Veritas/Symantec website is useless for this one.

    > How many 'tapes' does the original backup job span across?
    >
    > And what version/build of Backup Exec do you have (check
    > :\bkupexec\version.doc)?
    >
    > Chris

    The B2D runs fine (the nightly jobs use 1 "tape". The "full" uses about
    5 "tapes"). the duplicate should only ever use one tape (they can hold
    I think 50 GB uncompressed).

    Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1152

  4. Re: What does this error mean? Function was called with invalid arguments

    Kevin Hurni wrote:

    > In article <44f408e2@ROSASTDMZ05.>, nospam@myrealbox.com says...
    > > Kevin Hurni wrote:
    > >
    > > > When we try to duplicate our B2D to tape, we get this error:
    > > >
    > > > Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid
    > > > arguments. (24606)
    > > >
    > > > Veritas/Symantec website is useless for this one.

    > > How many 'tapes' does the original backup job span across?
    > >
    > > And what version/build of Backup Exec do you have (check
    > > :\bkupexec\version.doc)?
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > The B2D runs fine (the nightly jobs use 1 "tape". The "full" uses
    > about 5 "tapes"). the duplicate should only ever use one tape (they
    > can hold I think 50 GB uncompressed).
    >
    > Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1152

    Your first step should be to update the build of Backup Exec:

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/282294

  5. Re: What does this error mean? Function was called with invalidarguments

    This is from an earlier thread that I responded to:
    I also have this problem, but I decides to investigate it further.

    > Sometimes the job fails and I get error messages:
    > - "Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation

    is not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted."

    This error happens if a duplicate fails for some reason and the original
    job is rescheduled, the next time the B2D job runs and starts duplicate
    to tape it will read the old info from the duplicatejob and try to
    duplicate the data from the previous job, if that data was erased from
    the set due to overwrite protection it will never find the data.

    Hmm, to clear up things:

    1. Job runs scheduled on monday to disk, duplicate fails.
    2. Overwrite protection for the monday job expires.
    3. Next monday, backup to disk runs OK.
    4 Duplicate job starts, read old info from the job and tries to
    duplicate the data from previous monday, as it is overwritten the
    duplicate job will fail with correct error:
    Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation is
    not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted.

    To fix it? Delete the duplicate job, edit the backup job and recreate
    the duplicate.

    > - " Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid

    arguments. (24606)"

    This one is odd. I have salvaged all old jobs from BKUPEXEC folders to
    try to find out what happened.
    Here is a duplicate job:
    /_TPNUM:338ca005
    /_TPSEQ:14
    /_BSNUM:61
    /_BSNUM:62
    /_BSNUM:63
    /_BSNUM:64
    "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"

    And here is a duplicate job that fails:
    /_TPNUM:338da470
    /_TPSEQ:e
    /_BSNUM:53
    /_BSNUM:54
    /_BSNUM:55
    /_BSNUM:56
    "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"

    Spot the difference?

    TPSEQ:14 in one case and TPSEQ:e in the other, well, hex e is decimal
    14. Looks like a bug in BackupExec, it can read decimal 14 but fails
    with an invalid argument with hex e.

    But to report this to Symantec is like fly to the moon, it costs a
    fortune. You need a support contract.

    FWIW.

    Sincerely,
    Mikael Carlsson
    Novell CNE 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x

  6. Re: What does this error mean? Function was called with invalidarguments

    In article <44fbda38@ROSASTDMZ05.>, mikael.carlsson@addpro.se says...
    > This is from an earlier thread that I responded to:
    > I also have this problem, but I decides to investigate it further.
    >
    > > Sometimes the job fails and I get error messages:
    > > - "Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation

    > is not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted."
    >

    > This error happens if a duplicate fails for some reason and the original
    > job is rescheduled, the next time the B2D job runs and starts duplicate
    > to tape it will read the old info from the duplicatejob and try to
    > duplicate the data from the previous job, if that data was erased from
    > the set due to overwrite protection it will never find the data.
    >
    > Hmm, to clear up things:
    >
    > 1. Job runs scheduled on monday to disk, duplicate fails.
    > 2. Overwrite protection for the monday job expires.
    > 3. Next monday, backup to disk runs OK.
    > 4 Duplicate job starts, read old info from the job and tries to
    > duplicate the data from previous monday, as it is overwritten the
    > duplicate job will fail with correct error:
    > Media sequence 51 of family 0x342b7bb3 required for the operation is
    > not present in the Backup-to-Disk Folder. The job will be aborted.
    >
    > To fix it? Delete the duplicate job, edit the backup job and recreate
    > the duplicate.
    >
    > > - " Job completed: With ERROR - The function was called with invalid

    > arguments. (24606)"
    >

    > This one is odd. I have salvaged all old jobs from BKUPEXEC folders to
    > try to find out what happened.
    > Here is a duplicate job:
    > /_TPNUM:338ca005
    > /_TPSEQ:14
    > /_BSNUM:61
    > /_BSNUM:62
    > /_BSNUM:63
    > /_BSNUM:64
    > "++DUPLICATE_JOB:\*.*"
    >
    > And here is a duplicate job that fails:
    > /_TPNUM:338da470
    > /_TPSEQ:e
    > /_BSNUM:53
    > /_BSNUM:54
    > /_BSNUM:55
    > /_BSNUM:56

    thanks. what you describe is exactly what's happening. Yeah, we got
    the sob story from Symantec about how "mean novell" won't give "poor
    symantec" the API's and that's why their software doesn't run well
    (compared to Commvault, etc.) Of course Netware and now BackupExec are
    pretty much EOL, so I guess we'll be looking for better alternatives for
    OES Linux (ie: NOT Symantec).

+ Reply to Thread